Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Death in the Afternoon
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
precenphix
I'm sure many of you have tried one of these cocktails. To my tongue, it's extremely dry, which is to be expected. I used Jade Nouvelle Orleans as the shot of absinthe & a relatively cheap champagne to fill the rest of my flute.

Honestly, the taste isn't very good at all. It fades after 2 healthy pulls, but by then 3/4 of the flute is gone. My question here is (& flame away): is it just me, or do any secondaries you normaly feel go straight to your head, but fade more quickly?

Overall, a wretched cocktail. Something different, to be sure, but interesting results.

Not worth the end result in my opinion as it wastes great absinthe otherwise savored w/water & a spot of sugar.

Just wanted some feedback. Forgive me for not searching the archives for any previous posts...

ps. http://www.zebox.com/precenphix

see the 'absinthe rain dace' vid @ the bottom of the page. thought some of you might take interest in what one of my best experiences w/the drink thus far has been: my fiancé & I in the outskirts of hurricane Ivan after a glass or 2 of Jade Verte Suisse. Call it cheesy if you like...I had fun that night & had fun crafting this video.
lightsdownlow
Oh Ivan. Are you Florida? I got hit by Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne. My school's theater had its roof blown off, it was great. But the repairs aren't.
Perruche_verte
Yeah, I think Death in the Afternoon was just kind of an expensive, stylish way to get plastered, not really a tasty drink.
hartsmar
I served Death in the Afternoons as an alternative to only champagne, as the welcoming drink at my wedding reception. Those who tried it where sceptical, to say the least, but they where happy...
precenphix
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Mar 17 2005, 03:21 AM)
I served Death in the Afternoons as an alternative to only champagne, as the welcoming drink at my wedding reception. Those who tried it where sceptical, to say the least, but they where happy...

i can understand the skepticism, but i can relate to the "happy".

lightsdownlow: i'm in pennsylvania, which is what made getting hit w/Ivan so strange. we're not used to sustained 65+ mph winds around here.

it made for decent video, though...

le Gimp
I tried it with Taylor's Pink fizzywater. Taylor's is a bit sweet by itself, so it worked pretty well, although the color was really icky.

I might try a real champagne next time.

I like it enough to try it again.
Hiram
Try it with cheap champagne and cheap absinthe. Why waste the good stuff? That's what well drinks are for. Also, keep the champagne ratio the same as you would with water.

Also, try a Scotch Earthquake: just a splash of absinthe in a Scotch on the rocks. I love 'em.
hartsmar
I did mine with fairly cheap J.P Chenet Sparkling wine and Un Emile 68. Very drinkable, I say.
Absomphe
I'm with Green and Cloudy on this subject.

The only proper mixer for absinthe is water, which is why I don't stock the cheap stuff.
hartsmar
You only use what, Evian?

harhar.gif
Absomphe
Sorry to disappoint you, Mr. Saab Story, but I use 39 cent a gallon spring water from my local Haggen supermarket.

I know it's a real let down... harhar.gif
hartsmar
Awww... There goes my wet fantasies.

Oh well, I use tap water... Costs about $1.65 per 264 gallons...

Now if only the absinthes where THAT cheap!
brucer
I agree, a splash of absinthe in Sctoch n' Water is good too. I would only used blends, of course, not best malt.

Also, try adding a splash of absinthe to a Scotch and Drambuie, with one lump of ice. That is the original Rusty Nail recipe. The same for a Port and Brandy, a dash of absinthe helps.

Bruce
Patlow
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Mar 17 2005, 02:10 PM)
You only use what, Evian?

harhar.gif

i use evian to make icecubes. with any rocks drink, i think it makes a difference.

i like an ice cube in an absinthe on a warm day as well...
Absomphe
Thanks for gettin' my back, Mr. Nancyboy...

Did I say "gettin' my back"?...

Step away from the back... harhar.gif abs-cheers.gif
Patlow
f off, twat. i hadn't even read your other posts. and i recently switched to fiji water for ice cubes because it's cooler. evain is like so totally out now.

abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
Iwas drinkin' Fiji Water, in Manhattan, like, four years ago, you passe fop...

