Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scoresheets please!
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Oxygenee
I've noticed several comments here along the lines of "I'm too new/inexperienced to rate it properly, but this is what I think of the new Jade Edouard".

Nonsense! Anyone can submit a scoresheet. One of the advantages of the system is that it provides a framework for even a novice to meaningfully rate a particular absinthe.

The aim is for the Buyers Guide scores to reflect a consensus position, based on many scoresheets, rather than just the judgement of a handful of experts.

You can post your scoresheet results online here on the Forum, or you can email them to me. I can keep your evaluation entirely anonymous if you prefer. The more I receive, from all classes of tasters, the more accurate and meaningful the overall results will be.

So please, don't hold back. Evaluate the new Jade Edouard (and of course Tuivel's Montmartre, and the spate of new La Bleues, and Phil's latest offerings, and whatever else you are drinking) in terms of the new scoresheet. Post the results here. Alternatively email them directly to me.

As soon as we start to build up a meaningful database of results, I'll start to post a regular league table of the highest scoring absinthes. At the moment only two have been properly rated:

Jade Nouvelle Orleans:84
La Fee: 63

If you haven't already downloaded it, here is the full scoresheet:
hartsmar
Oxy, how about using the score on other sites? ie I rate the Edouard using the FeeVerte scoresheet, and post the result here. I would then want to post the score along with a link here, with my other "regular" review and reference guide at my site... Something along the line of "FeeVerte.net score sheet result: XX pts"

No problemo?

Oxygenee
Of course, absolutely no problem - in fact the whole idea is to work towards the Fee Verte scoring system becoming the de facto industry standard.
Oxygenee
For those who want to email me their scores as an MS Word attachment, here is the basic scoresheet in Word format:
hartsmar
Great, since this was a thing I was planning on starting on... tonight... He he.

Edit: The league of highest scoring absinthes, would that be an average of all collected ranks on each absinthe? For instance if three people rank the Jade Nouvelle-Orléans, at 78, 83 and 92 points. Would the rank presented in the list be the average of those three (84)?
Oxygenee
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Mar 2 2005, 05:04 PM)
The league of highest scoring absinthes, would that be an average of all collected ranks on each absinthe? For instance if three people rank the Jade Nouvelle-Orléans, at 78, 83 and 92 points. Would the rank presented in the list be the average of those three (84)?

Yes, that is in principle exactly how it would work.

In very rare cases I might exclude a particular scoresheet if it seems completely out of line with the broad consensus: eg if a particular absinthe attracts ratings in the 60 to 80 range, with an average of 70 points, I might exclude a scoresheet giving it 30 points, or 99 points. The reason for this is not to distort the average score with ratings that are frivolous, or obviously motivated by a personal agenda.
hartsmar
Naturally.

Great!
Absomphe
O.K. here goes...

Jade Edouard

Color before water... clear, very vivid but completely natural green - 10.

Louche Action...the louche is slow and steady, not too extreme, near perfect - 9.

Color after water...A good deal of the vivid green is retained after louching, The final product is a pale minty green color that resembles some of the finer renderings of quality pre-ban absinthes - 9.

Aroma...neat...green anise is the most obvious scent, with wormwood in the background. There is a bit of a "burnt" background, as well, though some less evident than it is in the Jade Verte Suisse. I don't find this a major detraction, however. To me, it gives the Edouard almost an "aged" character, and it is by no means obtrusive - 12.

...louched...the burnt quality fades completely, and the aroma opens up to reveal a complex melange of anise, fennel and hyssop, the overall impression is "floral baby powder" that fills a room. Very appetizing! - 14.

Overall aroma score - 23.

Mouthfeel...this is perhaps the best aspect of the Edouard. It is velvety, rich, and mouth-coating.
Absolutely wonderful - 10.

