Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hello, im an unpop artist
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Mr. Creepy's Art Hole
Pages: 1, 2
omegaiori
here are some of my works.. don't forget to check my site. don't be lazy vagina.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

and son on LARS!.gif
bleedingink
QUOTE (omegaiori @ Nov 17 2004, 03:35 AM)

user posted image

I like this one....is that watercolor?
traineraz
. . . and here's a pop artist:

user posted image
Lord Stanley
I don't "get" art. Oh well.
bleedingink
I don't know if there is much to get about art. You listen or look at something, say "I like that" or "man, that sucks", and that's pretty much it. Anyway, I like your stuff O.

There is a photo exhibit that is being shown in my area by a guy named Robert Parkeharrison. Beautiful strange images, kind of post-apocolyptic themes. I think some of you guys might like him.

user posted image

His website is here....
omegaiori
thank yous

i have 2 expositions in december in Rome, if anyone passes by let me know
Hiram
So, Mr. Artist, suppose you tell us what "art" is. And when it started being that. And when having any kind of skill at composition - or even simple craftsmanship - stopped being a requirement for creating "art".
Greenmeanie
I've seen art like that before.

It's of the style commonly done by serial killers while on death row.

Sorry, Ome, but John Wayne Gacy was WAY better an artist than you could ever be.

evill.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (bleedingink @ Nov 27 2004, 11:38 PM)
There is a photo exhibit that is being shown in my area by a guy named Robert Parkeharrison.  Beautiful strange images, kind of post-apocolyptic themes.

That's a fascinating photo. Thanks for posting that.
I checked out his website: http://www.parkeharrison.com/main.html
and was even more impressed.

I wonder if his photos are affordable...

I always get a little uncomfortable when people on internet forums harshly criticize others work or say they have no talent, but I think we're all well aware Omegalori is a self proclaimed "artist", given that it's in his avatar, his signature, his profile, and half of his posts.

The shameless self-promotion is unnecessary. Powerful art speaks for itself and doesn't require belligerent advertising, especially if it aspires to be "unpop", whatever that means.
Donnie Darko
I don't know if there is much to get about art.  You listen or look at something, say "I like that" or "man, that sucks", and that's pretty much it.

I strongly disagree. There are plenty of objective criteria that can be applied to art that transcend mere personal taste. Art is not merely about simplistic "sucks" or "doesn't suck" value judgements, but about technique and craftsmanship, about content and aesthetics, about history and the dismantling of history, about repression and liberation, about nightmares and beauty, and can be about a whole host of other things both comprehensible and incomprehensible.

I suppose if one is entirely ignorant of the history of art, "sucks" or "doesn't suck" may be all there is to "get", but if that were all there was to get out of art I'd lose interest in it almost immediately.
Greenmeanie
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 1 2004, 03:02 PM)
The shameless self-promotion is unnecessary.  Powerful art speaks for itself and doesn't require belligerent advertising, especially if it aspires to be "unpop", whatever that means.

Exactly!

And when you do, expect to get.... gun thug.gif, viking_emoticon.gif, Philerup.gif and O-Bomb.gif.
thegreenimp
I've kept this cartoon for many years.
bleedingink
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 1 2004, 03:09 PM)
I don't know if there is much to get about art.  You listen or look at something, say "I like that" or "man, that sucks", and that's pretty much it.

I strongly disagree. There are plenty of objective criteria that can be applied to art that transcend mere personal taste. Art is not merely about simplistic "sucks" or "doesn't suck" value judgements, but about technique and craftsmanship, about content and aesthetics, about history and the dismantling of history, about repression and liberation, about nightmares and beauty, and can be about a whole host of other things both comprehensible and incomprehensible.

I suppose if one is entirely ignorant of the history of art, "sucks" or "doesn't suck" may be all there is to "get", but if that were all there was to get out of art I'd lose interest in it almost immediately.

I guess I should have elaborated more, but I agree with a lot of what you said. I have just heard many people say they don't get art, and I think what I posted is a kind of way to open it up to them. If people like something, chances are it is because it appeals to their sence of the aesthetic, whether they realize it or not. I think it is allowed to be a very personal thing, and I think people who have little or no knowledge of art history can still make judgements based on their personal taste; hopefully it will interest them enough to learn more.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 1 2004, 05:09 PM)

Yeah, that's the part I don't get.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (bleedingink @ Dec 1 2004, 06:34 PM)
I have just heard many people say they don't get art, and I think what I posted is a kind of way to open it up to them.

