Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinthe Montmartre 65°
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe Brands Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Tuivel
Dear fellow Absintheurs,

Kallisti has given me permission to tell you about a certain project i was personally involved with this last year.

Basically the distillery Fischer and i got together to create the first austrian Absinthe that would try to stick to quality production methods... you know, manufacture by distillation, coloration with the correct herbs, no sugar, no diluting with neutral alcohol... all that stuff.

Well the first charge is basically ready now and hopefully hitting the shops during the coming weeks. Beeing the first austrian attempt at real quality Absinthe don't expect an austrian version of jade immediatly upon release - just not gonna happen wink.gif

But the product is very likely to continue development with future runs, based to a good part on customer feedback. So feel free to bitch, i'll make sure it reaches the right people wink.gif

I'm not gonna go into details about taste etc. but a wave of free samples is going to be dispatched these days and i am sure one or two of the people who get a bottle will want to give you a review anyway, so you don't have to buy the proverbial cat in the bag (or whatever would be the correct english phrase).

You can check out the website here:

http://www.absinthe-montmartre.com/

Please take a look at it before asking questions. wink.gif

If you still have questions after that i'll see if i get to answering them tomorrow... 'cause right now i'll be going to sleep.

g'night and cheers
Tuivel

user posted image
traineraz
Nice website! It certainly looks as though you have made the effort to produce a quality product.

A couple of things you may (or may not!) wish to comment on are the quality of your herb sources and the water used, as each of these can have a significant impact upon the flavor of the finished product.

Have you made an arrangement with an online distributor yet?
Patlow
as a (former) resident of montemarte, i wonder why you chose your name as such. care to elaborate???

well done though, the intentions seem good. and as long as they lead us to hell, i'm on board...
Hiram
Congratulations!

Strictly in the interests of further education and on behalf of The Wormwood Society, I'd be happy to try it. PM me and I'll give you my address. dev.gif
Zman
Congratulations and Good luck with your new venture.
Conju
I would also enjoy having a sample, you can PM me for my address as well.

Thank you tuivel.
traineraz
Well, I'd be happy to try it too, but only to see if I want to buy it.
morgueann
I'd like to sample it to review as well.
PM me if you're interested.

PS: Reading your ingredients list, if you put them together like I think you did in the stills, it sounds pretty strong. And I mean mostly in flavour and aroma. However, 65 degrees is still nothing to joke about. pirate2.gif
Nate
Nice color in the picture. blink.gif
I'll take a bottle.
Grim
For the sake of convenience, all members of this forum are unanimous in having their samples sent to me - seeing as this will reduce the cost of sending multiple packages across the pond. And you can rest assured that I'll get each lucky member his (or morgueann's) sample. abs-cheers.gif
Perruche_verte
Best wishes, and be assured that you'll be subjected to relentless criticism from les professeurs d'absinthe. Consider it a mark of favor, since you are actually taking on something so ambitious. We can still count the number of above-ground distillers who are producing anything worth drinking on the fingers of both hands!

Let's see, in no particular order...

Jade/Combier
Devoille
Pernot
Segarra
Guy
Lemercier
Kubler
Claude-Alain Bugnon (peut-etre)
WhyteKnight
Sounds exciting. I'm certainly interested.
traineraz
QUOTE (Perruche_verte @ Dec 25 2004, 11:30 PM)

Let's see, in no particular order...

Jade/Combier
Devoille
Pernot [EDIT:  I misread this as "Pernod."  ACK removed.]
Segarra (HUH?  I spoze not TOO bad . . .)
Guy (ASS!)
Lemercier (Ain't tried it, but ain't heard much good)
Kubler (if you like the anise)
Claude-Alain Bugnon (WHO?)

What were you thinking?!
Tuivel
A couple of things you may (or may not!) wish to comment on are the quality of your herb sources

We could'nt afford having something grown especially for us like some of the better known distilleries so we had to make do with what we could get.