Taste... Anise is dominant, as expected, but this is no anise-bomb. There is plenty of fennel, which imparts a very subtle fruitiness, and even more quality hyssop that gives the Edouard a lively, "baby powder" finish, which blends perfectly with the underpinning of minty wormword. This continues into a VERY long, savory finish that compells one to start the sipping process all over again. For me, this is a nearly perfect flavor, marred only very slightly by a wee bit of a burnt component that has carried over from the aroma - 19.

Overall impression...this Edouard is not too far from flawless, except for the aforementioned VERY SLIGHT burnt characteristic. It is, without doubt, my favorite commercial absinthe, to date - 9.

Total Score...92.
Oxygenee
Great, thanks Absomphe.

Keep 'em coming....and not just Edouard, but anything else you're tasting at the moment, good or bad.
Absomphe
Your quite welcome, Oxy!

The only other absinthe I'm presently tasting is the Nouvelle Orleans, so I'll give that a go...

Color Before Water...A deep green that also has a bluish tinge. Not as vivid as the Edouard, it is a nice, rich color, but I find the bluish tone to be a little odd - 8.

Louche Action...slow and steady, a good louche, a very good louche, but not superlative - 8.

Color After Water...Pale bluish green, nice, but as in the case of the pre-louche, I would have preferred to see a more vivid green tone - 8.

Aroma (neat)...Very interesting and different nose, which reminds me of Old Bay meets a spicy Christmas Ale. There is an element of funk, which tends to clear up as the absinthe "breathes". This gets points for creativity, and originality, but as with the flavor, how much I enjoy it depends upon my mood - 10.

Aroma (louched)...Very similar to the neat scent, except that it opens up nicely, and becomes more rounded and appealing. No funk present - 12.

Mouthfeel...substantial, but not as rich and mouthcoating as the Edouard. Still, very nice body, more silky than velvety - 8.

Taste...the Old Bay/Christmas ale aspect carries over into the flavor. Plenty of fennel, and a decent helping of anise, but the wormwood is much more subtle than it is in the Edouard, or the Verte Suisse, so there is less of that dry mintiness in the finish. The "baby powder" flavor is also more muted here, and while the flavor is savory and interesting, there isn't the same compelling urge to go on to the next sip, unless I'm particularly in the mood for this unique flavor - 16.

Overall Impression...Definitely a one-of-a-kind absinthe, which is well crafted, and desrves points for originality. Not my favorite, but when I'm in the mood, it satisfies a flavor niche that no other absinthe can quite fill - 7.

Total...77.
sixela
QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Mar 2 2005, 04:58 PM)
For those who want to email me their scores as an MS Word attachment, here is the basic scoresheet in Word format:

Silly, you can't attach anything to emails through this site (though it's not hard to find your email address in the Virtual Absinthe Museum, of course).

Coming in your mail, the three sisters.

Summary:

Jade NO: 76
Jade VdS, aged sufficiently: 88
Jade Edouard: 93

Your system is a bit harsh on the NO, though: it's idiosyncratic and the colour and louche are what makes it lose points, but I still think it's very good and at times prefer it over the VdS (when I'm in the mood for it).

If you'd have asked me months ago, though, it would have beaten the VdS on taste and aroma, because that VdS distiller's proof was very young with very overpowering green anise.

Same thing in reverse for the Edouard: given its colour, it takes top honours easily over the others, even though I can understand someone liking the more 'masculine' character of the VdS.
Absomphe
I think the Edouard manges to be very "masculine" and "feminine", at the same time.

There is even more of that wormwood goodness that comes through in the finish, as well as that talc-like hyssop thing...it is by no means as soft and smooth as the NO.

However, everything is so rounded and balanced that it has a great deal of finesse, even young.

I sure hope it ages well, at which point I'll most likely bankrupt myself.
DenSetsu
I'm already planning on doing that myself abs-cheers.gif
Oxygenee
QUOTE (sixela @ Mar 2 2005, 07:13 PM)
Silly, you can't attach anything to emails through this site (though it's not hard to find your email address in the Virtual Absinthe Museum, of course).

Coming in your mail, the three sisters.

Summary:

Jade NO: 76
Jade VdS, aged sufficiently: 88
Jade Edouard: 93

Got them. Thanks Sixela!

