Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what are you listening to?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
chaz
i'm presently kicking around 3 new cds.. the lastest by duran duran, u2, and gwen stefani. but the dandy warhols get the heaviest rotation, generally speaking.

i'm generally into: shoe gaze, post-punk, madchester, and electro... i like some stuff from other genres.. but nothing to write home about.

i'm a musician.. i sing, play classical guitar, electric bass, and programme synthesizers... i used to play cello, but sold my only instrument for my first synth about 5-6 years ago. any other music nerds around and about?
grims
Listening to the Dresden Dolls (from Boston) and very addicted to the new album.

I play guitar and piano, but have a bass and violin and manderlin, but just haven't bothered getting to indepth with them.

Haven't written any mucis this year (alwful!) or drawn (also a cartoonist). But am hoping to get a MIDI player (just 25 keys) next year and hopefully one day a drum kit, and start recording full songs...

one day...can only hope!
sevenscarabs
Currently listening to Lodger, the band behind the flash videos I Love Death and Doorsteps that some of us discussed previously. I just got their full album- it's quite fun. The song currently playing is Everyone Got To Go, which is about a guy dying of an overdose in a public bathroom, but he's more concerned about the bitch who keeps banging on the door. It's funny stuff.
seanthomas
Waylon and Willie

Welcome abs-cheers.gif
grey boy
QUOTE (grims @ Dec 4 2004, 09:28 PM)
Listening to the Dresden Dolls (from Boston) and very addicted to the new album.

Ok, you have good taste.
Though their album isn't "new".
chaz
QUOTE (grims @ Dec 4 2004, 08:28 PM)
Haven't written any mucis this year (alwful!) or drawn (also a cartoonist). But am hoping to get a MIDI player (just 25 keys) next year and hopefully one day a drum kit, and start recording full songs...

re: midi control devices.. i would get something basic, unless you are really into programming your own patches and have a lust for buttons, knobs and/or sliders. the Roland XP series is satisfactory, and of course the Korg M1 is a good workhorse (and doubles nicely as an electronic piano - some of the better piano presets). i personally use a DX-7.

as for drum machines, i'm a bit partial to a Roland D4. most people just go straight for the software synths and use Reason or something like that.. even using Rebirth. what's nice about those programmes at least is that while the 303s are hardcoded, the 808/909 emulators are simply sample playback devices, and thus, you can create wav file mods that suit whatever your needs are sonically.

what software are you looking to run? cubase? logic? vegas? protools (*drool*)?

Allen Strange
Electronic Music Systems, Techniques and Controls, 2nd edition
Wm. C. Brown Co. Publishers, Iowa, USA. ISBN 0-697-03602-2*

This book by Allen Strange is very comprehensive and thoroughly recommended, because as well as all of the basics it also includes a huge number of patches and practical tips. It’s easy to read, instructive and very well organised. If your bookstore has trouble ordering a copy, then try the publishers. In Europe, try McGraw-Hill Publishing, tel +44 (0)1628 502500; or Susurreal, tel +44 (0)1363 774627), who had copies at £25 including postage in late 1996

The book is now (as of October 20, 2001) available again directly from the author Dr. Allen Strange (email address: astrange@email.sjsu.edu)  at about US$40.00.
chaz
QUOTE (sevenscarabs @ Dec 4 2004, 09:59 PM)
Currently listening to Lodger..

i don't know who they are.

EDIT: this isn't too bad, i dunno - too rock or folkrock for me..
but it's good for what it is.. *bookmarked the link*

but i prefer something more like Soviet or the Dandy Warhols... and too bad the guitarist for ARE Weapons died of overdose - while they were not the best band off the Touch of Class label, they still were a shitton of fun live.
G&C
manderlin
Did you mean mandolin?
chaz
QUOTE (Green & Cloudy @ Dec 5 2004, 01:55 PM)
manderlin
Did you mean mandolin?

nope. seems that "manderlin" might actually be legit.

http://www.fingerpicker.de/index.html?whatsnew.htm
(click on instruments)

http://www.bluegrass.de/pinlist.htm
(do text search)

strangeness.
Nate
QUOTE (chaz @ Dec 5 2004, 05:35 PM)
re: midi control devices.. i would get something basic, unless you are really into programming your own patches and have a lust for buttons, knobs and/or sliders. the Roland XP series is satisfactory, and of course the Korg M1 is a good workhorse (and doubles nicely as an electronic piano - some of the better piano presets). i personally use a DX-7.

as for drum machines, i'm a bit partial to a Roland D4. most people just go straight for the software synths and use Reason or something like that.. even using Rebirth. what's nice about those programmes at least is that while the 303s are hardcoded, the 808/909 emulators are simply sample playback devices, and thus, you can create wav file mods that suit whatever your needs are sonically.

what software are you looking to run? cubase? logic? vegas? protools (*drool*)?

