Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the meaning of Life?
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Arts & Philosphical Sundries
Pages: 1, 2
la mort tchèque
What is the meaning of life. Monty Python made a movie on it. But seriously, what does life mean? Especially considering the people on this forum, and with the emerald glasses of absinthe, the answers could be pretty interesting....
celticgent
"life ( P ) (lf)
n. pl. lives (lvz)

The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism.
The characteristic state or condition of a living organism.
Living organisms considered as a group: plant life; marine life.
A living being, especially a person: an earthquake that claimed hundreds of lives.
The physical, mental, and spiritual experiences that constitute existence: the artistic life of a writer.

The interval of time between birth and death: She led a good, long life.
The interval of time between one's birth and the present: has had hay fever all his life.
A particular segment of one's life: my adolescent life.
The period from an occurrence until death: elected for life; paralyzed for life.
Slang. A sentence of imprisonment lasting till death.
The time for which something exists or functions: the useful life of a car.
A spiritual state regarded as a transcending of corporeal death.
An account of a person's life; a biography.
Human existence, relationships, or activity in general: real life; everyday life.

A manner of living: led a hard life.
A specific, characteristic manner of existence. Used of inanimate objects: “Great institutions seem to have a life of their own, independent of those who run them” (New Republic).
The activities and interests of a particular area or realm: musical life in New York.

A source of vitality; an animating force: She's the life of the show.
Liveliness or vitality; animation: a face that is full of life.

Something that actually exists regarded as a subject for an artist: painted from life.
Actual environment or reality; nature. "
Greenmeanie
LIFE is a four letter word and the word in the middle of life is IF.
Artemis
Birth
School
Work
Death
2loucheltrec
the answer to the meaning of life... 42
The Green Spirit
Isn't it obvious?

Absinthe. A big nice glass of absinthe: absintheglass-glow2.gif
Kirk
Production
copyright
reproduction
franchise
disenfranchise
Gertz
What is the meaning of the letter A?

Nothing at all without a context and someone to perceive that. Then it depends.
jacal01
Good Lord! They're eating Harold!

Isn't it all about finding the fish?

Greenmeanie
Fishy, fishy, fishy, fish.
Where is my fishy?
Where has he gone to?
le Gimp
Beer.
AndrewT
So far I haven't found any scientific evidence conclusively proving that it's not fish.
Jaded Prole
Life has meaning?
Absomphe
Yes.

Ask Mikey.
celticgent
holy shit!

asswhomp actually said something mildly funny!
Donnie Darko
Even little league players hit home runs from time to time.

I laughed out loud though. Good one Abs.
Absomphe
Thanks for the left-handed compliment, your Drollness...

It almost makes me miss that oh-so-sophisticated lower Manhattan humor.

Almost. abs-cheers.gif
Absomphe
QUOTE (celticgent @ Aug 16 2005, 11:20 AM)
holy shit!

asswhomp actually said something mildly funny!

I'm surprised you'd be able to recognize it.
G&C
It must have been real mild.
Absomphe
Indeed.
le Gimp
QUOTE (G&C @ Aug 17 2005, 07:05 PM)
It must have been real mild.

3.5% abv?
Jaded Prole
FOUR RELIGIOUS TRUTHS

1. Muslims do not recognize Jews as God's chosen people.
2. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
3. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian
World.
4. Baptists do not recognize each other at Hooters
hartsmar
So - the meaning of life is hooters. I can live with that.
DenSetsu
I could agree with that as well
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (Jaded Prol @ Aug 18 2005, 02:54 AM)

4. Baptists do not recognize each other at Hooters

Ha! Back in 1992 my dad happened to be in Houston (or maybe it was Dallas) Texas during the Republican national convention. He and some guys from work went to a strip club after work, and were surprised to find the place was PACKED with Republican delegates. This was back when "family values" was the political buzzword of choice.

Once you're saved, Jesus will forgive you for just about anything, so bring on the booze and boobies!

Absomphe
Actually, Hooter's and family values fit together perfectly.

How else are those Republican Standard bearers gonna get turned on enough to go home to their Stepford Wives, and obey the "be fruitful and multiply" edict?
Jaded Prole
Family kind of place? Sure it is.

Gordon
QUOTE (hartsmar @ Aug 18 2005, 04:35 AM)
So - the meaning of life is hooters. I can live with that.

Actually following that premise one would be led to conclude that hooters are only one half the meaning of life and to find the deeper meaning one would have to drive a little further south. harhar.gif
Artemis
I've been to exactly one Hooters exactly one time - it was in South Bend, Indiana. The chicken wings were good, not great, and the beer selection was passable (I think I drank Newcastle Brown Ale). There the good part ends.

