Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amelie
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Pages: 1, 2
Artemis
It's a French movie. Saw it last week. Glorious. A stealth masterpiece. Everyone must watch this movie.

Alien vs. Predator isn't too bad either, in a totally different sphere, cinematically speaking.

Watched Kurosawa's Dreams again, too - it wasn't as good as I remembered. The peach orchard dream, I had forgotten completely - that's a good one. The Van Gogh dream was as I remembered it, worth the price of admission by itself.
Kirk
Yeah, I heard he lost money on dreams. What a beautiful masterpiece.
I joined a movie club called spiritual circle cinema, They send you 3 movies a month and you can keep them. That's how all the movie clubs should be, why send back a 25 cent piece of plastic?
Pataphysician
Sheesh, Artemis, that was a huge hit a few years ago. Not that I should cast stones, I just got around to seeing "Les Enfants du Paradis" after its been out for 60 years. Damn fine script by the Surrealist, Jacques Prevert.

Speaking of Van Gogh, have you ever seen the film Robert Altman made for BBC-TV, "Vincent and Theo"? They hacked it up pretty badly for general release (I think it's on VHS only) but it's still the definitive Van Gogh movie. Plenty of Absinthe swilling, too.

The new "Dawn of the Dead" is delightful.
Patlow
EDIT. someone beat me to it. great movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112682/
Pataphysician
Nope, different movie, this is the one I'm talking about:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037674/

Not as outwardly "surrealistic", but some of Baptiste's dialogue on dreams and waking life could have come straight out of the "Surrealist Manifesto" or "Communicating Vessels".
Artemis
Yeah I know I'm a little slow on these things - after all I announced what a great video "Heya" was and people who had seen it a year before laughed at me - I don't go to the movies, either. I do belong to Netflix and it's one of the best things that's come into my life. If you go to their website to join up, don't settle for the asking price. Erase any cookies they set and connect again - eventually you'll get a "special introductory" rate, which for me, was about five bucks less than the asking price. You get to keep three movies as long as you want, and they send you what's at the top of your que as soon as you return one (they pay all postage).

I haven't seen Vincent and Theo. I liked Kirk Douglas's performance as Vincent and I'm a little leary of seeing anyone else in that role.

Kirk has a point, but I don't see it happening soon. One thing about Netflix, if you get a cracked disc, or it doesn't play, they send you another one no questions asked.

At the top of my que now is "Shaun of the Dead", which I understand is a hoot, drawing from all the zombie movies of all time. I like me some zombie movies.
Pataphysician
Aye! All hail Netflix!

You've gotta see "Vincent & Theo". Tim Roth plays Vincent. I love Kirk Douglas and I love the Van Gogh story, but "Lust for Life" is, uh, how shall I say, too much of a good thing. Tim Roth is more complex and more believable than Kirk Douglas. "Lust" is great high melodrama, but "Vincent" is the straight story beautifully told. It was essentially a "made for TV", but for the BBC and by Robert Altman. Like I say, they butchered it some for VHS release, I hope some day the whole thing comes out on DVD. I found it at the local video rental. If you can't find it, I heartily recommend buying it on Amazon.
Patlow
QUOTE (Pataphysician @ Feb 5 2005, 10:09 AM)
Nope, different movie

oh. cool. well, city of lost children is a great flick too from the makers of amelie.
Artemis
City is a little hard to take - I like the beautiful ugliness, but it's, well, a little hard to take. Nothing dark about Amelie - it makes you wish there were so many interesting people in your own life, or makes you wonder if there are, and you just don't realize it .......
Pataphysician
...or it reinforces my suspicion that "the marvelous" in everyday life only happens in Paris.

Here's a French classic you gotta see, I think it's only just now available on DVD. (Hell, it was banned in France for decades and only had it's first showing in the U.S. in 1979.) No matter what you think of it, stay tuned for the final scene, I guarantee a big pay-off for you in particular, Artemis:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021577/

Patlow
this is my favorite. i think a very underrated truffaut flick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064990/
Artemis
...or it reinforces my suspicion that "the marvelous" in everyday life only happens in Paris.

w00t2.gif

Yes, I was watching that and thinking "does magickal stuff only happen in France or something?"

Or maybe only in the movies ...