You know, I got a MIDI control keyboard and the only time I use it is with Reason. Can't play keys to well so I usually just program by hand and adjust velocities later.

For a drum machine, I just use Battery VST for Cubase.
G&C
Like I said.

Mandolin.
Nate
I can sorta play those. They're tuned by 5ths rather than 4ths (like a guitar)... Confusing unless I think upside-down. frusty.gif
Deluge
Try to find Erik Saties "Trois Gymnopedies" and "Six Gnossiens" This music is perfect for the Green hour. Go to your local library I am sure you will find it. Also try to find some french concertina music. These sounds I feel will give you much pleasure!!!

As for contemporary music, I enjoy the band Vetiver, Devendra Banhart, Joanna Newsome, Nina Nastasia, Neutral Milk Hotel, Iron and Wine, Sufjian Stevens and also Elf Power. Any of the Elephant Six bands would do! Check em’ all out they are really great!

As you may have noticed from my avatar I am a big Bluegrass fan! I love old time music, folk, blues and classic country. The only form of American Roots music that fits with absinthe in my opinion though is old Cajun and Creole music.

Hmmm…. I would also suggest the Amelie soundtrack!

As a side note I play the Mandolin, Banjo, Guitar, Dulcimer, Autoharp, Hammond Organ and Wurlitzer Electric Piano.

Cheerio!
chaz
QUOTE (Deluge @ Dec 6 2004, 12:00 PM)
As a side note I play the Dulcimer...

*drool* wub.gif
Absomphe
Deluge, Bruddah, how be things?

It's refreshing to see that at least one MWLF'er, besides Peruche Verte, that is, hasn't totally abandoned us!

Keep on a'pickin' and a'grinnin', Dude!
Deluge
Hello,

Right now things are going well I guess. I am working 40 hours a week behind a desk so sadly I am not able to play music as much as I would like. I am saving all my pennies for a nice Bart Reiter Open back banjo! I think after the holidays it will be mine! w00t2.gif

I am going to New Orleans in the middle of March and I am hoping to find a vintage bottle of Legendre Herbsaint along the way! wink.gif

I think I will have better luck with 78's though.

abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
Sounds like you have the world by the short 'n curlies, Deluge!

Enjoy that New Orleans jaunt, and good luck with that vintage Herbsaint quest. It sure ain't easy to score a bottle on Ebay!

no.gif
traineraz
Listening to? Me?

Why, Radio Free Klezmer on Live365.com.

Just thought I'd share, since the thread was askin' what I was listenin' to.
Gertz
I'll be damned - good ol' Deluge!

As for music and exotic string instruments . . . I enjoy greek rembetika music a lot. Main instrument is the bouzouki, which has three double courses of strings tuned d-a-d. I once tried to learn to play it, but strings generally just don't work well in my hands. I'll leave that to Vasilis Tsitsanis and listen to him while having a glass of green.
I_B_Puffin
I've been listening to the soundtrack from the PC game Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. Not too bad. The theme song was done by Ministry, an old favorite of mine.
celticgent
The Muder City Devils - In Name and Blood
grey boy
The Ducky Boys - Three Chords and the Truth

I can't wait to see these guys on Friday night.
Jack Batemaster
I've been listening to Djoor Knob whine and bitch.
celticgent
QUOTE (grey boy @ Dec 8 2004, 12:55 PM)

you fucker.

i love that band.

do you like Sinners and Saints and Dirty Water as well?

grey boy
Yup,
Another favorite is the Hudson Falcons.
celticgent
great band as well.

maybe you're not as much of a dipshit as i thought you were.

like the Street Dogs?

much better than having to hear ken casey sing every other goddam song on the new DKM stuff....
grey boy
Yup,
Ken is a better backup singer.

I'd love to see the Street Dogs.
Dropkicks were so much better with Mike McColgan in their early days, the Al Barr wasn't bad.

I guess you're not as big a Grumpy Ass as I thought.
Barsnake
gawd, I feel so old and out of touch...I have no idea who y'all are talking about.
& I used to consider myself pretty aware!

help me - it all slipping away........
bleedingink
QUOTE (celticgent @ Dec 8 2004, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (grey boy @ Dec 8 2004, 12:55 PM)

you fucker.

i love that band.

Hello Boston!

I love that album "No Gettin Out", haven't heard any of their new stuff though. Do they still sound the same?
thegreenimp
QUOTE (Deluge @ Dec 6 2004, 03:43 PM)

I am going to New Orleans in the middle of March and I am hoping to find a vintage bottle of Legendre Herbsaint along the way! wink.gif

The only time I saw any vintage Herbsaint, was when I brought a couple of bottles of my own, when I went to NOLA in August.
(There is an empty at the Pharmacy Museum)

Actual absinthe antiques were virtually non-existant in NOLA when I was there this summer.
(Even Lucullus was picked clean, with just a few common Losange spoons, and no glasses)
grey boy
QUOTE (bleedingink @ Dec 8 2004, 08:22 PM)
Hello Boston!

