Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe literature
The Fe Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
D. Gray
I know this has probably been asked a thousand times, but my searches does not reveal what I am looking for.

Which books are the absolute essentials when it comes to absinthe? I am considering the following right now:

The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History,
Absinthe: Sip of Seduction : A Contemporary Guide,
Absinthe: History in a Bottle

I also came across "Hideous Absinthe: A History of the Devil in a Bottle" by Jad Adams. This one appears to be anti-absinthe, it could be interesting.

So what do you think? I could of course buy all of them, but for the price I could buy two bottles and money is tight so I prefer to start with the essentials.
Hiram
I can recommend The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History.

I did a short review of it on the WS site.
morgueann
You left out Absinthe: A Myth Aways Green.
D. Gray
I did, but that is only because I could not find it on amazon.com.

Being the poor insolvent bastard I am, I only have a Visa Electron card as payment. Visa Electron is not accepted by Paypal and Paypal appears to be the only way of paying for it. frusty.gif

Oh, and I made it to 100 without being yelled at too much! Brilliant! abs-cheers.gif
Touch-money
The only one of those I have read was Absinthe: History in a Bottle, and I liked it a lot. I think I will pick up Sip of Seduction though, because I want to read something newer.
Absomphe

SHUT UP, GRAY!!!
harhar.gif abs-cheers.gif
D. Gray
Haha, too late! LARS!.gif abs-cheers.gif
Artemis
I did, but that is only because I could not find it on amazon.com.

That isn't because we didn't try to put it there.

On the other hand, you can't find absinthe at Amazon.com either, but you can buy A Myth
ALONG WITH absinthe from certain places, I think. Problem solved. Don't say I never did anything for you.
pierreverte
>I did, but that is only because I could not find it on amazon.com.

you can find absinthe, a myth always green on amazon.fr, under french language titles...if the book is published in france, amazon lists it as french-language...don't get me started... frusty.gif
D. Gray
Splendid!

I will give it a try.

Thank you all abs-cheers.gif
Artemis
http://www.feeverte.net/mythalwaysgreen.html
ripperbard
A Myth Always Green and Absinthe: A Cultural History would be my recommendations (actually, I like the Daedalus Book of Absinthe--same as Cultural History, but with a snazzier cover and size). History in a Bottle isn't as information-intensive, but it does make up for it in many ways with a large amount of artwork. Kind of more a coffee-table book. At least that's the one I keep out for guests to thumb through. Never looked at Sip of Seduction much--I just remember a thread either here or at the Lounge a while back regarding the slightly over-the-top "book description" at Amazon. Might still be a good book, though.
Absomphe
It's very nicely presented, at least. It has more glitz than substance, but it's still a fairly good read.
ripperbard
A possibly more interesting question, though there aren't a ton of books out there on the subject to begin with, is which to avoid? I guess the ones already mentioned pretty much cover what's out there, though....
Absomphe
I don't think there's an absinthe tome out there, horrendous enough to be avoided.

Besides, even if there were, wouldn't you want to read it, just for laughs?
ripperbard
Very true.
Gertz
There is a number of books in french. Many of them written by Benoit Nol, Marie-Claude Delahaye or both.

Bought "Absinthe: La Muse des Peintres", written by both of them, in Pontarlier. It seems to be OK. As the title suggests, it deals exclusively with absinthe in art.

Got it with a dedication from the authors ...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.