For those who don't already have it:

To email me directly, use:
info@oxygenee.com
Rimbaud
user posted image
sixela
Weel, that man doesn't look at all like the VdS should look like - that VdS is no French intellectual leftie wimp. That actress would probably be OK as Jade Edouard, though the role is out of character: that Jade Edouard's style isn't exactly that of a ye-ye singer (that's more something for the Jade NO).
Absomphe
That "guy" should be representative of the Jade NO.

I'll bet she could kick his effete little can-can.
hartsmar
Well, guess I'll just have to throw in a little something on the Montmartre then.

Absinthe Montmartre 65 (Premiere Edition):

Color before water: 7 (10)
Slightly hazed and not as clear as might be expected. Nice dark green color though.

Louche action: 6 (10)
Slowly appearing, with very nice oily patterns during louching. holds a fine clear layer on top until finished. A slight deduction in points for ending up a bit thin.

Color after water: 8 (10)
Still a very nice green - not as dark. Could be a bit lighter to be perfect, but doesn't present the overly neon green louche presented in some others.

Aroma: 22 (30)
A very heavy and complex aroma before adding water. Slightly grassy, but this could also be partly due to the many "special" ingredients.
After adding water it literally fills the room with it's herbal scents. Very nice.

Mouth-feel: 7 (10)
It presents a nice rich and full mouth-feel. Smooth and very interesting, yet slightly flat in the end.

Taste: 14 (20)
A very nice, herbal taste and in a way a bit spicy. It might do good from blending just a bit better, but it's very good. Some grassy notes can be detected, but not enough to make it the least bit bad.

Overall impression: 7 (10)
It does need some work to make it perfect and let the flavours blend a bit better. Understandably it's not easy to get an absinthe with all those ingredients to be perfect on the first run. The Montmartre is a very good absinthe.

Total score: 71 (100)
Absomphe
Very nice review, as per usual, Hartsmar!

I'm sure I'll purchase a bottle in the near future, perhaps when Tuivel's tinkered with the recipe a bit.
Artemis
Veritable Fee Verte Kubler 53

COLOR BEFORE WATER 10
It's clear. Don't see how else I can rate it. Can't give it zero because there's no failure involved. Can't give it ten because it's easy to do - just do nothing and keep debris out of it. Ten seems more fair than zero. So be it.
LOUCHE ACTION 5
Attractive louche action, nothing special about it, nothing wrong with it.
COLOR AFTER WATER 6
Steely white color, typical of La Bleue, but no blue nuance to speak of.
AROMA 23
Good clean anise aroma, not complex, but absolutely no faults.
MOUTH-FEEL 10
The best thing about this absinthe. Velvet, creamy, soft.
TASTE 18
Tastes better than it smells, a rarity. Simple refreshing taste.
OVERALL IMPRESSION 9
I like this very much, but is it absinthe? It's hard to tell if there's wormwood in it.
TOTAL 81

Artemis
Doubs Premium Absinthe

COLOR BEFORE WATER 3
I'm forced to penalize it in accordance with the instructions, because it looks fake, but I like it - a beautiful emerald shade.
LOUCHE ACTION 9
Strong milkiness grows from the bottom very nicely.
COLOR AFTER WATER 7
Can't say it has complexity or nuance, but it's opaque and attractive.
AROMA 27
This absinthe smells like no other I've ever had. The smell won't be to everyone's liking. Medicinal? Tonic? I find it refreshing and I like it.
MOUTH-FEEL 8
Somewhat thin and dry, but that's in keeping with the gin-like botanical nuances.
TASTE 18
It tastes like it smells. Again, it won't be to everyone's taste, but there's no way I can fault it - it's not deficient in any way; it's just different. An anise candy this one is NOT! I found it very foreign at the first glass, but it quickly grew on me.
OVERALL IMPRESSION 9
It seems to be a mixed absinthe with artificial color. That said, it's the best of its type I've had.
TOTAL 81

Perruche_verte
Interesting. Is Doubs now in "international" distribution (i.e., to the U.S.)?
Artemis
Some more words are in order about the Doubs Premium. This is a triumph of marketing. As they say on TV "it comes with everything you see here" -
a spoon, thin and flat of course, but with an interesting design (I particularly like the New Orleans Saints emblem), a small glass (a mominette), and the glass is filled with sugar lumps.