I love that album "No Gettin Out", haven't heard any of their new stuff though. Do they still sound the same?

Get yer arse to TT's on Friday night and find out!
bleedingink
QUOTE (grey boy @ Dec 8 2004, 07:17 PM)
QUOTE (bleedingink @ Dec 8 2004, 08:22 PM)
Hello Boston!

I love that album "No Gettin Out", haven't heard any of their new stuff though.  Do they still sound the same?

Get yer arse to TT's on Friday night and find out!

Ha! I just might do that....

If I'm not too hurting from that novelty act at Avalon the night before... wink.gif
grey boy
Right, enjoy.
abs-cheers.gif
I'm working the late 2nd job,
damn, I'll miss it.....
Abnorman
CAN RULES!!!

user posted image
celticgent
QUOTE (grey boy @ Dec 8 2004, 03:49 PM)
I guess you're not as big a Grumpy Ass as I thought.

don't be a kiss-ass.

chaz
shifting gears.. in the CD player today...

1) Ute Lemper - random german cabaret
2) Erasure
3) Interpol
4) Tears for Fears
5) Simian
6) The Happy Mondays
Deluge
Play list for the day...

1. Bob Dylan, live at the Gas Light. 1962
2. Hollow paw
3. Uncle Dave Macom
4. Ralph Stanley...Cry from the Cross
5. Devendra Banhart, Nina Rojo
6. Beachwood Sparks
7. The Zombies
8. Rev. Willie Johnson
9. Wilco... Being There
10. Sam Cooke and the Soul Stirrers
traineraz
Newport Smooth Jazz on live365.com.

Gotta love that streaming audio.
Nate
So far today:

Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack
Tiamat--Skeleton Skeletron
Tom Waits--Alice
Sinergy--Suicide by my Side
Within Temptation--Mother Earth
Absomphe
Any list that includes Tom Waits, can't be all bad. abs-cheers.gif
Nate
abs-cheers.gif

I'm a fan of the bizarre and melancholy. Not sure if you'd like the other stuff, but any fan of Waits is a friend of mine.

Ever see his movie "Big Time"?
Gertz
As for bizarre and melancholy, you might want to check out a norwegian band called Kaizers Orchestra.

Apparently, Tom Waits likes them. So do I.
Perruche_verte
Camera Obscura -- the last studio album by Nico and the Faction. Produced by John Cale; arrangements and keyboards by James Young. It features Nico's sincere and disturbing cover of "My Funny Valentine".

Young is the author of _Songs they Never Play On the Radio_, which is about the last few years of Nico's life.
It's well worth a read.
Nate
QUOTE (Gertz @ Dec 9 2004, 11:58 PM)
As for bizarre and melancholy, you might want to check out a norwegian band called Kaizers Orchestra.

Apparently, Tom Waits likes them. So do I.

Nice stuff. Going to have to pick something up from them. Only got to hear some of the soundclips on the site, but I liked a bit of what I heard.

Here's a bit of a quest for anyone interested:

One of my favorite bands is Devil Doll. I know of a site to get ahold of their releases, but the hard part is finding sound clips to do the music justice. On all of the albums but one, the music is all on one track. There are so many emotions contained in the hour long songs that I can't even begin to explain what the full experience of just sitting and listening to one of their records is like. At www.devildoll.nl, they have short clips when you click on one of the albums to explain a bit about it. Theyre only about a minute long though. CDs are available through The End records' website. Great absinthian music too. Ponderous and quite bizarre. I highly recommend Eliogabalus and Dies Irae.
Abnorman
QUOTE (Nate @ Dec 9 2004, 10:25 PM)
...any fan of Waits is a friend of mine.

abs-cheers.gif

I've seen Big Time several times but never on the big screen. I'm waiting for a DVD of it...
Absomphe
QUOTE (Nate @ Dec 9 2004, 09:25 PM)
abs-cheers.gif

I'm a fan of the bizarre and melancholy. Not sure if you'd like the other stuff, but any fan of Waits is a friend of mine.

Yes, but like Billy, I've never had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen.

A DVD would be a great addition to my quirky movie collection.! abs-cheers.gif
Abnorman
1. Can (Sacrilege & Soon Over Babaluma)
2. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (Abattoir Blues/The Lyre Of Orpheus & Murder Ballads)
3. Pere Ubu (Dub Housing & The Modern Dance)
4. Johnny Cash (Unearthed box set)
and on a lighter note,
5. Brian Wilson (SMiLE)
Barsnake
How 'bout Tom Waits, John Lurie (Lounge Lizards), & Roberto Begnigni in Down By Law...

loved that movie!
celticgent
great flick.

i remember being extremely drunk one night (big stretch) and discussing that movie over IM's with the mayor.

WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM
Abnorman
And then there's Tom Waits & Iggy Pop in Coffee & Cigarettes. Hilarious!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.