Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: La Fee
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Herr Hepcat
I'm vastly becoming a fan of La Fee. As I mentioned in another thread, I like it for the whole pakage. So it's obviously artificail green, ok, I still like that its green. Louches well, and has, in my opinion, a very plesent taste. The UE68 is still great, but the La Fee is becoming my 'everyday' Absinthe.
BlackJack
I had a couple of glasses the other night. I hadn't touched the bottle in a year or so. I don't know if it improved with age, but it was better than I remembered. However, in addition to being REALLY FUCKING GREEN and oily, it has an overly bitter finish that isn't masked by the sugar already added, or by adding more. I followed it with a glass of Segarra and found the latter much nicer.
Herr Hepcat
QUOTE (BlackJack @ Oct 26 2003, 03:07 PM)
REALLY FUCKING GREEN

laugh.gif I like that it's REALLY FUCKING GREEN

I get a kick out of it. (No hiding that it's artificially colored eh?)
greeneyes
I don't mind admitting that I like the La Fée. True, it's anything but subtle, and I have to be in the mood for it (or out of my favorites), but it's potable.
Kallisti
It's excellent in Sprite at the movie theater. Mmmmm.
Icarus
Did I mention that I hate la fee?

Ok... just checking.

I poured some into a cup'O'joe at the mayors. It took all I had to gag it down.

It's better than poo, but only slightly. chop.gif
Zouave
La Fee was my first absinthe way back when it was only available from Tucson, and it's what got me started on this new addic- uh - journey.

Look, we all know it's not "authentic" as aggressively advertised - but - I still think it's a delicious drink. The deep green is aesthetically attractive, if not representative of any color in nature, and for some reason, it packs a mean secondary punch.

So, while the Emiles and a few HG's have spoiled me, I still maintain a supply of La Fee because every once in a while it's the one I crave.
Icarus
I'm not knocking preference. I understand that in the world of commercial, La Fee is an acceptable alternative...

I just don't like it.

Hell, I like Kubler. I'm sure there are others that hate it.

Preference baby, it's all about preference. Beer.gif
Zouave
Preference baby, it's all about preference.

It sure is.. Look, almost everyone seems to like Francois Guy.. I can't even finish one glass of it. Now, about Kubler.. just got a small bottle of 57.. much better than last year's model. I was pleasantly surprised. shock.gif
Head_prosthesis
I poured some into a cup'O'joe at the mayors. It took all I had to gag it down.

Nothing really "tastes" any better in the Morning Eye Opener.
Fanatique D'Absinthe
I'm still patiently awaiting my first bottle of La Fee w00t1.gif In general most of the comments about this particular brand of absinthe have been good, and have bolstered my fascination about absinthe in general. Let's hope that Unca Sammy's sticky fingered "I am the judger of what the government calls acceptable morals" inspectors don't notice my little parcel.

and for some reason, it packs a mean secondary punch.

Zouve, could you expound a bit on this for me? Are you talking about the small amount of chop.gif that's in it, or just about the strength of the alcohol content in general?
le Gimp
I like La Fee' except the color. The taste reminds me of the absinthe I had in Spain many (30) years ago. I don't even use sugar with it since it is Sugar.gif enough by itself.

Zouave
Zouve, could you expound a bit on this for me? Are you talking about the small amount of  that's in it, or just about the strength of the alcohol content in general?

Neither. I'm referring to the herbal effect of the drink over and above the alcohol buzz, known generally as "secondary effects". La Fee, for whatever reason, seems to consistently provide me with very pleasant secondaries. These "effects", though, vary by individual. Fortunately, I'm very susceptible to them. If this is all news to you, Fan D'Abs, read the FAQ's, and you'll get a better idea of what on earth I'm talking about.
Gonzo44
Secondary effects! Yes, I know this. w00t2.gif I might regret sharing but...what the hey! Try mixing Ricards pastis (the only pastis I can get at the Liquor store here) and mix it 3:1 with 94% alcohol the mix to taste with water. It's all about the secondary effects. No charts, no scientific proof, just that little electrical feeling I get at the tip of my fingers. (And an enhanced view of the world around me, woof! sleepy.gif lol.) Granted! There's lots of alcohol involved but it's just such a different buzz. Warning kids, not too much. The hangovers are killers. dev.gif
Rimbaud
*ducks*
Kallisti
now that's the first anise high I've heard reported.
Kirk
Secondaries shmeckendaries peewee.gif
Kirk
Those first ethers to reach my brain
those faintest feathers that make the stain
those first ethers to reach the top
their the ones that make me pop
secondaries are drunken faerys ,
on those first ethers to form a drop
Rimbaud
QUOTE (kirk @ Nov 6 2003, 03:58 PM)
Those first ESTHERS to reach my brain...

???
Kirk
ok maybe I was thinking of esters
Kirk
I know , how about ethers? Now does it work?
BlackJack
Nyquil gives me tertiaries...
Kirk
Sorry for
subjecting you all to the really bad poetry.
What I wanted to ask ;is it possible that the secondaries are due to the shape of the still?
Could those higer ethers result in a clearer drunk?
Why else is shape so important?

