Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corelli's Wormwood
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Brett
FYI,

Marie Corelli's "Wormwood" has been reprinted this year by Broadview Press.

For those who haven't read it, it might now be a little easier to find. (My school library actually has an 1893 edition).

My personal experience reading stuff from Broadview is that they tend to pack a large amount of relevant material into their editions. That said...

"This Broadview edition includes...clinical and artistic views on absinthe."

I wonder if they mean contemporary to Corelli's work or present views?

Edit: Had I paid attention earlier, the views on absinthe are contemporary to Corelli's time.
hartsmar
I have one myself, dating from circa 1895... give or take a few years.
Brett
I have sourced a few 1890s version. I'm just debating which one to get.

Regardless, I will probably get the reprint also.
Absomphe
Either way, it's wonderfully histrionic, melodramatically laughable masterpiece!
Artemis
"This Broadview edition includes...clinical and artistic views on absinthe."

I wonder if they mean contemporary to Corelli's work or present views?

There's a difference?
Brett
Yes. They wrote more eloquently back then. And our "views" are likely more "scientific." frusty.gif
Oxygenee
I've got the new Broadview edition of Corelli's Wormwood, and it's really excellent. It's much easier and more comfortable to read than the 19th century reprints, has a comprehensive introduction to Corelli's life and work, and some interesting appendices.

It's available online from both Amazon and Barnes & Noble at around $16..

On the other hand, you can get a flavour of some of the more lurid passages, and a 10 minute summary of the plot, for free, by downloading the PDF here:
http://www.oxygenee.com/absintheBOOKS7.html
morgueann
I knew talk of this book would bate Oxy.
I just knew it.
Absomphe
You have a Magic 8 Ball, don't you? harhar.gif
G&C
It is decidedly so.

gun thug.gif
hartsmar
Ask again later.
Brett
Oxy, thanks for the recommendation re: the Broadview edition.

However...as an amateur collector of antique books I'm almost tempted not to return my loaned copy -especially since they have the Broadview edition on order! abs-cheers.gif

My school library also has a wide selection of Corelli's other works....
Absomphe
I knew there was SOMETHING worthwhile about Canada! abs-cheers.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.