Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Easter Visitor
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Artemis
Actually she dropped by on Good Friday - expected she would resurrect today, but it's too cold I guess.
justabob
Farmers almanac sez a cold spring, and so far they have been right on. Still have snow on the ground here and I have only recently seen my first Robins and Cardinals at the feeders.

Today was a wonderous day in central Wisconsin, warm and sunny and teaming with wildlife.

Hope you all found your Easter eggs.
archangelica
Very pretty!
Kirk
The adult Luna lives for only 2 weeks,
The species go through two breeding cycles in the Northern states, three in the south.
This one overwintered in his cocoon, you can tell by the dark line at the leading edge of his wings.
They prefer Walnut, sweet gum and persimmon trees.
The Luna moth is considered by some to be a sign of transmutation and re-birth, a great thing to find on Easter!
Artemis
The adult Luna lives for only 2 weeks

I didn't know that. After it didn't budge from where we found it for two days, we took it inside to let it warm up after I took that picture. I just went and checked the shoebox - the good news is that it's empty - he has risen! The bad news is that there are cats in the house ....

a sign of transmutation and re-birth, a great thing to find on Easter!

biggrin.gif
Breson
God damn Kirk, pretty impressive insect knowledge.

Much better than my explanation, of "sure looks purty, this flying bug."
Kirk
QUOTE (Artemis @ Mar 28 2005, 10:57 AM)
the good news is that it's empty - he has risen! The bad news is that there are cats in the house ....

I wouldn't worry too much about it,
they reproduce in huge numbers, we just don't usually see them because of their nocturnal habits ,
this one probably already had his fun if you found him in the daytime.
Donnie Darko
I harvest silkworms as food for my pet Bearded Dragon, and they eventually coccoon and turn into silk moths, one of which hatched yesterday. They're butt ugly compared to Arty's Luna Moth. And they also have no mouths, and can't fly, even though they have wings. They live for 5 days after they metamorphose, mate, lay eggs, and then kick the bucket.
Kirk

The Luna is also considered a silkworm moth.
Breson
user posted image
user posted image

Look at his wings. More than a coincidence? blink.gif
Artemis
Anti-predator design.

Absomphe
All hail the winged Green Man! worshippy.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (Kirk @ Mar 28 2005, 11:36 AM)
The Luna is also considered a silkworm moth.

Huh, I wonder why. Does it metamorphose from an actual silkworm?
Kirk
Yes, there are several varieties of silk worm moths, the Luna is one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.