I like the wormwood we got, it's certainly better than what i could get as a homedistiller. The pontica is pretty much on the same level as the stuff sold by cascade herbs. FF, anise and angelica seeds and all the other stuff are all okay, although personally i am not sure if the anise was the best choice.

and the water used

Actually now that you ask i realize i never bothered giving the water much thought. But Vienna is said to have one of the worlds best quality drinking water, so it can't be too bad.

as a (former) resident of montemarte, i wonder why you chose your name as such. care to elaborate???

Gerry suggested it, i liked it. It reminds one of famous french cafes and a bunch of drunken artists dripping with absinthe wink.gif
It's a tribute to the french roots of the drink.

Reading your ingredients list, if you put them together like I think you did in the stills, it sounds pretty strong. And I mean mostly in flavour and aroma. However, 65 degrees is still nothing to joke about.

I think it is pretty strong. And i agree 65 is a lot. But i feel the alcohol doesn't really show trough. I tried it with just 3 parts water and it didn't seem offensive.

Best wishes, and be assured that you'll be subjected to relentless criticism from les professeurs d'absinthe.

I expect nothing less biggrin.gif

I think the product still has some way to go. The project ran into problems, delays, and in the end the launch was a bit rushed i feel. The first charge differs to some degree from our small scale prototype. But at least it allready beats Mata Hari tongue.gif and it's an important step towards the right direction.

And thanks for all your interest in trying the product, i'd love to supply everyone with a free taste but i allready had a big list of people when i posted this and i think Gerry's gonna kill me if i bother him with more wink.gif
Kirk
I would gladly pay you with a sterling silver grille next tuesday ,
for a bottle of your absinthe today.
The Green Spirit
Congrats! abs-cheers.gif
And good luck with the production.

The only immediate criticism I have is the small-(or thin-)lookin' bottle. Nice label though.
Brett
On their "preparation" page, they even advise against setting the absinthe on fire. This is a good thing to see.
Absomphe
Congrats, and best of luck in your venture, Tuivel.

From the color of your absinthe, it does indeed look promising! abs-cheers.gif
Tuivel
Icarus
and the water used

A little birdie mentioned to me that distilled water was the stuff to be used.
It adds no flavor, just volume.

Licorice root, orange peel, citrus peel, cinammon, mint ... does the Moonman know you stole his recipe? harhar.gif
le Gimp
Cherrs!

And best wishes in your endevour.

abs-cheers.gif
Perruche_verte
QUOTE (traineraz @ Dec 26 2004, 02:44 AM)
QUOTE (Perruche_verte @ Dec 25 2004, 11:30 PM)

Pernot (ACK!?!)
Segarra (HUH?  I spoze not TOO bad . . .)
Guy (ASS!)
Lemercier (Ain't tried it, but ain't heard much good)
Kubler (if you like the anise)
Claude-Alain Bugnon (WHO?)

What were you thinking?!

I said they were all worth drinking. I didn't say they were all my favorites.

Until you've developed and marketed a commercial distilled absinthe and begun worldwide distribution, you are welcome to come down off your high horse.

Seriously, I get sick of this attitude. A few people, such as Artemis, have contributed enough to the common fund of absinthe knowledge to make them entitled to a little snobbishness, but I wish some of y'all would put up or shut up.
traineraz
Let's see, F Guy is, I suppose, subject to taste, but I don't consider it worth the effort of drinking.

Kubler is worth drinking, but not worth the money.

Segarra 68 is crap that I spit out.

. . . and I misread "Pernot" as "Pernod" and apologize for that ACK.
pierreverte
>Segarra 68 is crap that I spit out.

to julian segarra's credit, he didn't like it either...
grey boy
HA!
traineraz
But he had no problem slapping a big price tag on it and selling it . . .
grey boy
I said...
HA!
Grim
QUOTE (The Green Spirit @ Dec 26 2004, 12:00 PM)
The only immediate criticism I have is the small-(or thin-)lookin' bottle. Nice label though.

Well, a liter is a liter I suppose. It IS a liter right?
justabob
QUOTE (Perruche_verte @ Dec 26 2004, 03:13 PM)
Until you've developed and marketed a commercial distilled absinthe and begun worldwide distribution, you are welcome to come down off your high horse.

