Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drink of the moment
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Cellar
Pages: 1, 2
bexclent
Okay Kids....

It is quite obvious that we all have an alcohol problem....or issue....or dependancy....or fetish...call it what you like!

Some of us are actually functional....most of us I would say....

But it would be a safe bet that all of us have a drink every day....

So what is that drink of choice or opportunity? What are you drinking RIGHT NOW? I know that we would all like to say ABSINTHE!!! But that is just not practical...nor affordable (at least for me.)

What do you drink when surfing the web? I am always looking for suggestions for new things to drink...be it types or brands or mixes....

I will say that i am drinking some wine at this very moment....a cherry wine from northern Michigan...Traverse Bay Cherry Ginseng Wine...$7.99 a bottle and a bragain at that!

How about you?
Nate
I'm drinking a chocolate shake from Checkers at the moment.

Usually I'm drinking Hefeweisen, Killian's, Murpheys, Guinness, Southern Comfort/Mountain Dew, screwdrivers, whatever I have access to depending on the time of night/day.
bexclent
mm..Hefeweisen...i really like wheat beers...

try hoegarten..and for a really good AMERICAN wheat beer....

Blue Moon...outstanding! and brewed in Tennessee!!!!

Do you squeeze an orange into yours? how about lemon?
Nate
No wheat beer is complete without lemon. abs-cheers.gif
Breson
Bourbon and Soda here. Drink it until I feel drunk at which point I leave the soda out.

Blue Moon...outstanding! and brewed in Tennessee!!!!

Blue Moon Belgian White Rocks!!!!
Artemis
But it would be a safe bet that all of us have a drink every day....

Las Vegas awaits you with a red carpet and an Elvis wig.
I don't drink every week, much less every day, and I almost never do anything else while drinking, especially try to write coherently.

Charlie don't "surf", either.

Try the sherry from Tabor Hill at the other end of the state. Drop in to their tasting room someday, there's a girl behind the counter who'll make you forget all about wine.
Brett
I usually drink whatever strikes me at the moment. Usually some sort of ale, as it is cheaper and more readily available than absinthe.
Jaded Prole
Coffee in the morning, absinthe in the evening, at least several times a week.
thegreenimp
Grain Alcohol & Rainwater.

P.O.E.
traineraz
Brainwater? blink.gif

user posted image
Symbiote
I drink the sweet nectar from my experimental body fluid-havesting suit.

It is quite obvious that we all have an alcohol problem....or issue....or dependancy....or fetish...call it what you like!

Connoisseur! user posted image
thegreenimp
http://imdb.com/title/tt0057012/quotes

General Jack D. Ripper: Now why don't you just take it easy, Group Captain, and please make me a drink of grain alcohol and rainwater, and help yourself to whatever you'd like.
[Mandrake snaps to attention and salutes]
templar
I like to stay loyal to the reason we are here, so when here I drink Absinthe. This afternoon it is Alandia Strong 68...not the best, but until my Emile 68 arrives it'll do.

Templar
traineraz
blink.gif

No, definitely not the best.

You might want to think twice before admitting that you're drinking that on purpose. frusty.gif
Passepartoute
QUOTE (templar @ Feb 12 2005, 02:35 PM)
This afternoon it is Alandia Strong 68...not the best, but until my Emile 68 arrives it'll do.

In my last order from Alandia, I got a 500ml bottle of Strong 68 and after one glass, I thought it was horrid and stuck to my Emile, NS70 and Pernod. Then, last Sunday night, on a whim, I decided to give it one more try - Full ritual; spoon, 2 sugar cubes (very bitter) and a nice drip.... It almost killed me (blood sugar took a nose drive and almost fainted)! DON'T DRINK THAT SH*T!!! Throw it away and buy something worthwhile.
anticlimacus
They're trying to steal our precious bodily fluids.
thegreenimp
Purity Of Essence.
anticlimacus
One of the funniest movies of all time.
celticgent
coffee, water, and sometimes tea.

if, on the odd chance that i waste my(i.e. not my employer's) time here or at the lounge, then i'll usually be drinking whiskey of some sort.

Gertz
QUOTE (Nate @ Jan 30 2005, 02:06 AM)
No wheat beer is complete without lemon.

Sacrilege! Lemon in wheat beer is the beer equivalent to burning sugar in absinthe.

But then again, you can only make so much damage to a rather mediocre drink such as Hoegaarden.
Absomphe
Aw, c'mon Gertz, it's only wheat beer, and lemon actually does enhance an ester that's already present in the brew.
Breson
Actually am drinking a sazerac, made with 18 yr old rye whiskey in a glass flavor swirled with Jade NO.....
Absomphe
Very impressive drink selection, for an alleged dumass! shock.gif
Breson
you might be surprised,,,, and alleged and convicted are 2 different things my friend
Conju
You'd be surprised how only one comma can be necessary.
grey boy
I'm with Gertz,
lemon kills the flavors of a properly made wheat beer.
grey boy
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Feb 15 2005, 04:43 PM)
it's only wheat beer

Um, what, seriously?
You're kidding, right?
Artemis
If there are esters in wheat beer, it's because of the yeast strain, not the wheat. You don't have to use yeast that throws off those clove or bubblegum flavors to make wheat beer, and I never do. A clean wheat beer is wonderful thing - it would be a shame to put lemon in it, but for that matter, if lemon improves a beer, it would have to be a pretty shitty beer to start with.
Absomphe
QUOTE (grey boy @ Feb 15 2005, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Feb 15 2005, 04:43 PM)
it's only wheat beer

Um, what, seriously?
You're kidding, right?

