Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vintage hills??????
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
badger
I was reading in "Absinthe sip of seduction," about the various countries and absinthe. As I was reading the section on the Czech Republic, there was a little history of Hills. Appearantly Hills had been producing absinthe since the 1920's but than was halted due to communism, but after the fall, production ran once again. Does this mean that somewhere there are vintage bottles of Hills floating around? It would be interesting to see if the vintage was anything like the current, which I pray to god wouldn't be. It would be interesting to find some pictures of vintage bottles of Hills, eventhough it's a bad absinthe.
Absomphe
Still believing everything you read, eh?

I've got some shares in this bridge in Brooklyn, that I'm looking to sell...

Let's do lunch! w00t2.gif
hartsmar
The Hill's distillery might very well have been in production in the 1920's, and then stopped by communism... They didn't produce absinthe then, and they're not doing it now.
musicgeek
Hartsmar has a review of "vintage" Hills on his web site.
Icarus
They didn't produce absinthe then, and they're not doing it now.

abs-cheers.gif Nice one.
lautrec's cane
Badger, I wish I could be like you and ask all the right questions.
badger
QUOTE (lautrec's cane @ Jun 13 2004, 03:33 PM)

I know. I love it. harhar.gif
morgueann
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... some good green dyed vodka still run off......
Absomphe
QUOTE (lautrec's cane @ Jun 13 2004, 04:33 PM)

Who knows, Lautrec?

Someday, that idiot savancy, might just kick in.

But , I understand there's a vaccine that might provide some immunity... chickawow.gif
Gertz
QUOTE (badger @ Jun 13 2004, 07:36 PM)
but than was halted due to communism,

It wasn't. They just used it in the MIGs.
hartsmar
WMD's

morgueann
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Jun 14 2004, 12:54 PM)
WMD's

thats all you need right there. wormwood extract infused, green dyed, vodka still run-off and some wmd's. one hell of a party. chickawow.gif
Perruche_verte
They really did make absinthe in 1920. Their traditional French recipe was hand-delivered to Mr. Albin Hill by Mr. Alfred Jarry, who descended from Heaven in the arms of a six-winged proto-Cubist seraph, handed a slip of paper to Mr. Hill, and flew away without a word.

Unfortunately, the recipe on that slip of paper was not written in any known human language, so Mr. Hill promptly made one up and claimed it was the original, which was locked in a safe inside Hills HQ and remains undecoded to this day.

When the Velvet Revolution came and Czechoslovakia made the peaceful transition to democracy, the safe was opened again by employees of Radomil Hill and found to be empty.

All extant bottles, labels and advertising materials from Hills Absinth, c.1920, were simultaneously found to have vanished.

Did Jarry return to claim his unearthly secrets? Or did Hills Absinth belong to a place not of this world?

A place we call...

...you guessed it.
Conju
You sure can spin a good one, perruche!
morgueann
QUOTE (conju @ Jun 15 2004, 03:49 AM)
You sure can spin a good one, perruche!

hey perruche, mind if i copyright that to sell to hill's for a back-of-the-bottle label? wink.gif
G&C
Very nice!
Perruche_verte
"mind if I copyright that to sell to Hill's"

I'm hoping a contract is on the way, but it hasn't arrived yet. Their courier service leaves much to be desired.
badger
Silly as this thread maybe. As silly as you think my question of vintage Hills may be. It was an honest question. If anyone should be ridiculed it should be Betty for publishing the fact that Hills absinth was around since 1920 which would make any bottle from that period vintage. Don't think of me as the idiot rather Betty for publishing that grain of crap in her book.
Conju
frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif

Not enough colorforms in the world....
badger
QUOTE (conju @ Jun 16 2004, 07:03 AM)
frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif

Not enough colorforms in the world....

I appreciate your proverb, but why would Betty publish such crap in her book? Because she's stupid and arrogant and feels the need to charge poor folks $150 for a bottle of Mari Mayans? Or because she "formally introduced absinthe into the US." What a load.
MrsAbsomphe
I can think of a number of descriptives that have been used, in reference to Betty, but, sorry Badger, I don't think "idiot" applies here.

Perhaps some archival research, and a thesaurus, would be of help.

JAMBO!!!
You need to have a working crap-o-meter of your own, though, too.

Do you believe that Butty should sell hers for twice the going price of the Frenchman or Markus? Do you believe that Czech crap is really lovingly handcrafted in the ancient family traditions using only the finest of baby frogs, dew-picked and lightly killed, coated in lark's vomit and frosted with glucose? Is chop.gif really the answer? What was the question again?

Some of our colleagues, whom I will not refer to as "peers" since I am not yet in the same league as they are, less genty pointed this out: don't believe anything you read, at least without knowing a little something yourself.

If I had asked the question of this group, I would have maybe said:

"Hey guys! I'm new and likely being misled, but Butty's book says Hill's has been manufacturing absinth for 80 years. But since it's Czech, I'm sure that's no more true than their claims of quality! unsure.gif What do you think?"

So rather than sort of blunder into my own post, I created a context for my question and set a .tone whereby everyone can perhaps poke a little fun at me, but also helps to target the real derision where it is most deserved: false claims and those who make them.

Hone the skills you gleaned from highschool, junior..... harhar.gif
musicgeek
JAMBO!!! takes the award for #1 newbie.

(Myself excluded of course.)
G&C
I don't see MC as your title.
musicgeek
Since I am now an "elitist bastard" I figured I'd better start acting like one.
G&C
Oh.
Conju

<----- biggrin.gif
tabreaux
QUOTE (badger @ Jun 16 2004, 06:56 AM)
Silly as this thread maybe.  As silly as you think my question of vintage Hills may be.  It was an honest question.  If anyone should be ridiculed it should be Betty for publishing the fact that Hills absinth was around since 1920 which would make any bottle from that period vintage.  Don't think of me as the idiot rather Betty for publishing that grain of crap in her book.

To give an honest answer...

Hills claims they first made 'absinth' back circa 1920. Ok, we'll give them the benefit of the doubt. However, given the materials and methods regading their current product and publicized comments from Mr. Hill with respect to the same, it seems to imply little chance of any real similarity between the alleged product of old and the new. This may be due to reasons of economics or an absence of information for how the original was formulated, or...?

Assuming an original did exist at all, for all we know it may very well have been a briefly produced, poor quality product that tasted like ass and flopped miserably. In any case, this is rather insignificant at this point, simply because there seems to have been no real tradition of 'absinth' in the Czech Republic until the Czechs recently discovered the profitability of fabricating one.
thegreenimp
This must have been Hill's 1920 coloring step.
Absomphe
That's probably Mr. Hill, on the label, in drag.
Gertz
There is some similarity with this mr. Hill.
Absomphe
Isn't that Jack Black? shock.gif
Absomphe
Or Meatloaf?
Gertz
Bat out of Hill's
Absomphe
worshippy.gif
badger
Direct from Millloafs hit album Bat out of Hill's and tour circa 1920.
"And I would do anything for profit
But I won't do quaility."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.