Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Blackjack
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Mr. Creepy's Art Hole
Artemis
Do those "swords" in the BudK catalog (I assume you're familiar) have sharpened edges?

To quote Frank Zappa, is it a real poncho? I mean, is it a Mexican poncho or a Sears poncho?

I asked them why certain items in their catalog are prohibited for shipping to certain states, and the answer I got was that some states prohibit a razor edge, etc. etc.. I went DUH! A sword by definition has a razor edge - don't all your "swords" have that? I didn't get a response to that one.
bexclent
I can't answer your question on the BudK swords, but thought you may be interested in this site:

www.museumreplicas.com

They offer some really unusual stuff. I haven't bought any iron work from them, but the quality of the clothing that I got from them was top shelf.
Artemis
Thanks, but that won't help. I'm not even especially interested in swords - it's just that these people have a deal or two that sounds too good to be true, so something stinks. A sword that would have to be worked on for half a day to put an edge on it is pretty stinky at any price. I want it as a tool, not a wall hanging.
traineraz
Planning to do battle with the missus, since she stole your gun?
Head_prosthesis
Wall hangings (cheap, sharpened or otherwise)
don't usually make good tools.

Artemis
Gonna cut me some brush.

Slingblade is heavy and no picnic to swing.

Ninja sword seems like a good way to combine work with entertainment, if the sword is cheap but still cuts.

This is not rocket science.
Head_prosthesis
Then buy it,
put some sake on ice,
and spend the afternoon
putting an edge on the bad boy.
thegreenimp
I think I'd rather have this for yardwork.

Absomphe
Which one?
Breson
Da Club
You could really scare the shit out of the weeds with this
thegreenimp
If you have to ask...........
BlackJack
Some, but not all, of the items in their catalog are sharpened, and most of the ones made of steel could be sharpened to some extent. The main problem is that everything they sell is complete crap. The reasons the deals are too-good-to-be-true is that the stuff tends to be mass produced in third-world countries. They are made of whatever scrap steel is availible, and poorly heat-treated, if at all. The construction tends to be dangerously flimsy, with tack-welded rod-tangs and loose fittings. And anything made of stainless-steel (almost always) is too brittle at sword lengths.

Check this out:

http://www.atar.com/sword.mpa

In short, even if it is actually sharp, it SHOULDN'T be, because it would be dangerous to use. Or even swing around. Really. I'll post a picture of the tang from the "ninja sword" I got when I was 14. I could snap it with one hand.

If you want something to cut brush with, spend $10 on a machete from the harware store. They are designed for that.

Now, if _I_ were cutting brush, I'd get a nice Khukuri from [url=http://www.himalayan-imports.com/]Himalayan Imports[/i]. They aren't cheap, but they are indestructable. One model has a guarantee that if you break it, they'll give you TWO. Also, they guy who runs it is about the best I've ever dealt with. He's the only person who's ever sent me something BEFORE I sent him payment.
BlackJack
Oh, and the primary reason some stuff can't be shipped to some states is that some states (cough-California) have laws prohbiting sword-canes, throwing stars, and other silly things that nobody ever uses in crimes. As far as I know, it is perfectly legal to ship a sharpened sword to any state, as long as the carrier alows it.
Artemis
If you want something to cut brush with, spend $10 on a machete from the harware store. They are designed for that.

I already have something better than a machete - a cane knife (sugar cane), made in Brasil. The problem is, like a machete, it's not very long, meaning I'd have to get on my knees to use it. I've tackled this brush (mainly cat's paw vines) with everything from a powerful weedwhacker with blades in place of the nylon line, to the cane knife, the slingblade, pruning clippers and even fire. What I'm seeking is something sharp, long, and not too heavy.

I have considered some Khukuris; the shape seems well-suited, but again, they're fairly short.

Thanks for the info on BudK; that's what I suspected.
I'm aware of the differing regulations in different states, what didn't make sense to me is how those were applied in the catalog, i.e., a given item prohibited in a given state, but a different item with the same attributes (as apparent to me, anyway) not prohibited in that same state.
thegreenimp
http://pw1.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

A collectors forum I belong to, recomend this site for a look at the rather twisted laws.
BlackJack
Sword prices scale pretty much like handgun prices. You can get something passable for a couple of hundred dollars. For $600-$700, you can get something solid and reliable. For $6000, you can get a custom made work of art. But you don't want to take your chances with what you could get for $20, even just for messing around.
Artemis
Thanks, Blackjack.

That ATAR site is very interesting, very solid-looking stuff. Probably I'll forget about the sword.

I forgot to mention kamas. I have several, made in Japan, and those do have a razor edge. The shape is perfect - you grab the vine in one hand and pull the kama with the other. But again, you're cutting at waist height. These vines are only the thickness of a pencil, but the kama will cut through a one-inch softer vine (poison ivy, etc.) easily. As an all-purpose garden tool for close-in cutting, nothing can touch them.
BlackJack
The Atar site belongs to Dr. Jim Hrisoulas, one of the grand old men of kinfe- and sword-making. He wrote the book. Literally.

If you are interested in swords. the single best place for info is SwordForum. It is to swords what this place has been to absinthe.

Swords are designed to cut flesh and bone. While they can cut brush, they won't ever be as good as purpose-driven tools like the slingblade or kama. Although, there are more than a few medieval poll-arms which were essentially just farm implements. a ditch-bank blade is basically a medieval guisarme
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.