Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Book
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
La Lanterne Verte
Just got it today and have been glancing through it. I have to say that it rocks. Looking forward to reading it in-depth.

I was impressed (not that I'm a picture guy) at the first picture inset in the book - Toulouse-Lautrec's hollowed out absinthe-cane in detail. Very cool! w00t2.gif

Anyone else given this a read or is it more a passe subject to the experts?
Enoch Soames
I've read Barnaby Conrad's "Absinthe: History in a Bottle" and the Baker book you mention. The Conrad is more 'scholarly' and probably a bit better written (with lots of nifty illustrations - it's like a scaled-down coffee table book), but Baker's 'Book of Absinthe' is just more flat-out fun to read, with lots of acid-etched, gossipy portraits of literary and artistic absintheurs, and funny/sad stories. The Barnaby book was published in 1997 and could use some updating at this point (things seem to change rapidly in the Republic of Absinthe), but I enjoyed both.
Absomphe
Conrad's book published in 1997?

Try 1988.
Enoch Soames
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Jun 14 2005, 03:01 PM)
Conrad's book published in 1997?

Try 1988.

I stand corrected. Reprinted in 1997, then.

Barnaby needs to get on the stick.

For that matter, Baker needs some updating - he concludes with the introduction of La Fee and The Coming of Breaux.
Absomphe
Books always end up being significantly out of step.

For example, Michael Jackson's Running Press Guide to Beer, last published in 2000...

Man, is that behind the times!
traineraz
Somebody should create some sort of interactive "forum" where the general public can read and share current information.

Wouldn't that be cool?
Enoch Soames
QUOTE (traineraz @ Jun 14 2005, 04:23 PM)
Somebody should create some sort of interactive "forum" where the general public can read and share current information.

Wouldn't that be cool?

It'd be bitchen!

The cheap bastids (I'm talking about Conrad's publisher) should have tossed him a few extra bucks to bring things up to date for the '97 reprint if the book goes back to the frickin' 80's. It's unreasonable to take Baker to task for being a little out of date, I'll admit.

I'd bet Ted and Betty are bang-up-to-date, though.
Greenmeanie
QUOTE (Enoch Soames @ Jun 14 2005, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (traineraz @ Jun 14 2005, 04:23 PM)

Wouldn't that be cool?

It'd be bitchen!

Yeah, and the person posting wouldn't quote the person directly above him!! evill.gif
traineraz
QUOTE (Greenmeanie @ Jun 14 2005, 05:58 PM)

It'd be bitchen!

Yeah, and the person posting wouldn't quote the person directly above him!! evill.gif

Ya mean like you did? harhar.gif
G&C
QUOTE (traineraz @ Jun 14 2005, 06:22 PM)
QUOTE (Greenmeanie @ Jun 14 2005, 05:58 PM)

It'd be bitchen!

Ya mean like you did? harhar.gif

and you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.