Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LAUDANUM
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
POETE
GUESS IT'S NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE BUT IS IT POSSIBLE TO SUBSTITUE WITH SOMETHING ELSE? LARS!.gif
archangelica
Considering that laudanum was never a legal beverage for recreational consumption, but instead prescribed as a medication, I think that questions about substitutes for a tincture of opium might best be directed towards your family physician rather than an absinthe forum.
Wormwoody
Try strychnine.
G&C
Go Woody!

gun thug.gif
Greenmeanie
QUOTE (POETE @ Apr 16 2005, 10:48 AM)
GUESS IT'S NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE BUT IS IT POSSIBLE TO SUBSTITUE WITH SOMETHING ELSE? LARS!.gif

Had to. Before he bails like Herbal.
Wormwoody
Good thinking.
hartsmar
CONSIDERED A HEARING AID?!

viking_emoticon.gif
The Green Spirit
Someones been watching 'From Hell'.
Ari
SUBSTITUE?
LAUDANUM was just used to take the edge off of the absinthe hallucinations and tremors.
w00t2.gif Like this guy, he needs some LAUDANUM
w00t1.gif This guy has had his LAUDANUM.
See the difference?
Er sorry,
SEE THE DIFFERENCE?
morgueann
user posted image
justabob
To actually answer the question, codeine extracted from Tylenol #2 or #3 would lend a similar effect.
Breson
Where's the thread for that Bob?
justabob
QUOTE (POETE @ Apr 16 2005, 07:48 AM)

He appears to be looking for a Laudanum substitute.
Head_prosthesis
Hartsmar,
He meant to say Loudanum.
Brett
I got this friend, yeah? He used to get steamed up on tincture of bananna peel, ya get me? He'd mix this stuff with his distilled human bones and drink like two quarts and be all mashed, yeah?

Try that, ya get me?
jacal01
You may substitute with one 10 oz. can of cream of mushroom soup. TomatoSoup.gif
The Standard Deviant
Laudanum is simply opium dissolved in alcohol, so you can go to your local perfumery to buy opium, and chemists for the ethanol. Job done.

Been watching too many period dramas?
jacal01
QUOTE (The Standard Deviant @ Apr 16 2005, 04:22 PM)
you can go to your local perfumery to buy opium

Perfumery, what?

Were it that easy.
archangelica
jacal01
Well see, I wouldn't know that, since my own personal cologne truncates at isopropanol, and its been ages since I've plied my will with perfume.

I would have gone for the supermarket poppyseed spice macerated in alcohol connection, mineself.
Ari
Spice?
Bah, that's for losers. Ya gotta get a poppy seed muffin and soak the whole muffin in ever clear, then strain and drink the muffin juices.
morgueann
I just realised,

that troll in my picture earlier looks a lot like you, sasquatch . . . . .

I don't know if that's really a good thing.
jacal01
I'm still eyeballing that shopping bag full of blood guts. What IS that?? sleepy.gif
Ari
Dinner.
or
Mike.
Your pick.
jacal01
I tell you what it looks like to me....one of those Morlocks from the original Time Machine movie (with Rod Taylor). That would make it a bag o'Eloi.ppm.gif

I wonder if it's female?
hartsmar
QUOTE (Head_prosthesis @ Apr 16 2005, 12:57 PM)
Hartsmar,
He meant to say Loudanum.

BWAAHAHAHA!

abs-cheers.gif
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (POETE @ Apr 16 2005, 07:48 AM)

Yes. Codeine cough syrup. Mixing opiates and alcohol can cause severe respiratory depression and even death, so I wish you luck.

YOU, OUT OF THE GENE POOL!
scott001
So when is the next season of Deadwood being released?
Kirk
QUOTE (Donnie Darko @ Apr 17 2005, 10:34 AM)

YOU, OUT OF THE GENE POOL!

abs-cheers.gif Good call,
We need a whistle.
verbal_kraze
Dude, just buy some opium or heroin and soak it in alcohol. I wish you the best of luck in that endeavor. evill.gif
Greenmeanie
Verbal! Sup!
bexclent
just take your dog's Phenylbarbitol pills and powder them in your mortar. Then add to your absinthe.

Then you will be cool. just like johnny.

brucer
Considering that laudanum was never a legal beverage for recreational consumption, but instead prescribed as a medication, I think that questions about substitutes for a tincture of opium might best be directed towards your family physician rather than an absinthe forum.

In most countries there wasn't any distinction between the two until 1923, by which time laudanam was out of fashion with doctors anyway. Before that you didn't need a prescription to buy drugs, or poisons (as long as you signed the poison book).

Bruce
verbal_kraze
QUOTE (Greenmeanie @ Apr 18 2005, 09:44 AM)
Verbal! Sup!

Just chillin, been busy with a new job lately so I don't make it around as much. abs-cheers.gif
Greenmeanie
Job good! Job = more absinthe!! absintheglass-glow2.gif

Unless you want to jump into the abyss known as Bairnsfather! het.gif

Ya know, know that I think of it, what ever happened to Bairnsmother?
AndrewT
Died of thuj0ne poisoning maybe?
traineraz
Floating a teaspoonful of brake fluid on top of your (undiluted) absinthe, then adding an equal amount of chlorine bleach, will blend with the absinthe to provide a delightfully intense effect.

Might kill a few brain cells, but . . . what the fuck!
AndrewT
Just remember to filter it. It'll taste remarkably smooth while retaining all the bal-tripping "herbal properties".
Raschied Britannica
No, dammit. The chlorine bleach and brake fluid only work when blended.

Add ice too.

And maybe some powdered metallic sodium.

It's gonna be hitting the bars in the Czech republic real soon now.

I call it BOOM-sinthe...

O-Bomb.gif
traineraz
Yeah, but it works better if you add them one at a time to the glass, not if you blend them beforehand.

And if you use a margarita glass, you can do the rim with metallic sodium. TASTY!

Meanwhile, last night I made a cocktail out of Hendrick's, absinthe, and laudanum. I call it a LAUDAN-YUM!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.