Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shakespeare Quartos
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
justabob
Heard this blurb on NPR today regarding Shakespeare Quartos.

Although not written in Shakespeare's own hand, they were written while he was living, circa 1600.

I myself am not a big fan of Shakespeare but it is interesting to see the original and previously undigitized Quartos that are over four hundred years old. The sight also allows you to compare the original text with modern equivalents to see how these works have in some cases become bastardized over the centuries.

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=3919703
Pataphysician
Clinton Heylin in his book "Bootleg: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry" starts out with the example of Shakespeare. In some cases the Quartos were made by people in the audience surreptitiously writing the lines down, the equivelant of a bootlegger sneaking a tape recorder into a Rock concert.

"That Shakespeare did not even sanction posthumous publication of his plays suggests that, like many artists, he was the last person to have perspective on his own work. [The bootleggers] of Shakespeare's plays may well have saved England's finest body of drama from oblivion."
Head_prosthesis
That's what file sharing is.
Saving stuff,
for like,
history and shit.
Jack Batemaster
That's what Winston says about image sharing.
Head_prosthesis
Yeah he's all up in that
archiving business.
ripperbard
QUOTE (Pataphysician @ Sep 16 2004, 11:42 AM)
In some cases the Quartos were made by people in the audience surreptitiously writing the lines down, the equivelant of a bootlegger sneaking a tape recorder into a Rock concert.

True. Many were also recited years after Shakespeare's death by the actors who'd played various roles. Problem is, the actors had four or five plays going at once, often playing numerous roles in each. It also wasn't uncommon to send an actor in disguise to a rival theater to memorize a successful play in a few viewings in order to do a knockoff version. Imagine Richard Burbage being called in to the publisher's office to recite Hamlet ten years and thirty or so plays after the fact. Plus, the original scripts were always cut up to give actors their "lines." Safe to say there's going to be some variation along the way.

Cool site. I have a facsimilie copy of the first quarto of Hamlet somewhere around here. I'll have to take it out and compare it later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.