The young women (servers, standarounders, etc.) wore panty hose under tight shorts that were long enough to show no cheek. All in all, a disgusting combination - it's hard to imagine anything more unsexy. Also, they wore ironclad brassieres under their tops.

Contrary to my expectation (a crowd of male patrons all over drinking age), the place was full of men and women (married couples) who had brought their 3.2 children along - ten year old boys were strutting about the place sticking out their little bird chests like cockerels at a hen party. Some of them had mullets - there seemed to be a large contingent of trailer trash in the house.

The place was absolutely packed and there's an open ceiling, with exposed pipes etc. as at a warehouse. The din was deafening - we had to shout to hold conversation at our table.

All in all, it was like dining on the set of Jerry Springer, an experience I wouldn't repeat if you paid me to do it. If Hooters is emblematic of anything, we're fucked.
AndrewT
My parents took me to Hooters once when I was in highschool. My mom thought it was hilarious.
hartsmar
Well, there's the Hooters airlines as well...
Gordon
You serious hartsmar? thats a new one on me. Artemis, I've never been to a Hooters restaurant, but you sound like you had a pretty revolting experience, quite the story..
Artemis
I wouldn't go that far - the beer and food were good fo de money and the service was acceptable. The noise, the flying trapeze outfits on the girls and the unrestrained mullet offspring are enough to keep me away, though.
Grim
The meaning of life: fuck more, think less, let those selfish genes do all the work.

Oh yeah, and there's always room for more cowbell.
myth
The meaning of life is:

Something to die for.

Or so the Germans want us to believe. shock.gif
Absomphe
Yes, and their absinth proves it.
Uncle
Will Shatner sang that one should dance,drink and screw.Cause theirs nothing else to do! No wonder they made him Capt. ! poop.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE (Grim @ Aug 20 2005, 11:53 PM)
Oh yeah, and there's always room for more cowbell.

Here ya go...
Moloch
According to Edgar Cayce:

We are not simply physical bodies or even physical bodies with souls, but are instead spiritual beings who are currently having a material experience. As souls, we have manifested in the earth in order to learn lessons that will enable us to return to our former state of spiritual awareness.

A soul selects that environment (parents and family, location, personal obstacles, etc.) which will best allow for the learning of lessons it needs for completeness. The goal is to fully express love in all the challenges which physical life offers.
Head_prosthesis
And I say, no deposit, no return.
Gordon
Amen brother, express yourself...... harhar.gif
la mort tchèque
To our brains, everything has some significance, hence we comprehend it. Life has the greatest significance to what the brain encounters, since its very existence depends on it. Sometimes, perhaps the brain's existence depends even more on other things such as drugs or love. Life has a significance, hence has a meaning, and hence is comprehensible to the human mind, and has one of the most important of meanings, as it is tied to our existence. Perhaps, we should ask then, what does our existence signify? Are we living a full existence, a vegitable existence? Are we living the opitumum existence, and why not chose something sub-optimal instead. Is our existence stastifactory, or should existence by defition not be satistfactory. Does existence create essence, even though Sarte claimed it preceeded it?
la mort tchèque
In short, is there more to life than eat, drink, shit, sleep, fuck, raise kids, die like all other animals?
Absomphe
Um, no.

And I'm perfectly happy without the raising kids part, thanks.
Head_prosthesis
Didja see the end of Six Feet Under?

That was the most morbid car ad I ever saw.

Absomphe
I Haven't watched that show since the first few episodes...I kinda dig the Alicia Witt-alike, though, cradle robber that I am.
traineraz
QUOTE (Moloch @ Aug 21 2005, 08:09 PM)
According to Edgar Cayce:

<snip>

A soul selects that environment (parents and family, location, personal obstacles, etc.) which will best allow for the learning of lessons it needs for completeness. The goal is to fully express love in all the challenges which physical life offers.

So according to Edgar Cayce, people born into slavery should be slaves. People born into poverty should be poor. People born deformed should be deformed.

Now I know what I must do . . . stop giving anything to charity or helping others, because they CHOSE that life before they were born!!
la mort tchèque
When I was in highschool, I was occasionally driven in a funeral hearse (but I lived in a funeral home for two years.)
AndrewT
Used to live next to a Limousine service / crematorium (connection = hearses), where you could see an almost constant stream of smoke coming out of the chimney. Always a nice friendly reminder.
Fredie
LIFE? Don't talk to me about Life!
user posted image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.