I was just fuckin' around anyways.

Mostly.
omegaiori
QUOTE (Hiram @ Dec 1 2004, 01:26 PM)
So, Mr. Artist, suppose you tell us what "art" is. And when it started being that. And when having any kind of skill at composition - or even simple craftsmanship - stopped being a requirement for creating "art".

since DADA and pop art.

PS: it's clear that anything i say, you'll criticize it. so keep posting non-constructive critics if it makes you feel better, i won't take your responses in consideration anymore anyway.
omegaiori
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Dec 1 2004, 03:02 PM)
There is a photo exhibit that is being shown in my area by a guy named Robert Parkeharrison.  Beautiful strange images, kind of post-apocolyptic themes.

That's a fascinating photo. Thanks for posting that.
I checked out his website: http://www.parkeharrison.com/main.html
and was even more impressed.

I wonder if his photos are affordable...

I always get a little uncomfortable when people on internet forums harshly criticize others work or say they have no talent, but I think we're all well aware Omegalori is a self proclaimed "artist", given that it's in his avatar, his signature, his profile, and half of his posts.

The shameless self-promotion is unnecessary. Powerful art speaks for itself and doesn't require belligerent advertising, especially if it aspires to be "unpop", whatever that means.

is there a corporation or similar that judge when you can be considered an artist or not? if yes, tell me. im interested. or maybe there's an internet quiz or something?

unpop: adj. -- The application of pop aesthetics, stylings, or techniques to unpopular, unpleasant, repressed or otherwise censored ideas.

n. -- Unpop art; Unpop music; Unpop writing; Unpop films.

traineraz
user posted image
Conju
QUOTE (omegaiori @ Dec 2 2004, 11:25 AM)
So, Mr. Artist, suppose you tell us what "art" is.  And when it started being that.  And when having any kind of skill at composition - or even simple craftsmanship - stopped being a requirement for creating "art".

since DADA and pop art.

PS: it's clear that anything i say, you'll criticize it. so keep posting non-constructive critics if it makes you feel better, i won't take your responses in consideration anymore anyway.

Is your work well received elsewhere?
Hiram
is there a corporation or similar that judge when you can be considered an artist or not?
Yes, there is. And if you were an artist, you'd know that.

Dada. The battle cry of the untalented. I wish I had a goddamned dollar for every time I've heard some punk whinging about Dada. Precious few of them have the faintest understanding of the social and political mileu that Dada fermented in. And I do mean fermented. Just because a bunch of guys got famous doing it a long time ago doesn't make it a good idea.

It's an excuse. It makes art egalitarian and PC.

Whinge: "I don't have any natural talent and I'm too lazy to develop any real skill or craft, but my soul yearns and burns to make a statement! I want to be a artist!(sic) I know! I'll be a Dada artist! I'll make "pop" art.

You want to make weird, ugly art? Fine. Study Giger, Nerdrum, Ryden and Ho. They have some talent.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Hiram @ Dec 2 2004, 03:01 PM)
[QUOTE]is there a corporation or similar that judge when you can be considered an artist or not
Dada. The battle cry of the untalented'.

I'd throw a bunch of those no counts, from Jack "the Dripper", to Andy Warhol in there as well.
omegaiori
QUOTE (Conju @ Dec 2 2004, 01:20 PM)
QUOTE (omegaiori @ Dec 2 2004, 11:25 AM)
So, Mr. Artist, suppose you tell us what "art" is.  And when it started being that.  And when having any kind of skill at composition - or even simple craftsmanship - stopped being a requirement for creating "art".

since DADA and pop art.

Is your work well received elsewhere?

it is

---

for the rest, i can understand ur point hiram but i believe i have talent, my work is liked by many (even REAL artists) and consider im into active art from a few months - and im already at a good point and i believe i just gonna keep develepoing what's in my mind and developing my skills and we'll see, there could be something happening. dada isn't an excuse. yours is just AN opinion in a sea of opinions. fly down and most of all.. u keep criticizing my work. show me some creativity on your side.
Ari
Nothing wrong with them criticizing your work, some people just wont like it, get used to it.

