Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Beer!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Brett
My in-laws are taking a road trip to SoCal through Washington and Oregon.

Any of you Yanks in either Washington, Oregon or California recommend any excellent beers in the vein of a porter, stout or imperial stout? Is Three Floyds widely available along the west coast?
Artemis
Three Floyds is in Hammond, Indiana, which is near Gary, which is a dangerous suburb of Chicago. I met the brewer at a Real Ale festival in Chicago, and got invited to watch him do his stuff (see post on this subject elsewhere - I also was supposed to go to a Scottish wedding, but missed it). There is no reason Three Floyds would be on the west coast and a lot of reasons it wouldn't be as good as the beer that's made there (fresh is more than halfway toward good).

There are so many good beers in Oregon and Washington you'll be burnt out on them before you get to California. Just throw a rock, you'll hit an excellent beer.

In California, if you want something similar to Three Floyds high-alpha beers, try Sierra Nevada India pale ale, or something from the Mendocino Brewing Company (Redhawk beers). In Washington, try Pyramid. In Oregon, visit a McMenamin brewpub. There's also Arrogant Bastard in southern California - if you like bitter beer you should be well satisfied with it.
Jack Batemaster
Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!
verbal_kraze
If they're in So Cal, I highly reccomend Newport Beach Brewing Company in Newport Beach. All of their beers are amazing, especially with a loaf of beer grain bread that they bake fresh there.

Pyramid is always good, I just went again last night for happy hour. They have sampler for $3.30, 5 6oz glasses of your choice. I had about 3-4 of these last night, good stuff.

Mendocino Brewing comany is really good as well,

so yeah, pretty much what Artemis said
Absomphe
QUOTE (Artemis @ Oct 22 2004, 02:04 PM)

There are so many good beers in Oregon and Washington you'll be burnt out on them before you get to California. Just throw a rock, you'll hit an excellent beer.

wub.gif
Absomphe
Brett:

I'd recommend they stop by Hair of the Dog Brewery, in Portland, especially if they want to experience kickass Northwest ale at its most extreme. They even have "From the wood" versions of their already eccentric and potent ales, available...these are bourbon wood aged, cask conditioned ales, that have been aging for up to eight years.

There is nothing in Seattle to match that experience, at least not beerwise.

Other than Bigtime Brewing, in the University District, Seattle Breweries have become too corporate to be very cutting edge.
Hiram
Terminator Stout from McMenamins Brewery is really nice. It can be had from any of their brewpubs in Washington and Oregon.

In Seattle, my favorite is Dad Watson's, but that's because it's right across the street from my Lodge.

In Portland, the Baghdad Cafe is fun.

Terminator Stout

Black as the darkest night, rich as the most decadent dessert, Terminator is for the true stout lover. This is a full bodied and flavor packed ale which draws it's robust compleshity from kiln-baked specialty grains. Look for a wide array of toasted, chocolate, nutty and coffee-like flavors in every pint! The devoted swear by it, and it remains one of our top selling ales year after year.

Malts: Pale Malt; Munich Malt; 40L Crystal; Black Barley

Hops: Cascades

Specifications: Original Gravity: 1.065; Terminal Gravity: 1.015; Alcohol by Volume: 5.1%

Calories/pint: 282
Jack Batemaster
Seattle really has really been lagging in the Brew Pub/Microbrew area.

At LF05, we drove out to some Xhitsville's Brew Pub and they had more decent brews than anywhere in Seattle - and this was Xhitsville! I've been pretty ashamed of Seattle.
Absomphe
That's it...

Jack, Hiram and I have basically given the thumbs down to the Seattle beer scene...

Take note, Michael Jackass, Beer Hunter!
Artemis
I agree that Portland is a much better beer town than Seattle, at least it was when I lived up there.

I misspoke about Mendocino Brewing - it's Redtail, not Redhawk. There's a Redtail Hawk on the label.
Absomphe
Damn, Arty...

I think you've lived in even more places than I have, you ultramobile geezer! abs-cheers.gif
Hiram
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Oct 22 2004, 02:53 PM)
Jack, Hiram and I have basically given the thumbs down to the Seattle beer scene...

Hold on there sparky, I said no such thing.

McMennamin's may be headquartered in Oregon, but the the beer they serve in their pubs here is brewed on the premises.

I'm trying to think of other local beers that are good...

Thomas Kemper used to be good when it was brewed by 5 guys in Poulsbo. But then they sold out to Pyramid.

Pike Place was still pretty good last time I was there.
Jack Batemaster
Elysian is okay compared to Coors Light.
Brett
I should clarify...they always bring me back beers, so I was more asking for myself.

Although my father-in-law -despite being a thorough Coors/Bud fan- is willing to try new things
morgueann
The only way to be a Bud fan is to grow up with it.

If you didn't grow up with it, have mercy on you.
Brett
This is pretty much a direct quote from a co-worker of mine:

"For some reason, I decided to try Budweiser." (Shakes head). "Why did I do that?"
Artemis
Thomas Kemper used to be good when it was brewed by 5 guys in Poulsbo. But then they sold out to Pyramid.

I remember Pyramid when it was in a run-down storefront in Kalama, and after they moved across the road and built a new facility, I went in there and had a pint while talking to the brewer - they might have had a dozen people working for them, tops. The moral of the story is the big fish eat the small fish, but even the big fish didn't start out that way.

I used to live in Longview, Washington - convenient to Portland, Kalama, Astoria, etc.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Hiram @ Oct 22 2004, 04:56 PM)

Pike Place was still pretty good last time I was there.

Pike Place used to be somewhat cutting edge, when they put their energies into quirky, strong ales like Old Bawdy.

Nowadays, their beer is pretty run-of-the-mill corporate, for a microbrewery, whatever that means, anymore.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Oct 22 2004, 05:10 PM)
Elysian is okay compared to Coors Light.

And they're the best micro in Seattle, except perhaps for Bigtime Brewing, and they only brew enough of their best beer, Old Wooly, to fill a large thimble.

Overall, the Seattle beer scene, isn't, and hasn't been since the mid nineties.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.