Unfortunately the glass arrived with base broken off, but some Gorilla Glue took care of that.

The box features a lanquid green fairy, a "Banned in 1914" stamp, and some truly scary recipes, including one where you set a slice of apple atop the drink, and set the APPLE on fire! And douse it with cinnamon.

I have to admit there are couple of drinks that sound appealing, though, including one with lemon soda.

These marketing gimmicks won't be to the taste of the snobs, but this is smart packaging. Unfortunately they give that burning sugar garbage some play, but side by side with the traditional method.

I fully expected not to like this stuff, but I do. I also like the mominette - with a one-ounce shot of absinthe, filled to the top with water, I find it perfect for this particular drink (55% alcohol).

I seem to remember discussion of this stuff about a year ago - it comes from ?Africa blink.gif ?

It must be noted that this was a free sample, but in no way does that influence my opinion.

Artemis
Louched Doubs Premium

Artemis
Greenman was watching (next frame - why can't you edit a post to include an attachment?)

Deluge
Yes, it is from South Africa... I am sure Oxy will have more to say about this one!
Artemis
Voila

Deluge
That's a really cool pic Artemis! abs-cheers.gif
Oxygenee
Thanks as always for the reviews Artemis. The high score for the Doubs absinthe validates why I think it's important not to evaluate oil-mix absinthes separately from distilled ones - if it tastes and smells good, it's a good absinthe, regardless of the method of manufacture.

Absinthe Doubs was developed by a very dynamic South African company called Thirsty Now. They specialize in innovative liquor products, usually in the "happening" end of the market - wine coolers etc - for both the local and export markets. I helped them with some of the historical backgrounders and press releases for their initial launch, and also had some small input in the formulation of the product.

The absinthe has been successful locally, where it's targeted at the club and bar market, and sells for around $15 per bottle. They are also developing export markets, initially I believe focussed on Australia and the Far East.
hartsmar
Nice work Artemis!

So, the Doubs is actually ok!? That is one that I've been meaning to try and get hold of for a while. I think I'll have to locate a bottle... Sounds interesting.

Artemis
At $15 a bottle, I'd drink gallons of it. Unfortunately, that's not the cost for anyone in the U.S.
hartsmar
Guess I'll have to move on with another one then.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the scores for Lemercier Abisinthe 72 Amer:

Color before water: 6 (10)
Very pale yellowish green. Natural but as said, a little too pale.

Louche action: 7 (10)
Nothing very unusual, but I noticed that the slow drip produced wonderful oily trails in the absinthe. That pulled out a very fine louching effect.

Color after water: 7 (10)
Color improves and is a bit more green now. Still natural looking, and actually quite appealing.

Aroma: 21 (30)
Before adding water, there's really nothing to it. Nothing bad but nothing out of the ordinary either. Wormwood and fennel can be detected, but they don't blend into anything special. After adding water, the aroma improves quite a bit. It's more pronounced and presents a bit more complex herbal mixture. It doesn't reach the very top, though.

Mouth-feel: 5 (10)
At first it seems all right, then it turns very harsh on the tounge.

Taste: 15 (20)
It's a very nice drink, the wormwood is very much there, but it does get a bit too "spicy". The Amer 72 would benefit from a smoother more harmonious blend of the herbs. Still, it's nice.

Overall impression: 7 (10)
As said, a nice enough drink. Would benefit from some work...

TOTAL: 68 (100)

Personal note: This one really benefits from adding sugar to it. That presents a whole different drink. The mouth-feel and taste improves a lot. However, that shouldn't be needed if this was really a top quality absinthe. I enjoy it, but it must be with sugar.
Ari
In the more final, non post versions, how will the scores be organized?
sixela
Yup. Can't get a decent louche without adding (too much) star anise.

