Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why the ritual..?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
chaz
seems like people here are into their rituals re: absinthe and say, music or preparation. what about rituals, re: absinthe or in general, that attracts you to them? and why?

[edit]: where else in your life does ritual play a part?
Zman
For most the "ritual" of adding sugar and water to absinthe is one of practicality. Both make it a pleasant long drink. If you were to add the sugar directly to the absinthe, then add water, most of the sugar would not dissolve.
Nate
I think it's partly that absinthe is such a novelty drink. It has a lot of history, it does things that no other drinks do, it comes in funny colors, etc.

I like a lot of atmosphere to go with the clarity of mind, not to mention having something to listen to to go along with watching the ice water drip.

My ritual is putting on some absinthian music (hehe...I made up a word), turning on the black lights, and watching the ice water go through that...glass...thing...I got. We don't have to wait for much in this day and age, but a good glass of absinthe forces you to appreciate those few minutes ya know?

Or I could just be babbling like an idiot, I dunno.
I_B_Puffin
Anticipation makes you enjoy it more.
Nate
Yeah, that too. abs-cheers.gif
traineraz
I dunno nuthin 'bout no rituals.
caesar
Ritual stills and centers the mind. It takes us from conscious reality to the supra conscious. Like the Japanese tea ceremony, we are focused in the moment. The steady drip from the fountain, or especially if done by hand, moves one to an archetypal reality where we touch the true meaning of self.

Not everyone is capable of the stillness required to perform ritual acts. Those who are, look for ways to create ritual in all aspects of their lives.
traineraz
See, here I thought it was just their way of dealing with OCD.
Nate
I'd just like to say that, though I've only been here a couple days, I love this place. Bizarre senses of humor 'round these here parts.
Symbiote
You ain't seen nothin yet.
Absomphe
The absinthe ritual affords those of us who aren't into heroin, the opportunity to feel like genuine addicts! w00t2.gif
Hiram
QUOTE (Nate @ Dec 7 2004, 07:02 PM)
My ritual is putting on some absinthian music (hehe...I made up a word),

DOH!! Don't you hate it when that happens?
Nate
Drat! *slaps knee* Foiled again!
celticgent
i like the ritual of drinking alcohol until i get drunk.
Absomphe
For you, that's about as commemorative a "ritual" as draining the lizard.
celticgent
zactly.

some people take themselves way too seriously.
Absomphe

INDEED!!!

You have a very rational view of the universe, as strange as that may be, Celty!
caesar
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Dec 8 2004, 02:15 PM)
For you, that's about as commemorative a "ritual" as draining the lizard.

It seems that those two rituals go hand in hand.
Absomphe
No, Caesar, that's more like hand on dildollpink.gif
caesar
look mom, no hands!

NOT SAFE FOR WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
traineraz
Another photo from your younger days, I see.

In the future, please at least put in a NOT WORK-SAFE notice and a spacing header, okee?
caesar
Better? or more space!

I could always photoshop a little doll over Mr, Happy.

Or maybe a drumstick? Or chop.gif?
grey boy
Cornhole, i.e. worksafe.
That would suck (no pun intended) if your boss walked in while that was on the screen.
caesar
I think I've been childish enough!

OK, move on! Nothing here to see....
Absomphe
QUOTE (caesar @ Dec 8 2004, 04:31 PM)
look mom, no hands!

That's the perfect compliment to "Sorry ladies, no dick".

At least you're consistent, Caesar. harhar.gif
caesar
You have a long memory Absomphe!
caesar
Awe, screw it! I am a childish mudderfugger. w00t2.gif

DO NOT OPEN AT WORK! IF YOU VALUE YOUR JOB, GO AWAY FROM THIS THREAD NOW. THIS IS NOT WORK FRIENDLY, (although job does come to mind)!

BEGONE!

BEGONE!

BEGONE!

GET THEE TO A NUNNERY!!!!

NUN CAN PASS!

ARE YOU STILL HERE????

YOU GOT SOME BALZ!!!

ARE YOU READY????

WAIT FOR IT???

Symbiote
That's talent. blink.gif
Zman
So sayeth the voice of experience.
Absomphe
Literally, in this particular case.