I was even watering my Belle Epoque la bleue with the stuff. harhar.gif
Grim
Oh yeah... is that the wun with killer thujonzes? the one that arrives wrapped in a used surgeon's glove, tied off with rapist's twine? abs-cheers.gif
scott001
Thanks to my location, I get my water from the creek out the back. It's free and it keeps you regular. Just got to be careful of the croc's.

You all make me laugh with your fairy tales about the 'green' fairy. Yeah, right. green absinthe. nono.gif

I have been enjoying the brown fairy ever since I discovered my free creek water.
Patlow
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Mar 18 2005, 04:53 PM)
Iwas drinkin' Fiji Water, in Manhattan, like, four years ago, you passe fop...

I was even watering my Belle Epoque la bleue with the stuff. harhar.gif

fiji water is simply the best. all other newer trendy waters don't match up. it tastes perfect. evain is only good out of a glass bottle and has to be ice cold. i could go on and on about hot brands of water everyone's tried but all i'm saying is fiji is the shit, four years ago or otherwise. and i was in manhattan four years ago! why didn't you find me and introduce me to absinthe then?

and i'm totally high on Sugar.gif right now so i can't taste anything anyway...
traineraz
What kind of glass do you use for your water? I find that, as with wine and absinthe, the right glass can really make or break the water.

Evian really needs to be served in a flute, in my experience. I'm not sure why -- most other waters are better in a broad-mouthed glass, like a brandy snifter -- but the way the flute presents Evian enhances the nose and perception of flavor significantly. A Swirl glass works pretty well, too.

Aquafina, on the other hand . . . try a Krazy Straw.
Absomphe
QUOTE (patlow1040 @ Mar 18 2005, 08:33 PM)
and i was in manhattan four years ago! why didn't you find me and introduce me to absinthe then?

Because Chrysippvs only stocked enough la bleue for ME , and I wasn't sharing, back then! harhar.gif
hartsmar
You are all soooo gay!

What is this?! Fab fucking five?!
Patlow
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Mar 19 2005, 12:49 AM)
You are all soooo gay!

What is this?! Fab fucking five?!

fuck you!

drugs, money, ho's and cloths-- all a nigga knows...
Brett
I've only ever used Henkell Trocken and Pernod. I actually thought it was rather good.

Maybe once I used some Veuve Cliquot and VdF, but if I did I can't remember it.
Patlow
i was going to make a mimosa to get rid of this awful hangover but decided in the spirit of this thread to try the death in the afternoon.

looks like hell. tastes worse. feels good.

N.O., Tattinger.
pierreverte
try a N.O. bloody mary next time...

Patlow
done and done. kind of weird... kind of good...

think i have to go to paris for work next month for like 3 days so you better get some rest now and sell your wife on the notion that you'll be out late and be completely useless the days that follow!
traineraz
I tried it first with Korbel Brut and Deva 70. It was tasty.

I then tried it with Eddie and Barefoot Bubbly. The BB was far too sweet, so it wasn't a good thing.
pierreverte
>think i have to go to paris for work next month for like 3 days so you better get some rest now and sell your wife on the notion that you'll be out late and be completely useless the days that follow!

zoiks! worst hangover i've had in years...
weredonkey
evian=naive

wonder why the water cost so much?
Gertz
Vintage Evian was bitter.
Greenmeanie
It tasted Burnt to me.
G&C
That's Burnt™.
Hiram
Bottled water is a load of horse shit.
traineraz
No, this is.

user posted image
Greenmeanie
QUOTE (Green & Cloudy @ Mar 26 2005, 11:46 AM)
That's Burnt™.

Sorry, my typewriter isn't from the CBS surplus store. No superscripting! harhar.gif
G&C
No special keyboard needed.

It's called Key Caps on a Mac OS9, Font Book in Mac OS 10.3 and Character Map in Windows.

Jackass™
Gertz
Brackets™ and capitals™ do the trick™ for me™.
traineraz
It's also called a word filter.

Type ( tm ) without the spaces™.
G&C
Indeed!™
lightsdownlow
beating a dead horse™
Lord Stanley

hmmm...whatever
Greenmeanie
Whatever™
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.