Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Book: Hideous Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Steve
I saw this at the Absinthe Connoisseurs tribe (which is another topic by itself- mostly uninformed folk, but there's one guy who keeps referring people to come to FV for info. It's funny- they have a picture of a bottle of Mari Mayans as the main "tribe photo"- now that's the sign of a true connoisseur! het.gif ).

Anyhoo, has anyone read the book Hideous Absinthe: A History of the Devil in a Bottle? There is an audio of an interview with the author Jad Adams on All Things Considered on NPR from April last year when the book was released. It sounds like he might give a bit too much credence to the thujone myth, and in the excerpt he talks about how Czechsinth became popular but otherwise sounds like an interesting take on the connection between art and absinthe.
Conju
Heard the audio, but haven't read the book. If memory serves me correctly, someone here calimed it to be shite. I could be wrong, though.
Shlomo the Dung Cart Boy
From what I've read here, any number of board members would have given a much more accurate interview.
pierreverte
but only a very few have that cool english accent, which lends total credibility...
Oxygenee
The book has some interesting things to say about the English Decadent movement and the Symbolist poets (which is an area the author actually knows something about it), but for the rest, it's a hack job.

Big chunks are more or less verbatim translations from Madame Delahaye's books, and Adams introduces several pieces of entirely original misinformation - including the hypothesis, stated as fact, that the use of absinthe spoons (which he thinks were elaborate, expensive, solid silver items) arose from a desire by the rich to differentiate their absinthe drinking ritual from hoi polloi (a uniquely nutty idea that hasn't even occurred to anyone else before, not even to our Uruguayan friend).

The illustrations, at least in my edition, are pathetic, and incompetently reproduced.

Adams is very well connected amongst the English critical and literary intelligensia, and so his book has attracted highly complimentary reviews, which it certainly doesn't deserve.
Hiram
Don't hold back, Oxy. How do you really feel?
morgueann
Werd.

Hey Oxy, nice avatar btw. I saw the book on Amazon a short bit ago. Just reading the first few pages of comments and the front page, I knew right away to stay away.
traineraz
QUOTE (absinthespoon @ Jan 4 2005, 05:51 AM)
I saw this at the Absinthe Connoisseurs tribe

They misspelled "sewer."
pierreverte
absinthe tastes horrible, like sucking a copper penny...that's why so many people drank it!
Shlomo the Dung Cart Boy
I guess that would be in reference to the copper salts that were added back then for that nice blue-green? Or has he had a sample of the latest "STRONG"??
Steve
QUOTE (traineraz @ Jan 4 2005, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (absinthespoon @ Jan 4 2005, 05:51 AM)
I saw this at the Absinthe Connoisseurs tribe

They misspelled "sewer."

Go educate them, Trainer!

Great review, Oxy! I expected everyone just to say it's crap (which I already knew) but you gave us much more!
Steve
The tribe.net thing is a little too weird for me. Everyone sees all the tribes you belong to. Do you really think it's a good idea to belong to the "Legal Professionals networking for jobs" tribe and the "sluts who slurp cum" tribe (I made these up but they might be real) etc.?
wacko.gif
verawench
QUOTE (morgueann @ Jan 4 2005, 04:29 PM)
I saw the book on Amazon a short bit ago.

Ah, but thank heavens for the following packaged deal:

"Buy this book with "Absinthe" by Betina Wittels, et al today!"
verawench
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 4 2005, 11:01 AM)
but only a very few have that cool english accent, which lends total credibility...

I wonder what my Polish accent would lend to a lecture on absinthe....
pierreverte
NIE BIJ MNIE, JESTEM OBCOKRAJOWCEM

i'm sure you could charm the pants off of anyone you wished...
verawench
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 4 2005, 05:54 PM)

ROFL!!

Damnit, Peter, absinthe BURNS when ejaculated violently through one's nostrils!