The air is thinner at the top then the top of my head
If I hadn't found this site there'd be a hole in my
er uh.... pocket
Felis Catus
The first abinthe I tried was Un Emile 68. I had
some light secondary effects,just feeling "woken
up" and more interested in my surroundings,
even the inane stuff. blink.gif

I want to try La Fee next.Green happens to be
my favorite color,in many different shades,
but I admit the [COLOR=green]Green of La Fee
is alluring.I also like the label and the spoon. alien2.gif I did also read the reviews and
liked what I read for the most part.After all
you can't taste green.

Some people can though-those with synthesesia(sp)
have crossed senses..I have this in a mild form..
I "feel" sound,and no I am not ON ANYTHING
while this happens. hula-1.gif

looking-up.gif
Felis Catus
Sanford and Son was a fun show..I really dug
the theme music. heart.gif

Esther was a strong female role model too. DarthVader2.gif

looking-up.gif
pierreverte
>Green happens to be
my favorite color,

me, too.

>in many different shades,
but I admit the [COLOR=green]Green of La Fee
is alluring.

just wait

>After all you can't taste green.

yes, you can, if it is from plants
Larspeart
I have never been ashamed to say that I like Le Fee. I really do. It isn't my favorite, but I do rank it above at least one of the UE's. The green of it is all artificial, and I know this. Few people don't really. Fact is, I don't care about preservatives in my food, IR treatment of my beef, or whatever. If I was a health nut, I wouldn't be here, and I wouldn't be drinking absinthe, right? So, moving on. . .

The taste is good. It is noticably oily, but I kind of like that about it. If not for the oil feel, it woudl be a fairly harsh absinthe, but for some reason, the oils 'smooth' it out a bit. I think it is well-balanced, without anything being too overbearing to make it unpalatable.

As far as secondfairies. . . Yup, I get those off of Le Fee quite a bit, whereas with an UE, it is only the most subtile of feelings; a slight awakedness. Le Fee gives what I can only describe as 'the full-out fairies'; my perception seems clearer/brighter, I get a 'buzz' that is definately not alcohol related, music sounds better, art looks better. Call it what you will, but that's the case for me. Your results may vary.

I have none at home, and since I have 3 bottle of UE, and 2 moonman's on the way, I am good for now, but I'll probably order a bottle of Le Fee before the end of the year. It may last 6 months before it gets finished, but it won't be forgotten.

chop.gif

Herr Hepcat
QUOTE (Gonzo44 @ Nov 6 2003, 10:42 AM)
Secondary effects! Yes, I know this. w00t2.gif I might regret sharing but...what the hey! Try mixing Ricards pastis (the only pastis I can get at the Liquor store here) and mix it 3:1 with 94% alcohol the mix to taste with water. It's all about the secondary effects. No charts, no scientific proof, just that little electrical feeling I get at the tip of my fingers. (And an enhanced view of the world around me, woof! sleepy.gif lol.) Granted! There's lots of alcohol involved but it's just such a different buzz. Warning kids, not too much. The hangovers are killers. dev.gif

Winston Nomination?
Zouave
pierreverte Posted on Nov 7 2003, 05:11 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Green happens to be
my favorite color,

me, too.

just wait

What a tease.....

Felis Catus
Alot of green plants smell green,so I suppose
liqour made from greenery can also taste that
way.I did not taste anything green in Un Emile.
First try it was bitter as hell with a little anise
and flowery undertaste.When tried with different
amount of water I did like it,and then it tasted
of mild anise and something garden-y.

I think I read in the reviews that La Fee has
little anise flavor,which is fine with me.I can tolerate
it,but it's not a favorite flavor.

My mother likes to put fennel in her salads.Ick,
although they are'nt bad with rasberry vinegrette.

How about an absinthe/rasberry soda "cooler".
Yikes.

Steve
I think I read in the reviews that La Fee has
little anise flavor

This is so not true. When I first tasted it (neat) chez Peter, I remarked on the strong anise flavor.

But that's not the reason I hate La Fée, I like anise.

Reasons I hate La Fée:
1. Artificially colored beyond all reason.
2. It has that Deva tails taste to my palate. Probably not accurate, but that's what it reminds me of.
3. It's just not that good...
Icarus
2. It has that Deva tails taste to my palate. Probably not accurate,

It tasted very unclean to me too.
Felis Catus
I still want to try it for it's other qualities.I read alot
of reviews late one night and obviously confused
La Fee with something else supposedly having
less anise flavor.I will have to go back and
read again when I am more awake.Maybe today.

looking-up.gif
Herr Hepcat
I think trying it would be a good a good idea, if you read through this forum, Some people really like it, some think it's ok, some hate it.

Try it and get your own opinion, which is the best advice anyone can give you with this brand.

Other brands, which everyone here considers swill, don't waste your money. Thanks to this site, Sebors is the only Cech absinthe I've I've ever bought. Didn't like it, glad I had it.
I_B_Puffin
When you read old reviews remember that when La Fee came out it was as good as any commercially produced absinthe at that time. Since then however several better produced absinthes have become available.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE (Felis Catus @ Nov 7 2003, 05:40 PM)
How about an absinthe/rasberry soda "cooler".
Yikes.

