Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuck, Fuck, Fuckity Fuck
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Pages: 1, 2
Oxygenee
Sold last night on eBay, a La Feuille d'Absinthe for EUR 122:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...7104055786&rd=1

I, like (almost) everyone else, gave it a cursory glance when it was first listed, dismissed it as just another repro, and forgot about it.

It's not, it's a genuine example of this wonderful spoon, the very rare variant without publicity, in superb condition. Steve Rosat sold an almost identical one on eBay early this year, for just over EUR 4600.
Lord Stanley
Looks like someone got a steal.
Icarus
You mean there actually are bargains to be had at ebay?

I thought that was just a silly commercial.

frusty.gif
morgueann
The question remains:

Does he know the enormity of the deal he got?

I contacted him with a link to this thread.
Perruche_verte
At least you can still comfort yourself with the "GRANDE POT A MOUTARDE DE DIJON".

Or perhaps the "LONGUE-VUE SUR TREPIED", so you can see these deals coming.
Artemis
I contacted him with a link to this thread.

Why?
Lord Stanley
Could have offered to buy the spoon off him for double what he paid. It might have worked.

Not anymore though. wacko.gif
Artemis
My point exactly. Talking here, or better, privately, about Ebay faux pas is one thing. Blurting to the principals over there is quite another - it ruins whatever advantage we might enjoy here.
Absomphe
I'm sorry, Morgueann, but as a longtime antiques dealer, I'm afraid I'll have to kill you.

I will make it an appropriate execution, albeit relatively painless, with one of the later "improved" models. guillotine.gif
Hiram
Day late and a dollar short.

God-fucking-dammit. Some schmoes get all the luck.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Artemis @ Oct 3 2004, 11:41 AM)
My point exactly.

I know. I figured that I'd make the obvious point that you were alluding to.
Hiram
Gee willikers. That never would have occured to me.
morgueann
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Oct 3 2004, 05:14 PM)
I'm afraid I'll have to kill you.

Sorry, Bruddah.

guillotine.gif

I'm too honest for my own good, it seems.
Conju
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Oct 3 2004, 08:24 AM)
Could have offered to buy the spoon off him for double what he paid. It might have worked.

Not anymore though. wacko.gif

Not true. He/she might not even speak english.

I'd give it a whirl, oxy.
Oxygenee
As Artemis said, please don't contact either of the principals involved. It's uncool, and may be annoying to them. It didn't occur to me that anyone here would do this, and I rather regret posting the URL now. Obviously if there was any commercial opportunity still available here, I would have investigated it myself, before posting the details on a public forum.

I posted in the first place to illustrate that with sharp eyes and expertise, bargains can still very occasionally be found on eBay. A few months ago, a mis-described Delizy et Doistau pichet, worth EUR 1500, sold for just over EUR 100, and there have been several other less spectacular examples recently.

The winning bidder is an expert, a friend of mine, and knows exactly the value of what he's bought. I don't think he'll appreciate receiving frivolous lowball offers for the spoon, and the seller certainly doesn't need reminding that he inadvertently let a rare item go for a fraction of its true value.
Balzdeep
However, we can rub it into each other how we didn't catch this deal, so start PM'ing! I'll start!

You guys are all dipshits for letting that spoon go! What a bunch of morons! I'm going to hang out with the intelligent folks over at the lounge to help myself regain some composure....
Oxygenee
Good. That's more like it.
morgueann
Yeah the thought that other people might be trying to cut a deal out of this guy and/or this guy might be a friend of yours never occured to me, Oxy. I hope you don't take it against me. I just love getting in contact with other absintheurs/absintheuse about whatever. I'm a talkaholic. So, in other words, sorry Bruddah. And sorry if I annoyed your friend. I don't normally apologize for things, w00t2.gif , so when I do I really mean it. *Note note, everyone.*

Btw: The Lounche R00XXXXXXckzZZZZ

I need to talk more there.
Oxygenee
No apologies necessary. I should have been clearer about the situation in my original post.
Absomphe
It's time to start searching Ebay France, on a regular basis, apparently sleepy.gif
Icarus
I'm sure Oxy does that.