Quite a few criticisms seem to come from your attitude as well as your work, I bet if that was changed some you might get some serious critiques. (for example, not advertising your site as much, being nicer to the people who have been here for years, etc.)
Hiram
QUOTE (omegaiori @ Dec 2 2004, 02:55 PM)
... and consider im into active art from a few months

I'm not sure what "active art" is, but you seem to be telling us that you've been doing whatever it is that your doing for a few months, and already you call yourself an artist? That's just plain naive. Are you going to art school? Do you know anything about art history? Do you have any training at all?
dada isn't an excuse. yours is just AN opinion in a sea of opinions.
Perhaps, but it's a well-informed and wide-spread opinion. Dada grew out of a protest against WWI and current social repression and, as is so typical of such tantrums, victimized the innocent audience by making them look at that crap. It's a lot like those stupid "performance pieces" that are no more than self-therapy in front of a captive audience.
and most of all.. u keep criticizing my work.
Where did I criticise your work?
show me some creativity on your side.
Well, I consider myself more of an illustrator than an artist, but since we're sharing, here and here. I've also done a bit of woodworking. For example this and this.
traineraz
That's one heck of a portrait of my mom, Hiram. She just had it put over the fireplace.

The one of the woman with the shrunken head is pretty cool, too.
Hiram
Mrs. Hiram says she's gonna kick your scrawny ass, trainer.
chaz
QUOTE (omegaiori @ Nov 17 2004, 05:35 AM)
here are some of my works.. don't forget to check my site. don't be lazy

i have to say.. referring to the images you posted in this thread, the actual unique graphics that you produced are quite beautiful in terms of their line and gesture (except the Bush one - really detest politically motivated art, unless it's russian propaganda art).. and the colours tend to live in a certain deliberate/studied (contrived?) palette. but the additional imagery and accompanying text is pretty extraneous, enough to render the image "gray". that's kind of annoying, because some of the drawings, like even the one in your avatar, have a very luscious quality reminicent of say, nagel (you know, the artist from the 80s who did the cover to the Rio album for Duran Duran).

there's a lack of focus that could easily be remedied through a bit of peer or master critque. you need to push a direction more.. choose a method or a medium, or none or all, and push. i don't know at what stage these works posted are currently at, but i would be interested in seeing how they evolve. perhaps consult Brian Eno's "Oblique Strategies".
Icarus
Donnie.-
I'm ordering the book from Parkeharrison.
The Architect's Brother
I too enjoy the photos.

user posted image
Kirk
Beautiful work Hiram , bravo.
Do you have any carvings you might trade for my work?
omegaiori
advertising my site is the only way to get known. internet is incredible for this kind of things and there's nothing bad about it.

i don't call myself artist in real life, im very insecure about it. but why not on the internet? not that i don't consider myself one, but of course i don't feel ready to expose myself as one. an artist is someone living for it, living through it and with it. im not at this level now. but it's the internet, isn't it more interesting to present myself as an artist instead of a boring university student? i think it is.

i have an artistic culture (i read a lot and visit museums around europe to get a live contact with the artworks), i don't go to any artistic school.

chaz: the critics were appreciated

hiram: i like your works, especially the first one and the harp, but the behaving you have with me on this forum just makes me think you are pathetic, running after me in every post i make to write your insult line. im really gonna ignore you from now and then, this is just pointless.

Ari
But you see, there is an art to advertising your work. Thats why they make you pay to go to marketing class (unless it is really just a giant marketing gimmick). When was the last time you bought "male enhancement pills" from an e-mail? Mass advertising only works when you are trying to sell crap and working the numbers.
When advertising your art it is best to make the advertisement small but meaningful. Especially on a little forum like this, a more humble and low key approach would get you many more interested viewers. Instead of the sig picture link, a post in the art forum is all you really need. The regulars will see it and it will take a long time before it wanders off the first or second page. But the impression that a humble post about your art makes will be a much more solid and lasting one than the sig picture or other advertisements.

