Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orientalism, Weird People and Other Problems
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
la mort tchèque
Since when I go to a chat room, people start discussing me or another newbie instead of the topic of discussion, derailing the topic, I would like to keep everything organized and located here. If somebody wants to say something, discuss pyschology and philosophy and what not, orientalism, etc., this should be the a place for intelligent discussion of problems. FREE up the other forums! Liberate them!
Hiram
What's wrong with orientalism? It's one of my favorite art movements.
Absomphe
I agree with Hiram, on this one...

A wonderful art movement.

I, myself, would like to understand the deterioration of Oriental art, after the 1920s-1930s...

I bet Chairman Meow could explicate better than most, if he weren't just a fading memory...
Lord Stanley
Noble idea to try and keep the threads on-topic but.....well, hartsmar has some Perigan for everyone who thinks this will actually work.
la mort tchèque
It is a beautiful movement in art but a sinister and very dark chapter in the history of thought. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/039...4145327-6269441 The first chapter of Orientalism by Edward Said is a prerequisite among comparative literature and thought classes through out the world. I am refering to Orientalism as in post-colonialist theory.

If art is to reflect we must reflect throughly on such pieces, what was behind them and ourselves.
Hiram
Wow, I never thought of it that way. I'm glad that never happened here.

user posted image
grey boy
I'm drinking some absinthe right now,
it's very good.
Absomphe
Sounds like you're happy as a clam. abs-cheers.gif
hartsmar
sleepy.gif
justabob
QUOTE (grey boy @ Mar 18 2005, 09:04 PM)
I'm drinking some absinthe right now,
it's very good.

What is this absinthe you speak of?
Grim
Oh... nothing in particular.... just some stuff he was planning on sending me, seeing as how it's the only way he can reassure himself that I WOn'T BE AlL OVeR hiS ASS at LCLF!
grey boy
looking-up.gif shock.gif
hartsmar
Speaking about clams...
Does VHS-tape ring any bells?

blink.gif
grey boy
Yes, Monday.
I found another tape on the subject that you may be interested in.
hartsmar
Does it involve kittens?
grey boy
Yes.
traineraz
Stop, you're making me hungry.
Absomphe
Funny, you don't LOOK Oriental.
la mort tchèque
I would like to apologize for my crazy behavoir the last few days. Apparently what I mistook sexist mysogynist and racist insults were really jokes. So, my long attempts to explain that I don't appreciate such insults and the subsequent immature inappopriate insults were misplaced. I am not used to the frankness of internet forums even though as a job, I work with the internet. Okay, the status of internet policy in certain areas. However, the forums in those areas are different. Also, I am not from Saudi Arabia, but another country on the same Pennisula. I said Saudia since its the closest to my actual self.

A lot of things I found were profoundly insulting were actually meant to be humourous. So I apologize for my completely childish and unwarranted behavoir.

I think I need to head to the library and study your culture more.

More importantly, I think I need to develop a sense of humour.

Sorry again.
Hiram
You'll find that among a lot of people like us that it's often so taken for granted that we're well-educated and non-bigoted enough that it makes it all the more hilarious to go for the forbidden humor. It's the irony we're after. Sometimes we miss the mark.
la mort tchèque
That's good to know. I exploded like a bomb and I have never ever seen myself like that. I actually decided to intake some wine and started these two postings and realized what I did. Since I am actually from the Arabian Pennisula I take your joke seriously and if you were serious you have no idea the horrific implications of what are saying. Therefore, knowing that you are not serious, its funny and ironic. I am just the one who is not getting the jokes.

Sorry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.