Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: They Did Set it on Fire
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthe History
Artemis
I was going over Duplais, 1866 edition this morning, and found this:

"Il arrive souvent que les personnes couvertes d’esprit enflamme courent en appelant du secours."

Which is, roughly, "It frequently happens that people enveloped in flaming spirits run while screaming for help".

Obviously, Duplais had been to Czechoslovakia and witnessed firsthand the birth of the fire "ritual". This should settle the matter once and for all.
Absomphe
And to think that Hill only claimed Czech absinth dated to circa 1920.

Will his modesty never cease?
sixela
QUOTE (Artemis @ Mar 11 2005, 09:17 PM)
Which is, roughly, "It frequently happens that people enveloped in flaming spirits run while screaming for help".

Obviously, Duplais had been to Czechoslovakia and witnessed firsthand the birth of the fire "ritual". This should settle the matter once and for all.

I rather think it's something a bit more mundane - like people that are drunk, and smoke a bit too closely to a bottle of 68° spirit...
Artemis
He's actually talking about industrial safety. Jeez, two responses and my joke is already literalized into the gutter.
hartsmar
abs-cheers.gif

(No image here no more, since obviously Worth1000 don't like linking directly to their images...)
lautrec's cane
Who said they didn't have publicity stunts in
Bohemia? Maybe the immortal somnambulist,
Dr. Caligari, had a hand in it?
Absomphe
QUOTE (Artemis @ Mar 11 2005, 12:29 PM)
Jeez, two responses and my joke is already literalized into the gutter.

Oh, you were joking? biggrin.gif
Breson
So it isn't time to light my absinthe on fire? torch.gif
traineraz
No, first you have to pour it over your head.
Ari
I can see it now.
The traditional Bohemian flaming absinth body shot.
traineraz
abs-cheers.gif Bottoms up!

(for the Bohemian flaming absinth enema shot)
Breson
QUOTE (Artemis @ Mar 11 2005, 11:29 AM)
He's actually talking about industrial safety. Jeez, two responses and my joke is already literalized into the gutter.

This is the short bus for the comedy impaired
Rimbaud
QUOTE (Breson @ Mar 11 2005, 05:02 PM)
comedy impaired

Look directly above you for a perfect example of this.
Hiram
user posted image
Head_prosthesis

It's hard work I tell yah!
Barsnake
I didn't know that Richard Pryor was French!
traineraz
Cajun style, actually.
Artemis
Nice visuals.

Watch Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels to see what happens when high proof spirit and flame come together:

Tom: Rory Breaker?
Barfly Jack: Rory? Yeah I know Rory. He's not to be underestimated, you've got to look past the distinct facade. A few nights ago Rory's Roger iron rusted, so he has gone to the battle-cruiser to watch the end of a football game. Nobody is watching the custard so he has turned the channel over. A fat man's north opens and he wanders up and turns the Liza over. 'Now fuck off and watch it somewhere else.' Rory knows claret is imminent, but he doesn't want to miss the end of the game; so, calm as a coma, he stands and picks up a fire extinguisher and he walks straight past the jam rolls who are ready for action, then he plonks it outside the entrance. He then orders an Aristotle of the most ping pong tiddly in the nuclear sub and switches back to his footer. 'That's fucking it,' says the guy. 'That's fucking what' says Rory. Rory gobs out a mouthful of booze covering fatty; he flicks a flaming match into his bird's nest and the man lit up like a leaking gas pipe. Rory, unfazed, turned back to watch his game. His team won too. Four-nil.
Brett
Yea, but Artemis, how many people here will actually understand what that means?

Sure, they say they do....
harhar.gif
Artemis
A picture is worth a thousand words. Rent the movie.
AndrewT
I have a pretty fair idea what he's saying.

Of course, I cheated.
Absomphe
QUOTE (Rimbaud @ Mar 11 2005, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Breson @ Mar 11 2005, 05:02 PM)
comedy impaired

Look directly above you for a perfect example of this.

He IS a joke, so he doesn't need to be funny.
traineraz
QUOTE (AndrewT @ Mar 12 2005, 10:12 AM)
I have a pretty fair idea what he's saying.

Of course, I cheated.

Sounds like too much work, AT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.