Still, 68 is a bit harsh, in my opinion. I don't think it's that bad, not much worse than un Emile 68 (and much better than the regular Abisinthe). That UE68 will also fail to score many marks, with the weights Oxy attributes to the visual...
hartsmar
The main thing I hold agains the Amer, which is also what deducts the points from me, is the mouth-feel and the harshness in the taste.
However, as I said - I find that to improve a whole lot with the addition of sugar.

Check my review at my own site, and you'll see...

It's a good absinthe, but those two aspects pulled the score down a couple of notches.

Edit: That could very well mean that the UE68 could land at the same, or more if I find the mouth-feel to be better... But it's louche is weaker...

I'll give that one a go later on.
Artemis
QUOTE (Ari @ Mar 5 2005, 06:03 AM)
In the more final, non post versions, how will the scores be organized?

That's being plotted even as we speak. Stay tuned to this bat channel.
Artemis
On a get-shit-faced on Friday evening note, I was looking for a bottle into which to transfer some Doubs for the opinion of a forum member, when I realized said bottle was already full. Of Jade VS. Even a blind flea finds a dog sometimes.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE (sixela @ Mar 4 2005, 02:04 PM)
...Still, 68 is a bit harsh, in my opinion...

Ya think so? What score do you think I'd give it?
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE (Artemis @ Mar 4 2005, 03:45 PM)
...Even a blind flea finds a dog sometimes.

I recently found an unopened bottle of Mata Hari that I forgot about. It remains unopened.
Artemis
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Mar 5 2005, 07:49 AM)

Who the fuck do we look like, Gypsy fortune tellers?

Get off your ass and score some, mighty Kong!
sixela
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Mar 5 2005, 12:13 AM)
The main thing I hold agains the Amer, which is also what deducts the points from me, is the mouth-feel and the harshness in the taste.

Yup. Too much stanise.gif .

On another note - I just drank a glass of NO, and I don't think there's that much wormwood presence. Then - burp - what is that smell in my nose? Wormwood!

Strange, strange,...
Artemis
It's not true that you can't get a thick louche without star anise. It is true that such a liquor is difficult to balance away from green anise.
sixela
QUOTE (Artemis @ Mar 5 2005, 01:55 AM)
It's not true that you can't get a thick louche without star anise.

Well, Lemercier can't. Same thing for the samples they're making for PhiL.

Can't be the process with use of individual plant distillates, because Paul Devoille is using the same process for the Verte de Fougerolles.
sixela
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Mar 5 2005, 01:49 AM)

A very low score - very deservedly so, from where you're standing.

Sadly, we're not all standing where you are.
sixela
Darn, that NO is not easy to judge and realy morphs on you. Yesterday I didn't like it that much, tonight,...

It's certainly become better than when it was young - though that's not what Jack seems to have experienced.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Mar 4 2005, 04:49 PM)

"Burnt" isn't a real number, so I'm not sure it would be a relevant score, anyway.

Absomphe
QUOTE (sixela @ Mar 4 2005, 04:53 PM)

On another note - I just drunk a glass of NO

That's some really odd sentence construction there, Mr. LAGN.

Unless you meant to say "drank".

I would bet that the smell in your nose is mucous combined with "Old Bay", masquerading as wormwood, and it's it time to cut yourself off. harhar.gif
sixela
Yeah - I drank, and I'm drunk. Strange -- those were only three glasses...
Absomphe
I only had two glasses of Edouard this afternoon, and neither one was Absomphesized.

Nonetheless, I've acquired a bit of a buzz...and there really is a wormwood (and fennel) aroma in my nose. abs-cheers.gif

Te amo, Edouard!
sixela
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Mar 5 2005, 02:37 AM)
Te amo, Edouard!

You meant "Ti amo", at least if you're not drunk. Plus you misspelled Tish.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.