Steve
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 4 2005, 04:54 PM)

Translation from poltran.com (google doesn't do polish):

It DON'T BEAT I, I AM FOREIGNER

wacko.gif
verawench
QUOTE (absinthespoon @ Jan 4 2005, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 4 2005, 04:54 PM)

Translation from poltran.com (google doesn't do polish):

It DON'T BEAT I, I AM FOREIGNER

wacko.gif

Haha, close enough but it actually says: "Don't hit me / beat me up, I'm a foreigner!"
Gertz
QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Jan 4 2005, 08:24 PM)
Adams is very well connected amongst the English critical and literary intelligensia, and so his book has attracted highly complimentary reviews, which it certainly doesn't deserve.

I read a review of it a while ago. It was mostly about the reviewer's own adventures as one of the pioneers in the introduction of Hill's and the fire ritual to the british crowd.

Then he goes on admitting that he don't drink absinthe any longer, but only reads about it. He claims that even he, being such an expert, learned a lot from reading Adams' book.
hartsmar
QUOTE (absinthespoon @ Jan 4 2005, 07:01 PM)
I AM FOREIGNER

So, I take it you're the one behind crappy love song classics such as "I Want to Know What Love Is" etc...

If so, I'd be happy to beat you. hehe

frusty.gif
morgueann
QUOTE (verawench @ Jan 5 2005, 02:47 AM)
one's nostrils!

Just not our Nostrils.
pierreverte

>"I Want to Know What Love Is" etc...

NIEDOBRZE MI
verawench
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 5 2005, 11:12 AM)
>"I Want to Know What Love Is" etc...

BOZE JASNY, AZ ZYGAC SIE CHCE.
pierreverte
NIE ROZUMIEM
thegreenimp
QUOTE (verawench @ Jan 4 2005, 06:12 PM)
[/QUOTE]
I wonder what my Polish accent would lend to a lecture on absinthe....

I don't know about absinthe, but if it were helicopters, I know the owner of this company, and he'd be impressed.
Steve
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 5 2005, 03:43 PM)
NIE ROZUMIEM

IS POLISH ALWAYS IN ALL CAPS?
verawench
QUOTE (absinthespoon @ Jan 5 2005, 06:44 PM)

Ever since the fall of Communism, yes.
Absomphe
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 4 2005, 05:41 PM)
absinthe tastes horrible, like sucking a copper penny...

I didn't know absinthe was popular in Scotland! shock.gif

Thanks, Peter! abs-cheers.gif
celticgent
shaddap, cunt.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (celticgent @ Jan 6 2005, 09:18 AM)
shaddap, cunt.

it's spelled "coont".
Hiram
QUOTE (absinthespoon @ Jan 5 2005, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Jan 5 2005, 03:43 PM)
NIE ROZUMIEM

Damn you. This isn't the first time you've beat me to my line. (and it probably won't be the last)
celticgent
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Jan 6 2005, 10:30 AM)

it's spelled "coont".

whatever, twot.
Absomphe
QUOTE (celticgent @ Jan 6 2005, 10:18 AM)
shaddap, cunt.

Feck off, ya pennypinching, bogjumping, corpse-sodomizing gobshite highland wankerbiotch. dildollpink.gif
Conju
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Jan 6 2005, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE (celticgent @ Jan 6 2005, 10:18 AM)
shaddap, cunt.

Feck off, ya pennypinching, bogjumping, corpse-sodomizing gobshite highland wankerbiotch. dildollpink.gif

You're a Horse's Ass. (I am too so don't bother with the joke)

whatever, twot.

And you need to get laid.

This has been therapy by conju. Bad therapy by conju.
hartsmar
Actually I've never thought about it before, but finding a good Polish-English online dictionary is a bitch!

celticgent
QUOTE (Conju @ Jan 7 2005, 12:15 AM)
And you need to get laid.

don't make me start another episode of the "Master of the Obvious" game.
Conju
You'll probably do it regardless of what I say.
celticgent
true, very true.

pirate2.gif
Jack Batemaster
Yeah, it's really quite obvious that CeeGee gets laid on a regular basis. Just ask the guards at the Syracuse Men's Correctional Facility about visitation day.
Conju
I was actually thinking of asking the men at the cuff, or checking at the rest stops and truck stops along I-5, but whatever works.
Absomphe
I knew you had a major itch in the pants to start trolling for trouser trout at the Cuff.

It's about time it, and you, came out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.