Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What absinthe today truly compares to vintage?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
jmfranc
I am a absinthe collector and drinker. And I buy what I have researched as very good absinthe. I want to know what absinthes today are similar to vintage? I hear Nouvelle-Orléans is pretty close (just received the two bottles I ordered). And I have Swiss clandestine and about 7 others. Now, I'm talking about the taste of absinthe when it was bottled - not after it sat for 90 years. So, if I could go back in time and try a number of good Absinthe from 1905, what would they taste like? Today's Nouvelle-Orléans?

I wish I could buy vintage that hasn't changed with time. It's something forever lost that we will never truly know - what did good absinthe taste like when a person was drinking it pre-ban? Time machine anyone?

And where do I find vintage absinthe? I'm on all the boards and on the lists over at oxygenee.com for when they get more. Where do you find them? PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Legler-Pernod-mini.gif vagina.gif
Jack Batemaster
Is this an April Fools joke???
Ari
Jack you must be slipping.

So, if I could go back in time and try a number of good Absinthe from 1905, what would they taste like?

The correct answer: Burnt™
pirate2.gif
Jack Batemaster
I'm not convinced that they were burnt™, though.
jacal01
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Apr 1 2005, 06:05 PM)

Yes, there are those pesky lab runs and censored2.gif . Evidently it's all about scale-up.

Which does bring up a point, if this doesn't overstep some boundary, are some of the censored2.gif in question of comparable scale? What are we talking about here, 1000L alembics?
Absomphe
QUOTE (Jack Batemaster @ Apr 1 2005, 07:05 PM)

Sure they were...

Where do you think Jack Daniels got the idea to age his whiskey in those charred oak vats?
Kirk
QUOTE (jacal01 @ Apr 1 2005, 11:22 PM)
are some of the censored2.gif in question of comparable scale? What are we talking about here, 1000L alembics?

No.
More like 6 or 8 liters,
there are no 1000 litre HG stills.
jmfranc
You could actually answer the questions in the post. I know it's a crazy idea.... frusty.gif frusty.gif frusty.gif
morgueann
I bet that's Opie.
jacal01
QUOTE (Kirk @ Apr 1 2005, 08:57 PM)

there are no 1000 litre HG stills.

HG Stillwell?

Hog Grout. Nooo, that's trough. High Gravity. Nooo, that's boot. Hyssop Gravy. Nooo, that's boat. Mercury. Nooo, that's manometer. Hydrogen Gold. Noooo, that's philosopher's stone and Au besides. Well, hell...

Whoop, there it is then. I guess that's all finally laid to rest.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (jmfranc @ Apr 1 2005, 11:00 PM)
You could actually answer the questions in the post. I know it's a crazy idea....

Assuming that we don't have any Forum members over 100 years old (well, maybe Absomphe harhar.gif ), it's highly unlikely that anyone here really knows for certain what newly bottled Pernod Fils tasted like in 1905.

Perhaps, you should get in touch with H. G. Wells. wacko.gif
jmfranc
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Apr 1 2005, 10:10 PM)
Perhaps, you should get in touch with H. G. Wells. wacko.gif

Your insight is so helpful. Asshole.

Maybe someone could determine how different it might be after sitting around for 100 years? What are the changes that happen, specifically, to aged liquids regarding taste?

I just wanted some intelligent input and instead I got you...
jacal01
QUOTE (jmfranc @ Apr 1 2005, 05:24 PM)
So, if I could go back in time and try a number of good Absinthe from 1905, what would they taste like? Today's Nouvelle-Orléans?

Time machine anyone?

And where do I find vintage absinthe?

Let's do the time warp again!
It's just a jump to the left...

I dunno. Why don't you come up to the lab? And see if any were left out on the slab?
morgueann
Old Stan is our gentleman's gentleman.

You have some balz™, my young n00b friend.

Sasquatch: I like you. You're funny.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (jmfranc @ Apr 2 2005, 12:16 AM)

You should have said so. If I had known that you were looking for intelligent input then I certainly would have kept my remarks to myself. I'm very sensitive like that.

user posted image
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (morgueann @ Apr 2 2005, 12:19 AM)
Old Stan is our gentleman's gentleman.

Thanks sis. You don't have to lay it on so thick though.
Hiram
QUOTE (jmfranc @ Apr 1 2005, 04:24 PM)
So, if I could go back in time and try a number of good Absinthe from 1905, what would they taste like?

That's like asking for a definitive answer to exactly how Mary Magdalene's cootch smelled. It ain't possible to know.

We can generalize, and feel secure that what is being produced today is at least pretty damned close to some of the absinthes of the past. We can duplicate a lot of things: recipes, protocols, even labels; but since we simply don't have the same precise ingredients (or the individual variations introduced to the processes but not documented), there's no way to know for sure.

