Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A sip, of a Sip of Seduction
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Oxygenee
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...54&category=276

The first extract I've seen, albeit a very brief one, from the Empress of Elixirs new book.

Stylistically, whoever wrote the review, it wasn't Bettina....
Icarus
Looks like someone with connections in the publishing world (or else paper removal).

$8? Almost worth it.
Kallisti
Proofs hit the secondary markets frequently. But I have been informed that the first paperback copies have arrived and can be ordered directly through the publisher.

Step right up!

high.gif
GreenDesert
I ordered the limited edition. It's supposed to ship end of the month. I've seen the manuscript and if for no other reason than the artwork, it's worth it.
crosby
QUOTE (Icarus @ Oct 25 2003, 08:32 PM)
$8? Almost worth it.

censored2.gif

Kallisti
I got my comp copies today... the pictures are pretty...

and I see Dita floating in an absinthe martini cocktail in there.
Kallisti
First perusal and I am pleasantly surprised. Reasonably well written, well illustrated, but no revelations for those already deeply enthused over absinthe.

The review section is nice, with about 16 brands, good and bad, well reviewed. One of the only books so far to address some of our myth busting issues about thujone, effects, quality etc.

And I am more than relieved that a blurb I supplied on request did not make the cut. It was terrible.
Rimbaud
My hardcover copy should be arriving soon...
Marc Chevalier

Kallisti, can I pick your brain and ask if the book mentions cafés and restaurants that serve absinthe? And if so, does it mention the Café Berrí in Santiago, Chile? Thanks!

Kallisti
waah! I didn't bring it to work.

it does list cafes and bars around the world. I'll try and remember to check when I get home tonight.
Marc Chevalier

Thanks! It should be in there ...

crosby
QUOTE (kallisti @ Oct 28 2003, 02:05 PM)
One of the only books so far to address some of our myth busting issues about thujone, effects, quality etc.

Ted's contribution, no doubt.
Kallisti
Chevy, indeed it does. Page 103. A couple Paragraphs about Absinthe in Chile ending with mention of your cafe and the address in the margin.
Marc Chevalier

A big-but-not-competing-with-Head kiss for you!

Oh, and trick-or-treat! I'm going as the Devil's advocate. A lawyer like that has so many potential clients ...

Rimbaud
My copy just arrived!
Rimbaud
QUOTE (kallisti @ Oct 28 2003, 05:05 PM)
First perusal and I am pleasantly surprised.  Reasonably well written, well illustrated, but no revelations for those already deeply enthused over absinthe.

I have to agree with you on all accounts.

QUOTE (kallisti @ Oct 28 2003, 05:05 PM)
The review section is nice, with about 16 brands, good and bad, well reviewed.  One of the only books so far to address some of our myth busting issues about chop.gif, effects, quality etc.

The first absinthe in the review section is none other than Jade Liqueurs' Nouvelle Orleans!!!!
Kallisti
Yes! The same labeling from Peter's teaser too.

Curiouser and curiouser. looking-up.gif
Donnie Darko
Better post that review right now, or I'm gonna get ma gun...
Kallisti
Sorry, book is at home. Neener, neener.

Rimbaud?
Rimbaud
Here is the review, which is accompanied by a small pic of a bottle similar to the one that Peter posted here not too long ago. Warning: Excessive use of the word "yield" ahead.

Absinthe Nouvelle-Orleans
68 percent alc, 75 cl
Jade Liqueurs, Ltd.
www.bestabsinthe.com

Jade Liqueurs was founded by a group of American absinthe historians and scientists in an effort to recreate the Belle Epoque era absinthes with absolute historical authenticity. The Jade absinthes are purported to be marques of authenticity and quality and are available in limited supply. The sample submitted for this evaluation is known as Absinthe Nouvelle-Orleans.

This absinthe is a light vibrant green color, giving a nose that is soft and spicy, with distinct floral notes. The liquor yield2.gifs a strong louche upon the addition of water. The light aroma of the resultant mixture is deceiving, as the flavor yield2.gifs a stout complexity of successive textures. The anise is surpassed by a potent spice that yield2.gifs to a brief, mildly bitter finish, followed by soft aromatic notes that linger on the palate for several minutes. This finely crafted absinthe is as stimulating as it is unique.
Marc Chevalier

"Jade absinthes are ... available in limited supply."

Understatement of the year!

Marc Chevalier

I'll roll the dice and guess out loud that Jade's Nouvelle Orleans will be available to the rest of us by Christmas.

Only a hunch, mind you.

Wolfgang
And the latest news where that he was still looking for a distillery to produce his vintage repros... Was he just bluffing or have he jumped on the bootleg side ? DarthVader2.gif

Anyway, I'll believe it when Ted himself will say so. So far it's only news heard through the wind in the desert...
Marc Chevalier

True, Wolfgang ... and in any case, there are already some very nice "lune"-atic absinthes out there.

Here's to green (and white) moonbeams.

I_B_Puffin
QUOTE (Marc Chevalier @ Oct 31 2003, 08:22 AM)
I'll roll the dice and guess out loud that Jade's Nouvelle Orleans will be available to the rest of us by Christmas.

Only a hunch, mind you.