And damned few movies, at that.
thegreenimp
Finally, after several years of being unavailable in the U.S., CBS/ Sony released the directors cut of Betty Blue in Oct.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090563/

for several years the only way to see Betty Blue was to get a French DVD, and play through a hacked, or region free player. (Thankfully those Apex 1500's were so easy to hack)
Pataphysician
Artemis,

I'm serious about "L'Age D'Or". I just returned it to Netflix so it's all yours. You'll dig the ending.
Steve
Amélie is one of my all-time favorite films. I am a big fan of Audrey Tautou, and have been seeking out all her other films. "Happenstance" was great- I watched it on my laptop on the plane. "Dirty Pretty Things" (in English!) was really good (but darker than her other films). Also "L'auberge espanole" (she didn't have a huge part in that one). I have several other of her movies that I haven't watched yet.
weredonkey
this is a great movie.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060959/

saw it at an underground cinema in my town, some kids would project movies onto the side of an abandoned building. then they disappeared.
Head_prosthesis
Sure Amelie was cute and all,
but seeing a nubile young girl
crawl around on all fours
in the sand
with feathers sticking out of her asshole

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135024/

...now that's seminal.

Conju
QUOTE (Artemis @ Feb 5 2005, 09:24 AM)
At the top of my que now is "Shaun of the Dead", which I understand is a hoot, drawing from all the zombie movies of all time. I like me some zombie movies.

Interesting note: I have an irrational fear of zombies, but I enjoy zombie movies. It doesn't make sense, psychologically.
Gertz
Makes perfect sense to me. I have an (ir?)rational fear of dentists and enjoyed Marathon Man and Little Shop of Horrors.
Artemis
QUOTE (Pataphysician @ Feb 6 2005, 09:00 AM)
I'm serious about "L'Age D'Or". I just returned it to Netflix so it's all yours.

It's now at the top of my que.

L'Age D'Or
Shaun of the Dead
The Village
The Passion of the Christ
Ray
Napoleon Dynamite
A Clockwork Orange
Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense
Natural Born Killers
My Mother's Castle
Like Water for Chocolate
Whale Rider
The Red Violin
Jethro Tull: New Day Yesterday
Depeche Mode: The Exciter Tour
The Bourne Supremacy
Metropolis

I watched the "restored" Exorcist a few days ago. I had never seen this movie except just after release, in a Japanese cinema. Stunning wouldn't be going over the top to describe it. I especially liked the famous subliminal images.

"Tree's Lounge", starring Mr. Pink (Steve Buscemi) - he directed it too and his brother is in it - is worth watching.

Monsoon Wedding is cool.
Artemis
Who can resist Une vraie jeune fille? I added that one to my cue. They didn't have Sedimansky. Considered Une chien Andalou but the description didn't make it sound too appealing.
Kirk
When I read that all I was thinking of the razor scene in the Andaluvian Dog.
Artemis
That and the ants crawling around on a hand with a hole in it. Goes to show if you watch enough movies, you find out where things were ripped off that you thought were original - the ear in the grass in Blue Velvet
Donnie Darko
Amelie is exquisite. I wouldn't change a frame of it. I could watch it a hundred times and not get tired of it.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet gave a lecture at the American Museum of the Moving Image in Brooklyn a few weeks ago, after he screened his new film "A Very Long Engagement", starring Audrey Tatou and Jodie Foster.

The director told this funny story, where he and Jodie Foster recently had lunch at the cafe featured in Amelie, which is now a very popular tourist attraction. They were standing outside the entrance talking after lunch, when some tourist walked up and shooed them out of the way so they could take a picture of the Amelie cafe.
DenSetsu
Shaun of the Dead is an excellent movie, I can't begin to describe how many times in the movie I thought to myself "That's exactly what I'd do!" In fact George Romero loved the movie so much he cast the 2 main guys as zombie cameos in his upcoming Land of the Dead movie, which I'm at the edge of my seat in anticipation for. I'm a zombie movie nut as well.
Patlow
QUOTE (Artemis @ Feb 6 2005, 10:39 AM)
Goes to show if you watch enough movies, you find out where things were ripped off that you thought were original...

i had a girlfriend last year in france who was an art director for a company that made tv commercials. she was the ultimate movie buff, film school nerd, etc.

she showed me so many OLD movies and i couldn't believe all the rip-offs going on. it's totally out of control.

by the way, i rented amelie tonight becuase you made me think i should rewatch it b/c i remember not liking it too much when it came out. i'm giving it another chance in about an hour.
Artemis
Well, it's a girly movie, people should be aware of that before renting it. It's a love story after all, but it's a Buddha's way of loving.
Donnie Darko
I must be a girl.
Absomphe
Hence the new avatar, like I've been saying.
Absinthe-Curious
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Feb 7 2005, 07:15 AM)
Amelie is exquisite. I wouldn't change a frame of it. I could watch it a hundred times and not get tired of it.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet gave a lecture at the American Museum of the Moving Image in Brooklyn a few weeks ago, after he screened his new film "A Very Long Engagement", starring Audrey Tatou and Jodie Foster.