Just such a simple thing as the wormwood or fennel being grown in a different region can change the entire flavor in a big way. Hell, changing the base alcohol can make a huge difference.

To the best of my knowledge, no one posssesses sufficient documentation to reproduce an exact copy of any particular brand of fresh pre-ban.

Edit: Way to go, newbie dumb-fuck. Three posts and you insult a well-respected forum member. Who are you trying to impress? Remember, you're the new one here; we're mostly all friends already. Try to behave, asshole.
jacal01
QUOTE (jmfranc @ Apr 1 2005, 10:16 PM)

Wait. Let me have this one, guys.

Before you launch your own thread on this forum and start slinging around names at some of the veterans, especially one of the more gentile ones, maybe you should do some required reading as not only suggested, but damned near insisted on, thanks to your ilk.

Try the essential FAQ thread at the top of the forum index by Oxygenee & others, specifically questions 1 and 4.

I expect an apology is in order. Wipe your feet next time you come into this house. And take off your hat while you're at it.
Lord Stanley
Thanks but I don't give a rat's ass about an apology.
He can sling names to his heart's content as far as I'm concerned.

Arguing on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
jacal01
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Apr 1 2005, 10:36 PM)
Thanks but I don't give a rat's ass about an apology.

Apologize to you?? I want an apology. And Eddie wants one, too. Some nerve...
Lord Stanley
You've only been here a week. You ain't gettin' no apologies. wink.gif
jacal01
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Apr 1 2005, 10:47 PM)
You've only been here a week. You ain't gettin' no apologies. wink.gif

Shhhhhh. Ixnay on the oobnay.

Trying to build up some cachet here. Did it work? (think ycophantsay).

Okay, just Eddie, then. I know he's got some bonafides with this lot.
Lord Stanley
Cachet?

You'd better ask someone else about that.
jacal01
Ookay den. Back to the redoubt. torch.gif
hartsmar
Whoa! Some nerve.

Oh well, since you managed to call people in here assholes, I assume it won't be easier for you to make connections now, so I'll just be a nice guy and give you the address to one of my better sources.

Belle Seebub
666 Heat Street
Down Under

Other than that, Hiram gave you a nice and fine answer.
Greenmeanie
QUOTE (jacal01 @ Apr 1 2005, 10:53 PM)
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Apr 1 2005, 10:47 PM)
You've only been here a week.  You ain't gettin' no apologies.  wink.gif

Shhhhhh. Ixnay on the oobnay.

Trying to build up some cachet here. Did it work? (think ycophantsay).

Okay, just Eddie, then. I know he's got some bonafides with this lot.

Cachet!? Gotta up that post count first! Wanna do it quick? Just ask Morty La Psycho, she'll be more than happy to help!

Oh, and having a member number that continues on the next page doesn't help either! harhar.gif
Artemis
To the best of my knowledge, no one posssesses sufficient documentation to reproduce an exact copy of any particular brand of fresh pre-ban.

You don't need documentation if you're a trained organic chemist, in possession of a pre-ban sample, and cognizant of what changes take place and why in a hundred years. Coming up with the copy is then a matter of access to materials. Given the same or better materials, the copy is possible.

if I could go back in time and try a number of good Absinthe from 1905, what would they taste like?

If "if" was a skiff, we could all take a ride.
Kirk
Seeing a funny and smart noob on this board is like spotting sasquatch . abs-cheers.gif
Oxygenee
QUOTE (jacal01 @ Apr 2 2005, 08:32 AM)
Before you launch your own thread on this forum and start slinging around names at some of the veterans, especially one of the more gentile ones,

It didn't seem such a stupid question to me, but then of course I'm not a gentile.

Here's the short answer: Absinthe changes over time, but, like all spirits kept in glass, not that dramatically. By far the most noticable change is in the colour, which changes from green to brown.

The Jade absinthes specifically seek to replicate the flavour of Belle Epoque absinthe, and most people who've tasted vintage absinthes agree that they are (at least) reasonably successful in doing so. The New Orleans is the least characteristic, try the Edouard Pernod or Berger clones instead.

The rationale for drinking original Belle Epoque absinthe, when it very occasionally turns up today, is an intellectual and romantic one, more than a sensory one - this is really true for all ancient spirits, and very old wines as well. In other words, if you have the opportunity to sample a century old absinthe, don't expect to be blown away by a taste orders of magnitude better than anything available today, just savour the thrill of reaching back through time, and for an instant, connecting to a long forgotten world.
Donnie Darko
Jews and gentles unite!

From what I can tell, it's possible to create a pretty close reproduction of vintage absinthe. IMO, it's possible for some to create something even better than that on smaller scales.

