Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Picture
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Mr. Creepy's Art Hole
Artemis
z
hartsmar
Wow... That was... A Flower.
D. Gray
Very art nouveau.
Artemis
That flower came from a tree!

This was a lesson in seizing the day. The tree came into blossom a week ago. I had been close to the tree before, but never while it was in flower. From a distance, it looked like the tree was covered in popcorn; popcorn falling gently on the wind. I must go and take a picture of that tree, I thought. I saw it in some beautiful light, too, but I was lazy and it was hot. Yesterday it rained all day, and it was windy. I got out of a car and saw a flower (the one in the picture) floating in a puddle at my feet - I thought an accident had taken place with a flower arrangement or something - then I realized that the popcorn was more complex than I had imagined. Today the tree is beat to hell by the rain and the blossoms are starting to rot. The story of the moral is, don't fuck around and be lazy, or you'll have to wait a whole year to seize a fleeting moment.

hartsmar
And all that from.. A flower.

I'm amazed.

Artemis
Possibly you're just being sarcastic. It's hard to tell.

Buddha held up a flower in front of an audience of 1250 monks and nuns.

Mahakashyapa smiled.

Buddha smiled back and said, "I have a treasure
of insight, and I have transmitted it to Mahakashyapa."
Hiram
Oh, man! That's a catalpa tree, isn't it? I haven't seen one in probably 16 or 17 years. I didn't recognize the single flower.

When I was a kid we used to pretend the long pods were cigars. I can still remember the sweet fragrance of a long line of them along my great grand parents country lane in Kentucky. Takes me back, Artemis. Thanks!
Artemis
I didn't know what kind of tree it was, but yes it does have long bean pods in season. This particular one is almost 40 feet tall, a very impressive tree in every way (leaves, bark, the form of the branches, etc.). It's not uncommon up here (almost Canada), but there aren't exactly a LOT of them around, either. Thanks for the name - now I know what to look for to get one for my place.
Hiram
I was under the impression you were in the south. Anyway, this is what you're after.
Artemis
I have a foot in two worlds, one under the stars and bars, and the other under the Northern Lights. I love them both, but the South is my roots and my return.

The tree in my picture is in the northern-most part of its range (thanks for the website; GREAT resource!).

I long ago noticed them in Kentucky, apparently near their own birthplace, but never looked at them up close. Just another lesson in how one must take time to smell the roses.
hartsmar
QUOTE (Artemis @ Jun 12 2004, 08:12 AM)
Possibly you're just being sarcastic.

Actually, no.
Artemis
Not that that's a BAD thing ....... evill.gif
Yve
yes, very art nouveau
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.