Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SQL Errors, Update to Ver 2.1
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > General > Administrative News & Site Updates
Oxygenee
Two quick updates:

The recent SQL errors that some of you may have been experiencing are a hosting issue, not something specific to this site or the forum. We're looking into it though.

An upgrade to the latest version of Invision is definitely on the cards, but will - for logistical reasons - take a little while longer to happen.

Artemis
When I clicked on this topic, I got the SQL error message for the first and only time today w00t2.gif
Oxygenee
I've had several "Too many connections" SQL errors recently when accessing the forum.

Before I start foaming at the mouth with our hosting company, I'd like to get some feedback as to how many other people here have experienced the same hassles.

Any feedback on recent problems would be appreciated.
Grim
Yeah, uh, I got one too.
Kirk
It's only happened to me once,
and it was yesterday.
Lord Stanley
I've gotten a few of the same in the last 10 minutes.
audiowebguy
I got the "Too many connections" error just now. I finally got in after three or four tries.

sea_of_lament
I just got an error today.

mySQL error: Too many connections
mySQL error code: 1040
Date: Tuesday 26th of July 2005 02:16:54 PM

Just when I found the thread I needed for my question ranting.gif
hartsmar
Yes, they show up every once in a while. I've noticed it's when there are approximately 15-20 people on at the same time. Give or take a few.
Gertz
I've had them too. After waiting a couple of minutes, I am able to log in.
Grim
What he said...

Oh, and while I'm bitchin'... when I use any of the Code Buttons it always pops up at the end of text, even if I highlight a whole section of text for the "QUOTE" tag or whatever, I end up with a single tag at the bottom of all my text. Makes me wanna poor all my absinthe out and slap myself.
Artemis
Yes, that's a pain in the ass - I've brought this up a long time ago. Apparently it's the way this software works, but they don't ALL work that way - at other sites (can't remember which ones - the old software here, I'm pretty sure) you can highlight text and hit the code button and the appropriate tags are applied at beginning and end of highlighted text.
Gertz
I've got that problem when using Mozilla Firefox, but not with Internet Explorer.
Grim
'Zaaactly.
Absomphe
I use Internet Explorer, and I've gotten several of those "too many connections errors in the last few days.

Even when I don't get those, there has been a higher than usual amount of extreme sluggishness when I attempt to log on lately...it sometimes takes upwards of five minutes, and ours is a really fast 'puter using Comcast.

Did you perhaps switch servers when you assumed the reins, Oxy?
G&C
QUOTE (Gertz @ Jul 26 2005, 02:00 PM)
I've got that problem when using Mozilla Firefox, but not with Internet Explorer.

I've experience quite the opposite.

Most times I get no actual error, but it can sometimes take 5 minutes for the page to load.

I am using cable.
Artemis
I think the discussion of browsers relates only to the issue of code tags, not to the SQL error. I used to use IE, perhaps the tag thing is specific to Firefox, which I use now. No way I'm going back to IE just over tags, because Firefox is faster by leaps and bounds, superior in every other way that matters to me. The Firefox people are pretty responsive to comments - probably this should be addressed to them.
Kirk
The velvet rabbits strike again:
The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the www.oxygenee.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.
Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer

Hiram
I've never gotten the SQL error, but the code button thing is a way of life for me. I'm on a Mac, and it works that way in every browser I've tried - always has.

On the new software at WS, the URL tag and quote buttons are the only ones that works properly on a Mac. Interestingly, they work differently at my place than they do at the Lounge, even though we supposedly have the same version.
Kirk
It's either very slow, or I get this:

There appears to be an error with the The Republic of Absinthe Forum database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here, if this does not fix the error, you can contact the board administrator by clicking here

Error Returned

mySQL query error: SELECT id, member_id, running_time, location FROM ibf_sessions WHERE id='14d60518f7172addd056291c36273f1b' and ip_address=3rdstfrthsun

mySQL error: Too many connections
mySQL error code: 1040
Date: Thursday 28th of July 2005 09:12:44 AM
Head_prosthesis
Please cut and paste your "SQL errors" here, folks.
So Kallisti can review them.

Thanks!

-the Management
Oxygenee
Thanks to some above and beyond the call of duty efforts from Kallisti we've got to the bottom of the problem: without boring you with all the geek stuff, it's caused by the size of the forum database and the inefficient way Invision Ver 1.1 manages it. Upgrading to Ver. 2 will solve the problem, and of course give us some enhanced functionality on the board.

We'll implement the upgrade within the next 10 days. Doing so will probably mean shutting down the forum for a day or two. sleepy.gif

Precise dates will follow as soon as I have them.

Jack Batemaster
QUOTE (Grand Poobah @ Jul 28 2005, 12:38 AM)
...Interestingly, they work differently at my place than they do at the Lounge, even though we supposedly have the same version.

Not the same. The Lounge uses the Enhanced Jack Version™ 3.3 Revision 2 to do those [TAG][/TAG] functions.
G&C
So then, The Lounge has been Jacked!
Gertz
QUOTE (Oxygenee @ Jul 28 2005, 09:52 PM)
We'll implement the upgrade within the next 10 days. Doing so will probably mean shutting down the forum for a day or two.

So, we're gonna gate-crash the Lounge like they did here when Jack broke it?

Are we expected to live on Wheat Thins instead of lobster and vintage Pernod Fils for two days, then?
Kirk
Yeah, you connoisseurs wouldn't like what we eat and drink here in the states.
It doesn't have enough filler for you continentals.
Kirk
Where can I get the best lobster,
and the best absinthe?
Kirk
Vintage Pernod is commercial absinthe.
G&C
Nobody actually eats the Wheat Thins.

Well, except Hiram did once at my house.
Absomphe
EAT the Wheat Thins?

They're palate cleansers, not beer, fer cryin' out loud.
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE (Sqertz @ Jul 28 2005, 02:11 PM)
So, we're gonna gate-crash the Lounge like they did here when Jack broke it?

Have fun in the Stripper Mall.
Head_prosthesis
Oh please you guys, stop lyin' !
You eat the thins admit it !!!

When you're really wh-eaty
they call you a Cracker, Jack!
Jack Batemaster
They are usually thrown / used as weaponry. I am still finding smashed up Wheat Thins under rugs an' xit.

- Off. Jack Batemaster, Scientist
Head_prosthesis
blink.gif
Head_prosthesis
shock.gif
Head_prosthesis
wacko.gif
Head_prosthesis
w00t2.gif
Head_prosthesis
Hmmm, what other old tired jokes
have I got up my sleeve...
jacal01
Fire/stone?
Head_prosthesis
Close
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.