You can't always be right. I guess it just stings when you're sooooo wrong.
frusty.gif
Lord Stanley
Since the winning bidder was aware of the spoon's true value, it's unlikely that any of us would have won the auction at a bargain price. It only means that he would have won the auction with a much higher bid and the seller would have reaped the benefit.

If the buyer knew that the resale value of the spoon might be over $5000, there's no way he would have let it go easily.
Hiram
I have no problems with making the guy pay more for it by driving up the bid though.

Okay, really I do, but those grapes are really sour.
traineraz
Oxy -

I assume you found out it was genuine after your friend received it? Otherwise, I imagine you'd have been bidding on it, as well.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Icarus @ Oct 4 2004, 09:21 AM)
I'm sure Oxy does that.

Naturally...

I meant ME, Icky!
Absomphe
QUOTE (Hiram @ Oct 4 2004, 12:57 PM)
I have no problems with making the guy pay more for it by driving up the bid though.

That can often be a double edged sword, if you try to drive it up a bit too high...
Lord Stanley
....then you might be stuck maxing out your credit card to pay $5000 for an old spoon full of holes?
morgueann
They ain't even good for soup eatin. LARS!.gif

I remember when I first showed my brother an absinthe spoon. He said "What the fuck? No one could use that!"

He hadn't heard of the "sugar ritual" yet.
traineraz
The holes are there to get air circulating under the flaming sugar cube. Otherwise, it won't burn completely.
Absomphe
shock.gif chickawow.gif
Tuivel
I hate my live blink.gif

Why does this allways happen to other people... wacko.gif

Some time ago a friend of mine got a 500 Euro Les Fleurs spoon for 30 Euro from a clueless old lady... i'm still wondering wether i should congratulate or strangle him sleepy.gif
hartsmar
Strangle him, take the spoon and then congratulate yourself.

That's the way to go.

spoon.gif
Tuivel
Sounds like good advice, i'll consider that dev.gif
morgueann
Hartsmar, you're bad.
hartsmar
Well, being nice would get me to heaven. Being bad obviously could get me a free spoon! Wohooo!!!

Since I don't "believe" much, being bad is the only option.

w00t2.gif
Absomphe
abs-cheers.gif abs-cheers.gif abs-cheers.gif abs-cheers.gif viking_emoticon.gif abs-cheers.gif abs-cheers.gif abs-cheers.gif abs-cheers.gif
DRX
QUOTE(Hiram @ Oct 3 2004, 01:58 PM) *
God-fucking-dammit.

heart.gif Now now. Drink your Absinthe and take a deep breath. evill.gif
Steve
Here's another one of those things in our culture here that really fucking annoy us, and you're going to think it's rude, but don't fucking dredge up a 3 year old dormant thread to make a one-emoticon "comment".
DRX
QUOTE(Spoon @ Jul 1 2008, 07:49 PM) *

Here's another one of those things in our culture here that really fucking annoy us, and you're going to think it's rude, but don't fucking dredge up a 3 year old dormant thread to make a one-emoticon "comment".

Plain2.gif cdog-plain.gif
Kirk
You have conversations with ghosts here and then you flip off living old time members
who are talking to you.
Smooth.
DRX
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 1 2008, 08:33 PM) *

You have conversations with ghosts here and then you flip off living old time members
who are talking to you.
Smooth.

What's the name of this thread again? offtopic2.gif

Try to stay focused on the topic at hand evill.gif
Kirk
We ask that you don't quote the post immediately above you.
As said before, this is a conversation,
do you parrot back into the face of the person you're talking to?
No.
This is why we ask you not do it here.
G&C
Claims to be a long time lurker.

Full time troll.
Rimbaud
Let's eat him.
Pataphysician
Tastes like chicken.
Steve
It figured out how to use the edit button. When I posted my comment about "one-emoticon comment" its post just said:
QUOTE(DRX @ Jul 1 2008, 05:43 PM) *

heart.gif

Now it says:
QUOTE(DRX @ Jul 1 2008, 05:43 PM) *

heart.gif Now now. Drink your Absinthe and take a deep breath. evill.gif

Not that that's any less obnoxious, responding to something someone said years ago.

Wild Bill Turkey
It puts the lotion on its skin…
Steve
… or else it gets the hose again.
G&C
I'd rather use a baseball bat.

Aluminium.
Absomphe
I'd go with the old 1960s Gates Brown 42" special.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.