Jade is probably a pretty close representation as far as vintage goes, though I would venture to say Un Emile is also a pretty close representation of a certain style of absinthe made prior to the ban.
Oxygenee
I worry about my daughters marrying gentles.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 2 2005, 08:53 AM)
You don't need documentation if you're a trained organic chemist, in possession of a pre-ban sample, and cognizant of what changes take place and why in a hundred years.

Damn, I wish that we had someone like that around.
Hiram
QUOTE (Artemis @ Apr 2 2005, 05:53 AM)
Coming up with the copy is then a matter of access to materials.  Given the same or better materials, the copy is possible.

That's half my point. We don't have access to the same materials.

I said:
We can generalize, and feel secure that what is being produced today is at least pretty damned close to some of the absinthes of the past ...  but since we simply don't have the same precise ingredients (or the individual variations introduced to the processes but not documented), there's no way to know for sure.

I'm a little short in the faith department.

I know that some absinthes I've tasted have changed dramatically in the bottle just since I've owned them in spite of the fact that they've also been aged before sale. I don't expect the Jades, Devoilles or Emiles to taste the way they do now in a hundred years.
hartsmar
QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Apr 2 2005, 07:35 AM)
I worry about my daughters marrying gentles.

Likewise...

Trouble starts when the five year old already decided who's to be the "lucky" groom...

bexclent
QUOTE (jmfranc @ Apr 1 2005, 07:24 PM)
if I could go back in time and try a number of good Absinthe from 1905, what would they taste like?

You could just do some reading of fictional drama from the era. Many authors (Hemmingway comes to mind) had detailed descriptions of drinking absinthe in their written work. Their interpretation of it would probably be very accurate.
archangelica
Here's what's really sad about jmfranc's post: I happened to notice yesterday that he was reading a topic titled: How much Vintage still exists? It sounded interesting, so I decided to take a peek myself.

Within the first page of that thread there was a link to another one in the old forum that essentially contains the same answers he could expect to get from his newly posted question. Because he went ahead and started this topic I have to assume he was just too lazy to read the lengthy thread, which is not only worse (in my opinion) than not searching at all, but also unfortunate because reading it seemed not unlike wandering by the chess tables in Harvard Sq. only to find a few grandmasters playing a friendly Sunday afternoon game. Wow sleepy.gif http://www.sepulchritude.com/forum/message.../8219/8365.html
jmfranc
QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Apr 2 2005, 07:01 AM)
QUOTE (jacal01 @ Apr 2 2005, 08:32 AM)
Before you launch your own thread on this forum and start slinging around names at some of the veterans, especially one of the more gentile ones,

It didn't seem such a stupid question to me, but then of course I'm not a gentile.

Here's the short answer: Absinthe changes over time, but, like all spirits kept in glass, not that dramatically. By far the most noticable change is in the colour, which changes from green to brown.

Thank you for your input. It's what I was looking for. I will not come in here and kiss the ass of the "elders" just to get accepted. F YOU. I came to this forum with a curiosity in the chemistry changes of liquids over time. And, maybe, have someone recommend an Absinthe that might be one I haven't tried and should.

And that the fact that this forum has a large percentage of people wanting to kick someone coming into this forum who hasn't kissed their ass yet - fuck it. I will take my questions elsewhere. Sorry I wasted your time.

And to "Oxygenee" - thank you for taking the time to write me and reading past a number of people's insults. I had a real question that could have had a an interesting thread but instead I get the highschool mentality of Jack Batemaster and Lord Stanley (worshippy.gif).
user posted image

And to archangelica commenting about me not reading the thread in "How much Vintage still exists?" - I read it and wanted a clearer answer. Oh, and thanks for jumping on the bandwagon. Could you have not just sent a message to me saying what you said? I am looking for info, not groups of people who feel they need to fit in with the other members and follow whatever they do.

Some of you seem very genuine and I would love to have a conversation some time. But, I left highschool about 18 years ago and don't want to go back to that maturity level (Jack Batemaster and Lord Stanley (worshippy.gif).
user posted image

Hiram
Nobody's asking you to kiss anyone's ass. The only reason anyone ripped you in the first place was that you were so inconsiderate as to call a community member an asshole because you're too arogant and humor-impaired to be able to take a little ribbing.
Head_prosthesis
Say hello everyone to the nube of the
week. jmfranc!

He'll be here all weekend to ask you
half decent questions, sling obscenities,
amuse you with personal anecdotes and
dazzle you with his use of words
and emoticons and stuff.

capitaomorsa
Common stop the flaming....respect...

To me jmfranq did a mistake to call that name to Stan, but everyone is different, and It was him reaction... Since he was trying to get a decent answer to the question, I think It's kind of frustrating to read some of the answers given, especialy the one that Stan did...