The director told this funny story, where he and Jodie Foster recently had lunch at the cafe featured in Amelie, which is now a very popular tourist attraction. They were standing outside the entrance talking after lunch, when some tourist walked up and shooed them out of the way so they could take a picture of the Amelie cafe.

Anyone seen Jeunet's newest creation yet?

"A Very Long Engagement"

I've seen the trailer and it looks every bit as beautiful as amelie, with the additional power of a WWI setting.
I was going to see it with a girl, but. Well.

I'll have to watch it some other time.
Donnie Darko
I saw it. Not as good as Amelie, as the plot is convoluted and the writing is a little disjointed (and the subtitle translation is waaaay off at times), but beautifully photographed and there's some amazingly cool scenarios that make you say "wow". The ending may disappoint some, but I thought it was a reasonable way to end the film.
celticgent
amelie is one of my favorites.

but many of you know that i'm shemale anyhow.
Donnie Darko
While I was watching it with the lady last night for VD, I just couldn't get your mangina out of my head. shock.gif
celticgent
well, it is pretty lucious.

so i don't blame you.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Feb 15 2005, 10:46 AM)
While I was watching it with the lady last night for VD, I just couldn't get your mangina out of my head. shock.gif

You mean, if you agreed to watch it with her, she agreed to give you VD? shock.gif
Nymphadora
Top of my list:

Amelie

Hedwig & The Angry Inch

Freaks

A Clockwork Orange

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Absomphe
So, can I safely assume that you don't consider yourself a bastion of the mainstream? wink.gif
hartsmar
Went to the café in Montmartre where they did some of that movie. The coffee was almost ok.

Brotherhood of the Wolves is a good movie. I also like Crying Freeman where Mark Dacascos does some prett slick stunts. Many of them without trick filming...
Nymphadora
So, can I safely assume that you don't consider yourself a bastion of the mainstream?

Mainstream 'pearls' exist. I laughed myself silly over "Saving Silverman" and happily munched popcorn through "Dawn of the Dead".
Fredie
flipping around through the infomercials on Cable at 2 am the other night....
came across the Red Ballon just starting.....
...took me back to when they used to show it in Elementary school......
Couldn't stop watching it..... kept looking for how they were controlling the ballon's movements..... couldn't see a string..... SO well filmed..... Masterpiece of the time.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Jan 29 2006, 10:31 AM) *

Went to the café in Montmartre where they did some of that movie. The coffee was almost ok.

Apparently that café is quite the tourist destination. A friend of mine works for Jean Pierre-Jeunet (the director of Amelie) and he told me a funny story. Jeunet was meeting at that café with Jodie Foster to discuss her role in his last film "A Very Long Engagement", and after their meal they were standing outside chatting. There was a woman outside with a camera, and she rudely told them to get out of the way so she could take a picture of the café.
Head_prosthesis
I laughed myself silly through "Saving Silverman" too.

Just ask Uncle. When we left the theater I said something
like "Wow, that movie wasn't very funny at all.
I guess I just needed to laugh."

Then we went to Chin Kee Buffet for all you can eat crab legs.
Wild Bill Turkey
My brother bluffed his way into seats at the graduation ceremony at Brown one year, by ousting some parents out of their rightful seats with some bullshit story and an attitude. After the ceremony, a friend of his came up to him and said "Hey man, I got a picture of you kicking Steven Spielberg out of his seat!! What did you say to him??

Sure enough, My brother now has a picture of himself rudely ejecting Spielberg from his seat at his own daughter's graduation. He just hadn't recognized him at the time.
Head_prosthesis
Damn!

You and Crosby always got the better showbiz stories.
Fredie
Oh,I dont know...... wink.gif
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fvinson42/al...r=/4f9d&.view=t
Wild Bill Turkey
You're saying we should sign up for Yahoo photo-sharing?
Fredie
blink.gif
celticgent
fear fredie's mullet.
Head_prosthesis
I like the "caught off guard" look most of them have.
Fredie
More like fear Fredie...
Don't think I ever actually had a mullet....
well, a bit with Lemmy there... blame my girlfriend's sister.... who thought she was a hairdresser.....
The things we do for pussy. cheekkiss.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.