Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: French Absinthe Sippers circa 1897
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Pages: 1, 2
Oxygenee
I came across this, which I thought might be of some interest.

From The Decatur Review, November 13th, 1897:
Hiram
Excellent find! Where did you get that and can I use it on the WS site?
Grim
Thank you, Oxy!
Greenmeanie
Most informative, Oxy. Thanks.
Conju
So that suggests most of us drink our absinthe waay too fast.
Gertz
My first thought exactly.
Hiram
Or too small, which a much more positive way to look at it.
Gertz
Still: half an hour to melt the sugar?
Hiram
The French are so aloof.
Perruche_verte
This is interesting. I was just pondering the question the other day, what is the perfect louche? How long should it take, how should the drops be spaced?

Some people have mentioned that the brouilles (individual strainers) don't give a real drip like fountains, but a very thin slow stream. That seems to work well from a fountain too.

Usually I settle for slow, but not super-slow. When I'm drinking with friends and the fountain is being shared, I use a very fine trickle or a fairly fast drip. It doesn't seem to hurt the louche or the aroma of the drink to do it that way; just don't dump the water in like you're mixing Tang.
le Gimp
I normally set my drip at about one to two drops per second.

Unless I'm in a foul mood and rush it by going to four drops per second.

I sometimes forget that I have a glass in preparation when go out into the garage to work on something. This only to remember later that there is a glass of absinthe next to the computer dripping away. I then rush in to see that ther is still a half inch (an ounce) to go, and set down to wait for the glass to finish.

mr-rabid
I've taken to using a vintage hypodermic needle and omiting the water alltogether.
Absomphe
Phew...

I thought I was the only one!
Perruche_verte
A related question: what about the splash factor?

It's been observed that drops of water falling from some height onto a sugar cube will cause little sticky droplets to fall all over one's table, counter, bar top, etc.

Using a thin stream rather than drops will correct this problem to some extent.

I'm also told that this is why the glass of absinthe was traditionally served with a saucer, to help catch those droplets, but I don't see that this would suffice completely. The base of my fountain and my tabletop still get a certain amount of residue.
Pataphysician
just don't dump the water in like you're mixing Tang.

Like a Parisian waiter serves Pastis.
Conju
Actually I found that you can "dump" the water in, just let the drink sit for awhile before consumption.
Absomphe
It would be just like you, to DUMP in your absinthe, Boggles. harhar.gif

Happy almost, BTW.
justabob
QUOTE (Conju @ Aug 23 2004, 11:01 AM)
Actually I found that you can "dump" the water in, just let the drink sit for awhile before consumption.

I agree. I have a fountain here and use it when I what to demonstrate the ritual. But when drinking alone or with close friends I pour the booze add some ice and about three parts water. Then I let the drink sit for a couple of minutes to let the essential oils release. There is no difference in the final product.
Perruche_verte
That is a stunning discovery, if it's accurate, but I am reluctant to test it with the 'good stuff'.
Grim
QUOTE (Conju @ Aug 23 2004, 01:01 PM)

Now if only you had a good bottle to shake it up in...
Absomphe
I agree, but the slowly developing louche is so much a part of the relaxing, involving ritual, that I would be loathe to give it up, for the sake of convenience.

Still, I'll definitely give it a try on some lesser stuff.
Artemis
I've taken to using a vintage hypodermic needle and omiting the water alltogether.

Dilettante! I use a vintage clyster rig, with a gold-lated ibis head at the business end.
Greenmeanie
The louche, when done with a quality product such as NO or VS, is just so friggin' cool!
justabob
QUOTE (Artemis @ Aug 23 2004, 01:34 PM)
Dilettante! I use a vintage clyster rig, with a gold-lated ibis head at the business end.

Excellent Idea Artemis. Which reminds me I have an old douche bag around here somewhere. . .
G&C
It's been observed that drops of water falling from some height onto a sugar cube will cause little sticky droplets to fall all over one's table, counter, bar top, etc.