I'm not supporting jmfranq, or Stan, But I'm supporting all the users that stayed focus to jmfranq question, and provided good firm answers...

Regards to All
archangelica
Woohoo! I made it on the band wagon. I have to say it was awful hard playing sax while running along the side. Skooch over Jack and Lord Stanley (worshippy.gif), and give a girl some room... I sure don't want to fall off this one. Golly, singled out and reprimanded... I feel so special now! wub.gif

This isn't about trying to "fit in with the other members and follow whatever they do". I really am a complete bitch, but just happen to have a nice streak every now and then. Don't let it fool you. And it's not about kissing anyone's ass around here either. It's about showing some respect to those who know more than you do, taking the time to do a little research on your own (and actually reading the supporting links), and keeping a sense of humor. Perhaps if I had replied to your post before you started calling people names I wouldn't have been so harsh, but you'll find that you get back what you dish out around here.

Lord Stanley
I'm still not sure what offended you so deeply in my reply. If you're asking anybody here what absinthe tasted like a century ago, they don't know because they weren't there. If you hadn't figured out from other threads that the Jades were scientifically engineered to taste like vintage absinthe and the closest approximation that you'll find in modern products, then you should have done a little more research. As for the "H. G. Wells" jab, you're the one who mentioned a time machine in your original post, dipshit.
QUOTE (jmfranc @ Apr 2 2005, 01:03 PM)
...the highschool mentality of Jack Batemaster and Lord Stanley.
What can I say? It's a good strategy for picking up high school girls.
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (archangelica @ Apr 2 2005, 02:28 PM)
Woohoo!  I made it on the band wagon.  I have to say it was awful hard playing sax while running along the side.  Skooch over Jack and Lord Stanley (worshippy.gif), and give a girl some room... I sure don't want to fall off this one.
Welcome aboard.

I really am a complete bitch, but just happen to have a nice streak every now and then.
Since I'm apparently the resident asshole, we should get along just fine.
jmfranc
QUOTE (Lord Stanley @ Apr 2 2005, 12:45 PM)
If you're asking anybody here what absinthe tasted like a century ago, they don't know because they weren't there. If you hadn't figured out from other threads that the Jades were scientifically engineered to taste like vintage absinthe and the closest approximation that you'll find in modern products, then you should have done a little more research.

WOW! Some info that I could actually use! Sorry I only spent about an hour reading as many threads as I could before posting. I guess I could have spent many more reading everything before asking a question. Only so many hours in a day.

I thank all of you that have given some answers.

I don't have much patience and wanted to start a thread where people could post what they know or a link to where I could find more info.

I'll tell you what pissed me off...the very first reply to my post. Jack Batemaster's " Is this an April Fools joke??? "

Could we not skip all the inside humor and just post something that might contribute to a thread? IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY NOOB POST THEN IGNORE IT or write me directly. I live in New Orleans and am very much interested in Absinthe. My favorites are En Umile, Suisse La Bleue, Pernod 68, and Jade's Nouvelle-Orléans.
Ari
It's simple. If a newbie comes here and is offended by their greeting, then they obviously didn't read around before posting and probably deserve it.

Whats with people coming here and acting like they own the place and can get away with insulting regulars?
No respect I tell ya.
jmfranc
QUOTE (Ari @ Apr 2 2005, 01:03 PM)
It's simple. If a newbie comes here and is offended by their greeting, then they obviously didn't read around before posting and probably deserve it.

Whats wrong with welcoming people with open arms? If that was the greeting I would get in person, then you surely wouldn't like my response. Nothing wrong with being welcomed with a little courtesy.
G&C
" Is this an April Fools joke??? "

I'm sure of it.

gun thug.gif
Ari
JmF: You were greeted with rather open arms for the forum. After 6 posts you complained that no one answered your question. You mentioned a time machine and LS mentioned HG wells and you called him an asshole. Sorry but you slung the first poop.gif now you get to roll in it.

G&C: Normally april fools end at noon and definably by the next day. He hasn't ended yet.
traineraz
QUOTE (killmeplease @ Apr 2 2005, 11:03 AM)
I will take my questions elsewhere. Sorry I wasted your time.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out! harhar.gif
jmfranc
QUOTE (traineraz @ Apr 2 2005, 01:39 PM)
QUOTE (killmeplease @ Apr 2 2005, 11:03 AM)
I will take my questions elsewhere. Sorry I wasted your time.

Don't let the door hit ya on the way out! harhar.gif

Yes, you can have your little clique that you are so proud of. I may have had something to contribute here but you have made sure that I don't. Enjoy your absinthe and enjoy your forum....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.