And that's IF he's really limber, AND gets lucky.
Grim
Now he can't possibly be enjoying that... I mean for chrissakes the veins are popping out of his head. It's stressing him out just proving that it's possible. Where's the fun in that? Why can't people just make love to themselves anymore? Who the fuck is djarcum?
chaz
QUOTE (caesar @ Dec 7 2004, 11:36 PM)
Ritual stills and centers the mind. It takes us from conscious reality to the supra conscious. Like the Japanese tea ceremony, we are focused in the moment. The steady drip from the fountain, or especially if done by hand, moves one to an archetypal reality where we touch the true meaning of self.

Not everyone is capable of the stillness required to perform ritual acts. Those who are, look for ways to create ritual in all aspects of their lives.

that's what i'm talking about..

i'm starting to take to making my days more routine.. which i haven't done in about 2 years. i figure, if certain things in my life don't require planning, i can then also be more spontaneous.

everything from..
- getting up at the same time every day, no matter which day of the week it is..
- putting keys, bag, jacket in the same spots..
- eating meals at only certain hours..
- limiting my diet to only certain foods..
- exercising.. and doing certain types of physical activity on specific days.
- getting to sleep at a reasonable hour, come hell or high water..
- marking bill due dates on a calendar.. hell any important thing on one!

i'm finding by making these things routine.. and then giving them the respect of ritual, i'm finding myself grinding my teeth a whole lot less!

in a previous version of my "life".. i even had a "spirit plate", onto which i would put little bits of each type of food that was to be consumed at dinner, as to not take for granted the fact i had food and give thanks.

as a result of trying to do stuff like this.. i've actually found MORE time to do things i like... practicing music, writing, drawing.

i've even taken to carrying around a sketchpad again.. so that if i'm just waiting around for a bus, or taking coffee someplace, i make my time worthwhile.

as soon as i become employed...
i'm taking up fencing again.. and i'm going to join a local gun club.
traineraz
QUOTE (chaz @ Dec 9 2004, 09:34 AM)
The steady drip from the fountain, or especially if done by hand, moves one to an archetypal reality where we touch the true meaning of self.

Also known as the French Water Torture.
caesar
Discipline, focus and being in the moment. Be here now, Be now here.

Well, grasshoppa, you have found the path.

Most of us live our lives thinking about the past or worrying about what is to come. Very few are participating in the present and living a life. How often do you sit and contemplate the flow of thoughts that stream through your conscious mind?

The foundation for any meditative endeavor is contemplation. This is the workout for the mind/spirit. The first time you sit down to contemplate an object, have a handful of pennies or beads or anything. Observe that object. Don't comment on it, observe. Every time another thought comes into your mind, drop a penny. Then allow the thought to pass and return to your object. I guarantee, if you do this for three minutes a day for a week, you will have a ton of pennies on the floor, but fewer and fewer each day. You will find yourself clearer and you will honor each ritual act more profoundly.

The more you participate in the present, the more you will be present in your relationships. Not reacting to triggers from your past or worries from the future. You will see with clarity and honor the beauty all around.
Absomphe
Beutifully stated, Caesar!

I, for one, have made a lifelong pursuit of "living in the moment...

I guess that's what led me to become an antiques dealer.

caesar
A true test. Living in the moment, in the past!

abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
It's like you know me IRL, my friend. abs-cheers.gif
Gertz
Zen and the Art of Absinthe Drinking.

Legler-Pernod-mini.gif
Jack Batemaster
Talk to Sqertz, Gertz.
Gertz
Hog the smack, Jack.
Absomphe
I'll bet you don't even begin to sense the irony in that statement, Bruddah! no.gif
Grim
you will have a ton of pennies on the floor, but fewer and fewer each day.

Absinthe will do that to ya.
caesar
QUOTE (monsieurgrim @ Dec 10 2004, 12:07 PM)
you will have a ton of pennies on the floor, but fewer and fewer each day.

Absinthe will do that to ya.

Damn, you're good! worshippy.gif
Passepartoute
QUOTE (chaz @ Dec 7 2004, 07:36 PM)
seems like people here are into their rituals...

I don't know about the other folks; but for me, anything that costs more than $100 a bottle deserves a bit of ritual.

You should see what I do when I get my hand on a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue!
Absomphe
Until the liquor section mysteriously vanished, Liquorama used to have a 1926 Macallan available, for $36,000.

I'd love to see the ritual you'd perform on that puppy! w00t2.gif
Passepartoute
It would probably involve something like the picture postd earlier w00t2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.