When using the fountain, I usually drip down the side of the glass rather than into the middle.
I find this all but eliminates the 'splash factor'.

gun thug.gif
Grim
What he said.
Gertz
Works for peeing too.
G&C
yes.gif

gun thug.gif
mr-rabid
I got to drip, baby. It's that french-whorehouse smell that fills the room...
Oxygenee
I've added a whole group of absinthe-related US newspaper articles written between 1897 and 1923 in a PDF document linked to the FAQ section of my website. You can locate the link at http://www.oxygenee.com/absintheFAQ3.html towards the bottom of the page, just under the picture of the murdered Green Fairy.

It's a large 3.3MB file. The image quality isn't great, because the scans are digitised from fairly old microfilm, but the articles themselves are worth reading I think.
G&C
Thank you!
Rabelais
From slower times, no TV, cell phones, WAP, internet, mass transportation and associated delays.

Take the time, MAKE the time, relax with friends and watch the slow louch....... . . . . . .

Enjoy abs-cheers.gif
Perruche_verte
I hasten to point out that there was plenty of mass transit in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, even if a lot of it was still horse-powered. And urban life was already considered to be alarmingly fast-paced and dangerous.

However, people did (and still can) take time to slow down and reflect, and enjoy a nice slow absinthe drip.

Turn the cell phone off, sign off the instant messaging, sit down somewhere you won't be disturbed, and enjoy.
le Gimp
Friday after cooking smoked ribs for dinner, I had four pounds of Salmon to smoke. It takes about two hours of smoking time to properly smoke it.

One can not leave the smoker for longer than a few minutes, for fear the wood will flame up and over cook the salmon, so I just set there siping a glass of Absinte. Two hours, two glases.

What a plesant evening.

The salmon isn't half bad either.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Rabelais @ Aug 24 2004, 09:50 AM)

Take the time, MAKE the time, relax with friends and watch the slow louch....... . . . . . .

I think a "louch" would make it Czech, thereby be self- negating...

A louche, on the other hand, is definitely something to take the time to relax and enjoy!
BigMike
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Aug 24 2004, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (Rabelais @ Aug 24 2004, 09:50 AM)

Take the time, MAKE the time, relax with friends and watch the slow louch....... . .  .  .  .    .

I think a "louch" would make it Czech, thereby be self- negating...

A louche, on the other hand, is definitely something to take the time to relax and enjoy!

What can you say to that? Other than "louché". viking_emoticon.gif
Artemis
I had four pounds of Salmon to smoke. It takes about two hours of smoking time to properly smoke it.

It's a bitch to light, as well, but lends one hell of a buzz. It feels like going over a waterfall backwards.
le Gimp
Squeegee please.
Artemis
Four pounds, though!! Hopefully you had a clan of Klamaths around to help you smoke it!
le Gimp
Naa, I'm greedy. I smoked it all myself.
Absomphe
Then you're probably ready for that absinthe filled syringe...

Good luck searching for the perfect vein! LARS!.gif
musicgeek
Note to self...must visit Gimpy for smoked salmon...or venison steaks.
I_B_Puffin
So the traditional method involved holding onto a cane while you wait.
hartsmar
Yup, guess that'll boost international cane sales, huh?

That should be my new profession, sell canes to you sorry freaks in here.

harhar.gif
I_B_Puffin
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/bullorgan.htm
morgueann
So you're getting into selling caine now are ya, Hartsmar!?
You viking devil! evill.gif
hartsmar
IB: Here's this one... Don't remember who posted it first here, but I think it was Verbal;

Tippling canes
Hiram
QUOTE (I_B_Puffin @ Aug 25 2004, 12:32 AM)
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/bullorgan.htm

Somehow I casn't really see myself walking around all day with my hand on a bull's unit.

Lower right-hand corner. Barnabas Collins. Now that's my cane.

user posted image
le Gimp
Any more I'm more interested in how a cane feels after walking with it for an hour than I am interested in how it looks.

Some canes look cool, but after a half hour of walking they just suck. Some are worse than not having a cane.

On the other hand, if you don't need one to walk with and just have it to walk around with then that is another matter.

Hiram
The way my knees are, it's only a matter of time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.