Speaking of regulars, it is often best to treat them with a bit more respect (when they deserve it harhar.gif ). Although this is "just the internet" try to think of it as if you are coming into their house and you are their guest. I know at my house, respect towards me and my friends is what makes the difference between getting the good booze and being left outside laying in your own cheap beer vomit (and remember, just because your vomit feels warm and comfortable, doesn't mean it really is).
omegaiori
i can agree with that
chaz
advertising my site is the only way to get known. internet is incredible for this kind of things and there's nothing bad about it.

speaking as a web designer, i take honest offense to this. mostly because that which you say displays a fundamental ignorance (literal, not pejorative) as to what is the purpose of (well-executed) advertising, which in a nutshell is termed as self-promotion.

some basic rules are such.. one doesn't "pass around" their business card to any joe and mary.. why make yourself too easily accessible. just remember, an individual is not a corporation - so thinking you can get away in an argument with a quick answer to this, you're wrong.

additionally, spam is spam. if you really want to break this whole conversation down into semiotics, even the fact that AOL uses "spam" in their current advertising should alert you to the fact that the goal of self-promotion is not to reach the level of spam, nor be so ubiquitous as to ever come rolling off with ease the lips of a philistine... i use this argument because AOL additionally _misuses_ the term "internet" in that same commercial. *slaps forehead profusely*

there is a right way and a wrong way to go about presenting one's self on the net, as with any forum or classroom or business board room. think of proper spelling and grammar as looking good to your prospective friends and employers - truth be told, if you are passing about your link as your portfolio, those online friends may actually double in the future as a potential client. think of complete thoughts (even if presented in fragments) as sounding good. having a positive attitude project fulfills the requirement of feels good. ((summed up: looks good, sounds good, feels good too - uh huh, that's right.. thank you fischerspooner. side note: that criteria is also the crux of a kierkegaardian rant re: religion, aesthetics and ethics, but that's another conversation right there)).

anyway... one goes to an interview dressed well to suggest to a future employer that he has the work skills and knowledge, as well as personal skills, to be a worthwhile hire - if a match, the person is hired, and thus he is obligated to continue to "present" because he is now presenting not only himself but the company. the same is true on an individual level when you say, go to a bar, and want to pick up a hot guy or girl - you dress sharply, speak well, and treat a person with respect: it signals that you are a personal of quality, buuttt.. if you are a person of dubious distinction, it can facilitate a charade, and in that case, smoke and mirrors are your friend! wink.gif in the end, the result is the same: you get paid - or fucked. sometimes both, because being a paid artist, a designer/craftsperson, can suck, but most people just consider that whole act a compromise of artistic integrity (another rant, right there).

as to not calling yourself an artist IRL, why? fuck insecurity. if you are confident in your skills and you deem being an artist a worthwhile life pursuing, own it and "work the garment". the sidewalk is your catwalk, work the runway, sweetie! if you are going to be a poseur, be a smashing sucess (like oscar wilde).

re: me as critic, sorry. correction: i am an artist. what i gave you is a "critique".
critic (person) vs. critique (idea report) - http://dictionary.cambridge.org/
celticgent
this chaz broad is all smart and shit.
Kirk
I wonder if she's got nice tits.
G&C
I wonder if she knows where the 'shift' key is.
Symbiote
In my opinion, omegaiori has nothing to talk about besides himself. Hence, the endless self promotion.
celticgent
GNC -

jeebus i didn't even notice, onacuz i have the same sweet, sweet typing style.

not only has this bitch got her learn on, she's paying om-age to me.

chickawow.gif

if she keeps this up, im gonna ask if'n i can make sweet hate to her.
omegaiori
keep talking, im listening
traineraz
QUOTE (Hiram @ Dec 2 2004, 10:35 PM)
Mrs. Hiram says she's gonna kick your scrawny ass, trainer.

Why? Does Mrs. Hiram have a tiny head?
bleedingink
QUOTE (Icarus @ Dec 2 2004, 11:58 PM)
Donnie.-
The Architect's Brother
I too enjoy the photos.

user posted image

I think the book retails for like $60, but you can get it for $37 or so from amazon. Shipping takes a while though....
chaz
QUOTE (celticgent @ Dec 3 2004, 09:13 AM)
this chaz broad is all smart and shit.

most women would be offended by the use of the word "broad". go 20-40's lingo.. i prefer chick, thank you. *proceeds to scratch the ground and start clucking, while go-go dancing"

QUOTE (Kirk @ Dec 3 2004, 09:17 AM)
I wonder if she's got nice tits.

not that it's any of your business, i haven't had any complaints. i grew them myself. and they've come back since i've put on weight, for exercise purposes. i honestly hate them because they make for painful dancing... but, if one's doing burlesque for instance, then you sorta need them.