Chistmas of what year though? My prediction was that it would be available for the 100th anniversary of it being banned. So far I've seen nothing to make me think otherwise.
eric
A week before my accident, I was in New Orleans for a couple of days. After a couple of missed attempts I was able to meet with Ted at a place called El Matador. The Silver Tongued Devil directed Lizz, (my traveling companion) and myself outside to a public waste can. He then poured us servings of his Nouvelle-Orleans into plastic cups that he had placed on top of the receptacle. We added spring water and no sugar. It was probably the best absinthe that I have ever tasted. Rich and complex with a long floral finnish that had maybe a hint of sassafras. Of course he would not get into details, but he did seem to indicate that his products will indeed be available soon. We then went back into the club and watched an excellent Surf band while we sipped our absinthe. It was great.
I_B_Puffin
QUOTE (eric @ Oct 31 2003, 02:29 PM)
Rich and complex with a long floral finnish that had maybe a hint of sassafras.

Sassafras is also banned by the FDA for use in food, and drink, although I think there are some exceptions. I like the taste of Sassafras, but I doubt Ted would put it in there, because as far as I know I don't think it was in any authentic absinthe.

What's EUs regulations on Sassafras?
eric
I could be wrong, but I just thought that there was a Hint of sassafras in the finnish. It does seem that it is used in a lot on New Orleans cooking.
http://thecajunconnection.com/zat%20Gumbo%20File.html
Kirk
sassafras is an american tree so it would be surprising . My mom used to have me gather it when I was child in Indiana. She made a heavy sweet tea from it . I still collect it occasionaly for my self but had no idea it was a controled substance. Is nothing sacred?Is sassafras itself banned or just its dirivitives?
Donnie Darko
As far as I know, Nouvelle Orleans is not intended to be a direct reproduction of a specific vintage Absinthe, so adding sassafras is not out of the question. Sassafras is very common in the South, especially Louisiana, so I wouldn't be surprised if it Nouvelle Orleans contained Sassafras.

Funny enough, this is the 3rd absinthe I've heard of that reportedly uses Sassafras or Sarsaparilla (the other two being clandestinely produced).
Wolfgang
First a little bit of botanical references...

SARSAPARILLA
Sarsaparilla, the "good guy" drink of the early American western movies, is made from the dried roots of several various species of Smilax. Three of these are S. officinalis, S. papyracea, and S. medica. It does not come from the sassafras tree as some have been led to believe. Smilax plants, which are woody, thorny vines arising from swollen underground tubers, are abundant in Florida woodlands.

SASSAFRAS
Sassafras is a tree of the laurel family, Sassafras variifolium and S. albidum. The leaves, stem bark, and root bark contain volatile oils and odors. In Florida, sassafras spreads rapidly over abandoned fields by means of suckers from the roots. The bark is sometimes used in water as a tea. Also, the oil is sometimes distilled from the roots.

ref.: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/scripts/MV130

Ted will probably provide us with more official infos eventually but until then, let's share what we've learn from the time when he was more talkative over here.

If I'm not mistaking his Nouvelle-Orleans is a repro or at least is inspired from vintage Herbsaint absinthe, for obvious trademark reasons, he could not use this name today (unless he make some deal with the actual producer of the Herbsaint pastis, who knows! ).

"this is the 3rd absinthe I've heard of that reportedly uses Sassafras or Sarsaparilla (the other two being clandestinely produced)."

His Nouvelle-Orleans is probably clandestinely produced, unless he found a distillery outside of the US where to produce it. Of course to us absintheurs, it is not really important, as long as the product is good and somehow availlable...

One of those 3 absinthes you'r talking about his probably Moonman's Absintheauthentique "Larmes de Lune", of which some more bottles are about to be made according to his web site. It would be interesting to compare the two and see if we can taste any similarity. Moonman use just a little bit of sarsaparilla in a mix of about 12 herbs in his Blanche absinthe "Larmes de Lune" and no sassafras at all. It would also be difficult to compare a blanche with a green. Anyway, here's an excuse to drink more good distilled absinthes so why not ?! .... If the upcoming release of this Nouvelle-Orleans is not just a rumorous tease of course.
I_B_Puffin
QUOTE (kirk @ Nov 2 2003, 06:59 PM)
I still collect it occasionaly for my self but had no idea it was a controled substance. Is nothing sacred?Is sassafras itself banned or just its dirivitives?

It's not a controlled substance. It is banned by the FDA as a food additive. You can still find sassafras for sale, but it can't be put into food. Check their website if you want the exact details, and regulations.

They probably did one of their studies where when feeding rats 100 times the amount a person would consume by body weight, the rats had an increase in liver cancer rates.

I occasionally drink sassafras tea, and don't worry about it's effects at all. If your drinking 10 cups a day or something like that you however might want to think about its health effects.
Lord Stanley
For anyone interested, Absinthe Sip of Seduction is available on Amazon for about $14.

I just received a copy. Not exactly an authoritative guide to all things absinthe but good artwork and decent light reading. Definitely worth $14.
Absomphe
And nicely illustrated.
Kirk
Not interested. Fuck her.
Absomphe
I'm already spoken for, but thanks for the offer. harhar.gif
traineraz
Ahh, I can see the second edition . . .

Where Betty adds the story of how a sip of absinthe helped her seduce Kirk! wub.gif
Absomphe
::::Running off in a frenzied panic now::::::
Kirk
QUOTE (traineraz @ May 9 2004, 12:43 AM)

Where Betty adds the story of how a sip of absinthe helped her seduce Kirk!  wub.gif

There's an old saying:

" Fool me once, shame on you , fool me again..

... uh, ..you , you're not gonna fool me again"
G.W. Bush
Absomphe
Bush?

Once a fool,

Always a fool.
Absomphe
Bush?

Once a fool,

Always a fool.

No wait.

The Fool was the sharpest tool in the box,

In King Lear.

So I take it back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.