Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Absinth
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > Administrative News & Site Updates
Artemis
In the mailbox from LDF this morning:

"Hot on the heels of our first offering from Switzerland comes another classic 'La Bleue' style Swiss absinthe. Kallnacher from the Matter-Luginbühl distillery. Kallnacher Absinth (using the local German-Swiss spelling)"

Oxy and I debated that spelling thing during FAQ creation - I was afraid of this. Will someone please teach these people how to spell absinthe?
pierreverte
funny...non?
Gertz
It's german. I'm pretty sure that's how they've always spelled it.

In my own language, I know for a fact that the spellings "absinth" and "absint" was used around 1900, while "absinthe" probably wasn't.
AndrewT
So first we have absinthe coming from the Czech Republic, and now absinth from Switzerland? What's going on here?
jacal01
Alcohalypse.
Jaded Prole
I await a review, If it's good it's good . . .
grey boy
When can we get ass-sinthe?
jacal01
Czech's in the mail as we speak.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (Artemis @ May 27 2005, 09:57 AM)
Kallnacher Absinth (using the local German-Swiss spelling)"

Will someone please teach these people how to spell absinthe?

Meanwhile all non-American English speakers are reading this site saying "Can somebody teach them how to spell colour?"
(Insert Sarcasm emoticon here)

It looks like there's room on the label for an E. Maybe we could ask LDF to include a sharpie and we'll write in an E on the label if it ends up tasting good...
hartsmar
QUOTE (Gertz @ May 27 2005, 11:10 AM)
It's german. I'm pretty sure that's how they've always spelled it.

It's from the German speaking part of Switzerland.
pierreverte
a region far, far away...all of 50 kilometers from the val-de-travers...
Gertz
QUOTE (hartsmar @ May 31 2005, 03:54 PM)

Well, what I meant was that the language is german.

But then again, I've met swiss people who would deny that - who claim that swiss german is a language all on its own and not just a funny german dialect. If it would get me a drink, I'd admit anything.
Abnorman
QUOTE (Jaded Prol @ May 27 2005, 06:20 PM)
I await a review, If it's good it's good . . .

WHAT?!? Someone in this forum doubts LdF?!? shock.gif
pierreverte
Greenmeanie
Modern German pronunciation does, distinctly, enunciate the E.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (Gertz @ May 31 2005, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (hartsmar @ May 31 2005, 03:54 PM)

But then again, I've met swiss people who would deny that - who claim that swiss german is a language all on its own and not just a funny german dialect.

Isn't it called Romish or something like that? I know a little German and some French, and I couldn't understand a word of what anybody was saying in places like Berne or Schaffhausen.
Gertz
You are thinking of romansch, one of the four official languages of Switzerland (the others being italian, french and swiss german). It's a romanic language and thus closer to italian and french than to german.

My german is decent, but I'm lost, when it comes to the swiss version. I think many native german speakers are as well.
Hans Conried
nevermind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.