Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odd/errouneous absinthe reference
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Brett
"...illegally imported absinthe consumed around wobbling outdoor tables..." (p. 374)

from Smith, Zadie White Teeth, London: Penguin, 2000.

The part quoted above is set in London, 1991. Aside from the interesting absinthe reference, I was under the impression that absinthe and liquor importation were completely legal in the UK.

(This is not the only error in the book, but the other is non-absinthe related).
sixela
If you pay excise and duties, or it comes from the EU and you personally transported it over the border for your own personal consumption.

If you import Swiss absinthe without paying your dues, then...
Brett
The author picks up on a lot of pop culture, and if I remember correctly, absinthe (i.e. Hill's) was just hitting it big in London in 1999 - 2000.

The reference is only that small sentence, it never comes up anywhere else that I know of.
pierreverte
at that time, it was still assumed that absinthe had been banned in the UK, which was never the case...
Brett
I desperately wanted to bring this error up in class, but it was pretty much our final class and I had absolutely no reason to bring it up.

Maybe I should have taken a pop-culture and memory angle...something about how we tend to remember things out of context...something like that.
Brett
QUOTE (pierreverte @ Apr 4 2005, 11:24 AM)
at that time, it was still assumed that absinthe had been banned in the UK, which was never the case...

Are you referring to 1991 in which that portion of the novel is set, or 2000, when it was written?
pierreverte
when it was written
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.