Seriously, I get sick of this attitude. A few people, such as Artemis, have contributed enough to the common fund of absinthe knowledge to make them entitled to a little snobbishness, but I wish some of y'all would put up or shut up.

Well said.
WhyteKnight
QUOTE (monsieurgrim @ Dec 26 2004, 10:18 PM)
Well, a liter is a liter I suppose. It IS a liter right?

It looks sort of like a half liter to me, taking into consideration its apparent size near to the glass.
Conju
Definitely not a liter,
half liter maybe,
might be less

Then again that could just be one of the sample bottles they are shipping.
Tuivel
It's a half liter. I would have prefered liter bottles but they are very unpopular with vendors and distillers. They fear they can't sell them because at first glance their price appears very high.
WhyteKnight
That makes sense I suppose. Some people may view a half liter as a lesser value though. Have you any idea what sort of pricing bracket this will be falling into yet?
Kirk
QUOTE (Tuivel @ Dec 27 2004, 03:39 AM)
It's a half liter.

OK, one grille for two bottles . abs-cheers.gif
Brett
QUOTE (Tuivel @ Dec 27 2004, 12:39 AM)
It's a half liter. I would have prefered liter bottles but they are very unpopular with vendors and distillers. They fear they can't sell them because at first glance their price appears very high.

Markus has told me much the same thing in the past when I asked if he stocked a certain product in a litre bottle.
DenSetsu
I think it's needless to say that I will take a sample for personal review as well abs-cheers.gif
Conju
This has already been asked, but I didn't see an answer on it yet.

Have you made arrangements for any online distributor(s) as of yet, and if so, who(m)?
kingdubhda
Plus, a litre bottle has got to add some to the cost of shipping.

Conju
Only in weight, shipping generally has a pretty flat rate when it comes to weight. So you may see little to no price increase/oz
pierreverte
>Only in weight, shipping generally has a pretty flat rate when it comes to weight.

not!
Grim
Yeah, check the Royal Mail website. Gaaawddamn.
Tuivel
Have you made arrangements for any online distributor(s) as of yet, and if so, who(m)?

Alandia, Markus Lion, Spiritscorner, Absinth-Oase, and Absinthe24.de are probably the most important shops that have shown interest so far. That doesn't necessarily mean all of them will finally carry it, but we should soon see wink.gif
WhyteKnight
What sort of time frame are you looking at? Within a month, more than a month? Has the pricing been decided? I can't imagine its inexpensive to manufacture.
hartsmar
Tuivel... Congrats on finally crossing the finish line.
Looking forward to trying it, really.

It SHOULD beat Mata Hari... Hell, anything beats Mata Hari. Except maybe Perigan.
hartsmar
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Dec 26 2004, 04:02 PM)
>Segarra 68 is crap that I spit out.

to julian segarra's credit, he didn't like it either...

Well, neither did I. Now, where do I get credit?
Hiram
QUOTE (Tuivel @ Dec 28 2004, 12:04 AM)
Alandia, Markus Lion, Spiritscorner, Absinth-Oase, and Absinthe24.de...

Ah. Going for the sugar-burning thuj0ne-lovers market, eh?
Gertz
QUOTE (monsieurgrim @ Dec 26 2004, 06:21 AM)
For the sake of convenience, all members of this forum are unanimous in having their samples sent to me - seeing as this will reduce the cost of sending multiple packages across the pond.

For the sake of convenience, there's no need to send samples across the pond. A bit up north will do. viking_emoticon.gif

Looks interesting. Nice colour.
Tuivel
I don't think it will take more than a month.

As far as pricing is concerned... the distillery wanted a "prestige product" not a "cash-cow-product" so it will leave the distillery at a very reasonable price(barely more than what it takes to pay for the cost of making it). How much profit the final resellers will calculate into the price is pretty much out of our hand as i understand...
traineraz
QUOTE (Hiram @ Dec 28 2004, 11:19 AM)
Ah. Going for the sugar-burning thuj0ne-lovers market, eh?

Hey! Don't slam the Corner!

SerpisCorner doesn't only carry het.gif
Hiram
Yeah, I was mostly referring to the others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.