Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now THAT'S what I call a dinner party.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Oxygenee
From Aleister Crowley's "Suffer the Little Children", originally published in 1917:

However, a second dinner party might enable him to endeavour to draw out Mr. Iff.  If he could be got to take interest once more in the common things of life, the mind might take on a healthier tone.

The wind was somewhat taken out of his sails by the appearance of Simon Iff at dinner in full evening dress.  He had ordered the meal, moreover:  oysters, clear green turtle, pompano en papillote, mallard duck au sang with coeur de palmier salad, bavaroise au chocolat, and a savoury invented by himself consisting of Toast Melba spread with mushrooms, anchovies, olives and pimento made into a paste.  This was covered with bay-leaves, on which was spread a mixture of caviar, raw onions, ginseng, and Bombay Duck, sprinkled lightly with powdered hashish.

The wine list was equally elaborate.  Cocktails consisting of two teasepoonfuls of liqueur brandy, one of Curacoa, and one of laudanum preceded the repast.  With the oysters he caused Chablis to be served, with the soup Tokay, with the fish Chateau Yquem.  The duck was accompanied by Mumm Cordon Rouge 1904.  The sweet was enriched by a marvelous sauce with a basis of Creme de Cacao, and the savoury fortified with an astonishingly fine Burgundy of incomparable body and bouquet.  The coffee was Turkish, prepared by Simon himself at the table, and perfected by the addition of an aromatic consisting of essential oil of cedar-wood and ambergris.

The liqueurs were Green Chartreuse of the original shipping, a particular Absinthe from a private still belonging to a friend of Simon Iff living in Switzerland among the crags of Jura, and an introuvable Metternich brandy.  With the nuts came Château Margaux, Port, and a Madeira dating from William the Fourth.

Say what you like about Crowley, the man knew how to live.

This text, which hasn't as far as I know ever previously been referenced by any absinthe historian, contains what must be the earliest known reference to clandestine Swiss La Bleue, and adds weight to the belief that it was manufactured continuously, from before the ban until the present day.

My friend Ted Haigh has written an interesting essay on the use of ambergris in drinks - see:
http://www.netstrider.com/documents/amberg...ris/miscellany/
tabreaux
Interesting that you should mention Ted Haigh, he's been a friend of mine for years.
pierreverte
>an aromatic consisting of essential oil of cedar-wood...

chop.gif O-Bomb.gif
Grim

Oh yeah. I'm feelin' it.'

I'd say the only thing that sounds interesting about that party could be found on the Entre Nous... but hey! I'm probably watching NASCAR and peeling potatoes right now.
justabob
This was covered with bay-leaves, on which was spread a mixture of caviar, raw onions, ginseng, and Bombay Duck, sprinkled lightly with powdered hashish.

Powdered hashish as a spice or condiment, that I have never heard of.

D. Gray
Oxy, I know this is a bit off topic, but I have just found a Danish absinthe reference dating from the 1880s. It only mentions it briefly, but it states that it causes visions and so on. I can translate it, and perhaps scan the pages and cover if you are interested.

Let me know.
Steve
It sounds pretty good, except for the sperm whale juice and the hashish on the duck.
het.gif
Esseintes
QUOTE (Oxygenee @ May 31 2005, 08:51 AM)

Absolutly, especially when he didn't pay for it, but that's another thing...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.