Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinth - King of Spirits
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide
Pages: 1, 2
Artemis
According to http://www.laboheme.uk.com/

"Developed from an original Swiss absinthe recipe this Czech absinthe is free of colorings and preservatives. All the essential ingredients and herbs are carefully selected and processed to ensure the unique taste of Absinthe. The delicate process of maceration continues with the presence of herbs (the main one being wormwood) in the bottle."

AVERAGE SCORE 10

Reviewed by Gertz 3/19/2005

COLOR BEFORE WATER 5/10
A pale, not very intense green. Not artificial-looking, though.

LOUCHE ACTION 0/10
None.

COLOR AFTER WATER 1/10
A paler shade of the color before water. As mentioned, no louche; the one point is for not looking artificial.

AROMA 4/30
Mostly bad alcohol, with only the slightest hint of some other indefinable chemicals. A few points because the bad things could be more pronounced.

MOUTH-FEEL 2/10
Slightly oily.

TASTE 1/20
Bitter with bitter and a long-lingering bitter aftertaste. Positively hard to swallow. After five or ten minutes, a slight hint of flavor from bad alcohol shines through the bitterness. Sugar only helps in amounts huge enough to completely mask any other taste.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 0/10
To be avoided at all costs.

Gertz scores Absinth - King of Spirits 13 out of 100.

Reviewed by Bruno Rygseck 4/5/2011

COLOR BEFORE WATER 4/10
Grayish weak green with fennel-seed like herbal particles, certain natural appeal it does have.

LOUCHE ACTION 1/10
Weak louche with slow pour where the seedy fennels turdbulently danced.

COLOR AFTER WATER 1/10
Transparent hazy weak grayish yellow green.

AROMA 1/30
Neat or louched, stomach-upsetting fishy old soaked fennel aroma without anything else.

MOUTH-FEEL 0/10
Bitterness overrides any other mouthfeel sensations.

TASTE 0/20
Disturbingly bitter without any herbal character or sweetness.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 0/10

Bruno Rygseck scores King of Spirits 7 out of 100
Bruno Rygseck
Absinth King of Spirits

Editor's note: New review from Bruno posted at a later date have been included above...
Absinthesizer
C'mon Bruno - what did you really think?!?
wooperman
A 4? Not 3, not 5, but 4.
Wild Bill Turkey
He was going to give it a 1/20 for taste, which would have improved the overall score, but then he had to penalize it an extra point for tasting too bad to give it a 1/20.
Bruno Rygseck
'xactly.
abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
I think that was ten points fewer than I awarded KOSG.

Sounds about right.
hartsmar
Hmmm... I was going to update this review but honestly, 4/100...
I know KoS ain't good, but 4 out of 100.

In order to achieve 0 points for aroma and 0 points for mouth-feel and 0 points for taste this has to be even worse than Perigan and even worse than Elixier and...

Even though I know KoS is shit and that it's not worthy of the name absinth(e) on the label, I cannot make myself include a review of only 4 points for something that at least is made from natural products, not essences, and thus should have at least a little hint of something in the aroma and maybe even in taste.

Hell, if we can award chewing-gum like flavors points, I'd have to say that even KoS deserves some points in the above categories.

It's easy to be biased by the fact that this is KoS but I would be willing to bet a lot that the scores would not be as low if this was blind tasted... If I could be so kind to have you re-visit ( evill.gif ) the KoS and do another review you're more than welcome because I am not so sure that I can include this.

Now, let the bashing begin.
Bruno Rygseck
No bashing from my side, I could give it another try. There is still about 2 cl left in the mini bottle, including the sediment (herbal parts). Even if it did not score more, I could think of rewording the Overall impression part.

cheers /// BR
Absomphe
Or you might even decide to lower it a point or two, which I don't necessarily think would be undeserving, either. evill.gif
Alice the absinthe eater
I would review it, if I had a bottle.

"Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, say no more!"
traineraz
'However, this bottle WAS marked `poison,' but Alice ventured to review it anyway.." het.gif
peridot
Alice, you missed the chance to try the Gold version a while back. A bunch of us simultaneously jumped on that grenade to save others.
Absomphe
I'm still waiting for my veteran's benefits, and a purple heart. evill.gif
Absinthesizer
So am I, but a bit of Duplais seems to be deadening whatever pain I thought I was feeling...
peridot
I haven't been the same since.
Absomphe
Of course not.

Oxy never warned us that the Balztrippin'™ would include residual flashbacks. wacko.gif
Alice the absinthe eater
QUOTE(traineraz @ May 20 2007, 02:17 AM) *

'However, this bottle WAS marked `poison,' but Alice ventured to review it anyway.." het.gif

ahahaha dead on.
Bruno Rygseck
Re-reviewed. Same mini bottle as in my previous review from 2007.

Absinth King of Spirits

[...]

TOTAL 7/100

Editor's note: Review moved into main review post and into the Buyer's Guide.
OCvertDe
Heheh… glutton for punishment, you are.
G&C
O would be proud.
Artemis
It should be posted at the Lounge for the ramification of that clown who's been haunting the place with tales of chop.gif and Coors Light.
Steve
Is this a new record low score?
Absomphe
Other than Bruno's original rating of 4, I think so.
Tibro
QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Apr 5 2011, 11:18 PM) *

… where the seedy fennels turdbulently danced.