QUOTE (Green & Cloudy @ Dec 3 2004, 10:45 AM)
I wonder if she knows where the 'shift' key is.

of course i do. i use it frequently, in combination of the apple key for shortcuts (aka "quick keys"). but then again, i haven't used a mouse in probably 3-4 years. so there's maybe something with that.

QUOTE (Icarus @ Dec 2 2004, 11:58 PM)
Donnie.-
The Architect's Brother

what is this from (ie. what school of art)? the photo is really interesting.
celticgent
this chaz broad's a good dancer.

Lord Stanley
QUOTE (chaz @ Dec 3 2004, 07:55 AM)

speaking as a web designer, i take honest offense to this. mostly because that which you say displays a fundamental ignorance (literal, not pejorative) as to what is the purpose of (well-executed) advertising, which in a nutshell is termed as self-promotion.

some basic rules are such.. one doesn't "pass around" their business card to any joe and mary.. why make yourself too easily accessible. just remember, an individual is not a corporation - so thinking you can get away in an argument with a quick answer to this, you're wrong.

additionally, spam is spam. if you really want to break this whole conversation down into semiotics, even the fact that AOL uses "spam" in their current advertising should alert you to the fact that the goal of self-promotion is not to reach the level of spam, nor be so ubiquitous as to ever come rolling off with ease the lips of a philistine... i use this argument because AOL additionally _misuses_ the term "internet" in that same commercial. *slaps forehead profusely*

there is a right way and a wrong way to go about presenting one's self on the net, as with any forum or classroom or business board room. think of proper spelling and grammar as looking good to your prospective friends and employers - truth be told, if you are passing about your link as your portfolio, those online friends may actually double in the future as a potential client. think of complete thoughts (even if presented in fragments) as sounding good. having a positive attitude project fulfills the requirement of feels good. ((summed up: looks good, sounds good, feels good too - uh huh, that's right.. thank you fischerspooner. side note: that criteria is also the crux of a kierkegaardian rant re: religion, aesthetics and ethics, but that's another conversation right there)).

anyway... one goes to an interview dressed well to suggest to a future employer that he has the work skills and knowledge, as well as personal skills, to be a worthwhile hire - if a match, the person is hired, and thus he is obligated to continue to "present" because he is now presenting not only himself but the company. the same is true on an individual level when you say, go to a bar, and want to pick up a hot guy or girl - you dress sharply, speak well, and treat a person with respect: it signals that you are a personal of quality, buuttt.. if you are a person of dubious distinction, it can facilitate a charade, and in that case, smoke and mirrors are your friend! wink.gif in the end, the result is the same: you get paid - or fucked. sometimes both, because being a paid artist, a designer/craftsperson, can suck, but most people just consider that whole act a compromise of artistic integrity (another rant, right there).

as to not calling yourself an artist IRL, why? fuck insecurity. if you are confident in your skills and you deem being an artist a worthwhile life pursuing, own it and "work the garment". the sidewalk is your catwalk, work the runway, sweetie! if you are going to be a poseur, be a smashing sucess (like oscar wilde).

re: me as critic, sorry. correction: i am an artist. what i gave you is a "critique".
critic (person) vs. critique (idea report) - http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

There it goes again...

user posted image
chaz
QUOTE (celticgent @ Dec 3 2004, 05:01 PM)
this chaz broad's a good dancer.

that's relative. but i do like to dance.
chaz
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 3 2004, 05:02 PM)
There it goes again...

user posted image

you know, there are escorts in the "erotic services" of your local craigslist to cure that exploding head problem of yours.
Absomphe
I kinda loike it when 'is Lordship's 'ead explodes!
Lord Stanley
I may need to see a doctor about my blood pressure. Those cranial detonations can smart a little.
fireworks.gif
chaz
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Dec 3 2004, 06:42 PM)
I may need to see a doctor about my blood pressure.  Those cranial detonations can smart a little.
fireworks.gif

*snaps on rubber glove* i think this calls for an operation of cranial-rectal extraction.. com'ere, gov'nuh. evill.gif (gives new meaning to "brain fart", huh).
Lord Stanley
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.