It's already being done...go to LoucheFestWest.
chefpunk
Love La fee

It is my In A Good Mood absinthe abs-cheers.gif
Jack Batemaster
Yes, it's quite stupidiously craptacular!
Wilson
La Fee Absinthe Parisienne (my first review)

COLOR BEFORE WATER 4/10
Artificial, bright green color, clear but unnatural. At least it's clear. I took it in a dark room fully expecting it to glow, but I was disappointed.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Oil contrails started dancing as soon as the first drop of water hit the surface. The oil contrails continued until about 1 to .5 when all of a sudden the clouds explode and fall to the bottom of the glass. By the time I hit 1 to 1, it was completely opaque all the way to the top. Oil contrails still visible and in full motion. Wow! Very hypnotic. What a show! This is the best part of this absinthe. If you pour the water too fast, it still louches!

COLOR AFTER WATER 5/10
Looks like a slice of Key Lime Pie. Took it back in the dark to see if it glows. Bummer. Other than the fake green, it looks good. Not as bad as before water though, but still fake. Oil slick on top makes it look like a puddle of anti-freeze in the parking lot of Wal*Mart on a hot summer day. Better keep the neighborhood cats away.

AROMA 15/30
Uncap the bottle and sniff. Sweet, anise, and flowers, and slight alcohol, but not intense. Poured in the glass and it is just more intense, but not overpowering. Scent during louching not much stronger. Did not fill the room, but I think I would need another person standing at a distance to make sure. Scent after louching seems the same. It never gets better. It's not bad an any way, but leaves me wanting more from it.

MOUTH-FEEL 6/10
Nothing spectacular. It's smooth, but not thick. Not unpleasant at all.

TASTE 8/20
Taste of anise and other herbs. Not bad, but too sweet. Simple and not too intense. Too much alcohol bite, but I have it mixed at 1 to 3. Probably a bit too much for such a high alcohol content. Thinking about the aforementioned anti-freeze.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 6/10
Not bad, but not natural, and I find it lacking. Who the hell is this Madame Delahaye they keep talking about? This could have been much better absinthe with just a little work.

Wilson scores La Fee Absinthe Parisienne 53 out of 100

But Wait! There's more!

After hearing about the Tremblement de Terre (earthquake), I decided to try this with La Fee. Here is another review for this this absinthe as mixed for this drink. I think you will be surprised. Normally you would mix the drink and add the cognac, but for this, I added the cognac first.

1oz La Fee and .5oz Martell Cognac

COLOR BEFORE WATER 7/10
The color is no longer green, but golden green and looks more natural. Like an aged absinthe.

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Oil contrails started dancing as soon as the first drop of water hit the surface. The oil contrails continued until about 1 to 1 when all of a sudden the clouds start at the bottom of the glass. By the time I hit 1 to 3, it was completely opaque all the way to the top. Not quite the show of the plain stuff, but still a very nice louche. I did not expect it to louche that well with the cognac premixed. If you pour the water too fast, it will not louche. This is much more natural, and still a great show when done correctly.

COLOR AFTER WATER 6/10
Looks much better. Not fake at all. Still has the oil slick on top, but it still keeps the oil contrails moving around and I am still entertained.

AROMA 20/30
Before louche, you can tell the cognac is there. This is a new story. Nice.

After louche, much more aromatic. Not room filling, but a big improvement on the original. There must have been no grape alcohol in the original for this to make so much difference.

MOUTH-FEEL 6/10
Thicker and very smooth. Slight numbing of the tongue, but not overpowering. I was expecting more alcohol bite, but it isn't there.

TASTE 13/20
This is like a whole new Absinthe. I am amazed at the difference. I would not be embarrassed to serve this to friends. I just wouldn't let them watch.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 7/10
Just adding some grape alcohol makes all the difference in the world for this Absinthe. If you have a bottle sitting around, this will salvage it. Give it a shot.

Wilson scores La Fee Absinthe Parisienne 68 out of 100

That is a 15 point increase by addition of Martell cognac. Impressive to say the least. I did not expect that much of an improvement. I even rechecked my math. I would like to hear some other impressions to help confirm or dispel this.
OCvertDe
Aside from the Alienware green, I love my LaFee. The only reason I won't buy it again is that I can get Lucid so much cheaper that I just can't justify it. If it were available here at DrinkUpNY like Kubler and Lucid, and was priced comparably, I would certainly buy it again. If nothing else, it's a great introduction to Absinthe for anyone who may not be ready for the multi-dimensional complexity and true flavor of a higher quality product. Some people just won't appreciate (or even enjoy) a good red wine until they've been broken in on a blush for awhile… especially if all they ever drank before was wine coolers… ya know?
Anyway, I'm holding off on submitting any reviews on anything until I've tried several more Absinthes, particularly those that are unarguably considered to be far superior like the new Doubs or one of the Jades, etc; and gotten a fountain so that I can quantify my impressions of the louche with repeatable accuracy. I know, I could do that without a fountain, but I'm not going to waste money on a dripper, seesaw, or anything else like that when I already know I want a Legler-Pernod-mini.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.