I'm a big fan of Aventinus, and the Aventinus Eisbock, but overall, wheat beers are warm weather lawnmower quaffs for me, and I don't have any lawns to mow, so that should indicate how often I quaff them.

What can I say, Grey? I'm a strong ale fan, and wheat beers tend to be lagers. If I'm genuinely thirsty, I'll usually choose water over a wheat beer.
Artemis
I detest that expression "lawnmower beer". The only way I'm drinking beer to replenish bodily fluids (i.e., if I'm thirsty) is if no water is available. So I agree on water over wheat (or any other) beer.

I seem to remember a cloudy, rich wheat beer made by the Portland Brewing Company, available on tap around Rainier, Kalama, etc. Try it and correct your mistaken impression of wheat beers in general.

And by the way, all wheat beers are ales - I can't think of even one wheat lager.
Absomphe
I've tried virtually every wheat beer available in the Northwest, since I drank my first Pyramid Wheaten Ale here, in 1984.

Most of them are perfectly nice, refreshing, slighty clovey and banana-like, just nothing exciting to my palate. As I said, I tend to gravitate towards strong, and strongly flavored ales.
Breson
QUOTE (Conju @ Feb 15 2005, 07:23 PM)
You'd be surprised how only one comma can be necessary.

I wouldn't want to rob you of the opportunity to entertain us with another one of your "snappy putdowns" ---->,,,,,,, <----
Absomphe
Don't forget to type "swing and a miss" when he makes one, Breson.
Jaded Prole
You guys are making me thirsty. A little BdF to wet the palate . . .
Artemis
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Feb 17 2005, 03:37 AM)
I've tried virtually every wheat beer available in the Northwest, since I drank my first Pyramid Wheaten Ale here, in 1984.

Then maybe your tongue is vulcanized and there's no hope for you. You have to appreciate nuance to get the most out of a wheat ale, but as I said before, you can't choose those made with a yeast that throws those cutting flavors - it has to be a straightup yeast such as would be used with a clean barley beer - Chico strain or something like that. A lager yeast would make it even cleaner, that would be very good indeed.
sixela
QUOTE (Nate @ Jan 30 2005, 04:06 AM)
No wheat beer is complete without lemon. abs-cheers.gif

That has been a religious issue dividing beer drinkers in two camps over here since Celis started making the Hoegaarden (before he sold out ot the Evil Empire and left for the 'States).

And for the record, draught Hoegaarden in Belgium from those days was nothing like the bottled stuff you get from the Evil Empire now.
Absomphe
Of course not.

Pierre Celis has been through at least 2 breweries since those halcyon days.
Jack Batemaster
Hoegaarden is now brewed in Canadia?
Brett
If it is brewed up here, I've not seen it.

My Hoegaarden comes from Belgium, and my Lowenbrau from Germany.
bexclent
I have found that an orange works well in blue moon and a lemon in just about every other wheat beer.

But I also enjoy them alll without any additives...It depends on the mood and the place...If I don't have a lemon, i'll drink it anyways!!!

I tried some Xingu Black beer from Brazil tonight and found it to be very good. It had almost no smell to it at all, but the flavor was along the lines of a Pilsner Urchel. I drank all 6 of em, and they went down nicely!!!
justabob
Very seldom drink beer. I love wine with food, and I love to cook.

I generally will have one absinthe or one martini,"shaken not stirred", with two olives or one whiskey of some kind with my cigar at the end of the day.
Jaded Prole
I rarely drink beer as it drags me down. A nice drink or 3 in the evening is the norm, absinthe that is. I'm really liking the Edouard but my favorite; well I just can't say.
Breson
I gave up beer. My drinking has settled intoa seasonal pattern. Martinis in the spring and summer and Bourbon in the fall and winter. And of course absinthe year round
bexclent
Gin martini or vodka?
Icarus
Traditionally in the US a Martini is gin. A vodka Martini is vodka.

Anyone that tells you different is wrong.
Barsnake
found a tasty cocktail recipe the other day - looking for something for St. Patrick's day

Irish Fix

1/2 oz simple syrup
2 oz irish whiskey - i like Bushmills
1/2 oz lemon juice
over crushed ice
a float of irish mist
garnish with 1/2 lemon slice & 1/2 orange slice...

pretty tasty!
Brett
QUOTE (Icarus @ Mar 16 2005, 05:06 PM)
Traditionally in the US a Martini is gin. A vodka Martini is vodka.

Anyone that tells you different is wrong.

You can do both you know....

I've posted it here before, and I'll do it again.

The Vesper Lynd
3 measures Gordons gin
1 measure vodka
1/2 measure Kina Lillet
Shake until ice cold, garnish with thin slice of lemon peel.
Breson
QUOTE (bexclent @ Mar 16 2005, 04:53 PM)
Gin martini or vodka?

Vodka Martini. To be most specific, a grey goose dirty martini with onions and olives. Kind of like a salad with a buzz
Icarus
I had a slightly dirty Ciroc Martini the other day... it was quite good.
bexclent
My favorite is a straight up (2:1) Bombay Saphire with a lime twist.

I've never tried the onions in one. I will do that next time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.