Exquisite phrasing.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 6 2011, 03:30 AM) *

Is this a new record low score?

Tunel Black got 3/100 from me, I think.
Donnie Darko
King of Spirits deserves a score on the negative end of the number line, even a zero is too generous, as it seems it was designed to be deliberately offensive. A shitty beer like PBR is just bad because they wanted to do something as cheaply as possible with beer-ish ingredients, but at the end of the day, it still very vaguely fits the term "beer" and could be identified as "Beer" by the average person.

Not so with King of Spirits. I challenge anyone who has tried even the most mediocre glass of absinthe to claim that King of Spirits resembles anything that slightly fits the definition of absinthe. King of Spirits is like a cruel practical joke, in which someone switched your drink with a bucket of dirty mop water combined with isopropyl alcohol when you weren't looking. The fact that they then charge that much $ for it is grounds that the makers should be shot.
Provenance
KOS is just KOSG Lite.
Stroller
QUOTE(Artemis @ Apr 11 2005, 07:55 AM) *

According to http://www.laboheme.uk.com/

"Hills absinthe is made with herbal extracts, the main herb being wormwood (Artemisia absinthium). An emerald green absinthe drink with a distinctive bitter taste. Manufactured in the Czech Republic by Hills since 1920. Czech absinthe with the original Czech label.

Reviewed by Hartsmar 3/19/2005

Hartsmar scores Hills Absinth 15 out of 100

QUOTE(Bruno Rygseck @ Apr 5 2011, 02:18 PM) *

Re-reviewed. Same mini bottle as in my previous review from 2007.

Absinth King of Spirits

TOTAL 7/100

Hills better than KOS?
G&C
Different reviewers.
Stroller
Taking that into consideration… I had the opportunity to taste Hills a few years ago, possibly the most revolting alcohol I've tasted to date. I'm trying to imagine something worse.

Bruno, have you tried Hills (since you seem to have a strong constitution)?
Tibro
It's like doing a taste comparison of shit from different dog or cat breeds. Is there really any sense in ranking them once you've reached that level? And if opinions vary do you actually learn anything useful?
Absomphe
QUOTE(Stroller @ Apr 12 2011, 07:49 AM) *

I had the opportunity to taste Hills a few years ago, possibly the most revolting alcohol I've tasted to date. I'm trying to imagine something worse.

Elixier.
Tibro
Now can you adjust the color on your icon so it looks like brown smeared across your cheeks and nose?
Provenance
Panning Hills and KOS, that was the old days. So much has changed since then.

Now Oxy sell 'em.
Stroller
Reviews of the vile stuff are entertaining.

I sent one of the members a sample of Le Tourment as part of a blind tasting package to hear the review. Another shit variant.
Provenance
Someone must like the stuff, it keeps selling.
Artemis
QUOTE(Stroller @ Apr 12 2011, 03:33 PM) *
Reviews of the vile stuff are entertaining.

I sent one of the members a sample of Le Tourment as part of a blind tasting package to hear the review.

It entertained me all the way to the sink.

Absomphe
QUOTE(Tibro @ Apr 12 2011, 08:14 AM) *

Now can you adjust the color on your icon so it looks like brown smeared across your cheeks and nose?

Why bother?

The ulcerated leavings, already encrusted thereon, are so much more telling.
Artemis
An apt review of King of Spirits.
Bruno Rygseck
QUOTE(Stroller @ Apr 12 2011, 05:49 PM) *

Bruno, have you tried Hills (since you seem to have a strong constitution)?

A couple of years ago I got a sample from someone… I'll check my cabinet's darkest corners.

Edit: Unfortunately, I found it.
Shabba53
Prazky Prague Absinth. Just got in a bottle this week.

Easily the worst I've ever had. KOSG is like a breath of fresh air in comparison.

If anyone wants to punish themselves, PM me. I'm happy to send you a sample.
Absomphe
If I had some Elixier, we could trade, and share war stories, but, thankfully, I don't.
Shabba53
That stuff is bad, but Prazky is literally the only 'absinth' to evoke the gag factor for me.
G&C
Tell that to Logan Blanche.
Stroller
QUOTE(Shabba53 @ Apr 12 2011, 05:36 PM) *

That stuff is bad, but Prazky is literally the only 'absinth' to evoke the gag factor for me.

Similar thing happens to me when Grimmy dances nude.
G&C
I thought the gag factor was his issue,

Never mind.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(G&C @ Apr 12 2011, 10:03 PM) *

Tell that to Logan Blanche.

That was one fucked up absinthe. Tasted like how melted plastic smells.
G&C
Indeed.
Provenance
QUOTE(First Nate @ Jun 2 2005, 01:44 PM) *
I even had a buddy bring me back a little bottle of Prazsky Prague Absinth from a buisiness trip because he new it was a new hobby of mine… holy puke Batman!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.