Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Apsinthion De Luxe 55%
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide
Artemis
AVERAGE SCORE 34

Reviewed by Oldlestat 6/5/2005

COLOR BEFORE WATER 3/10
Artificial strong green. Color made by E-133 BLUE, E-102 YELLOW, E-110 YELLOW (sunshine yellow).

LOUCHE ACTION 6/10
Quick and heavy

COLOR AFTER WATER 7/10
Pale green-white, almost opaque.

AROMA 15/30
Before water anise, fennel and alcohol. After water a little of anise, nothing special.

MOUTH-FEEL 4/10
A bit thin, little spicy, tongue numbness after while.

TASTE 11/20
At the beginning anise sweet, lightly spicy and in the latter part pleasantly touch of bitterness.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 5/10
It's not the First League, but it's refreshing. It comes from East Europe but certainly it's not ABSINTH.

NOTES
On front label: ABSINTHE Apsinthion De Luxe 55%
The back label says: "Apsinthion is the revival of century old recipe, originated in Switzerland and now produced in Poland where the "Artemisia Absinthium" plant flourishes on the hills that surround this unique distillery."
Official Site : http://www.toorank.com.pl - nothing special (only Polish) without information about ingredients and method of production.

Oldlestat scores ApsinthionDe Luxe 55% 51 out of 100

Reviewed by absinthist 4/12/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 2/10
Reminds of Czech swill, the same carcinogenic colourants as Hill's for instance, but is more on the green side.

LOUCHE ACTION 2/10
Too quick and too opaque in the vein of Spanish absentas but still it is not the louche one would be pleased with. The thickness might be due to the excessive use of glycerine-based aniseed oil.

COLOR AFTER WATER 2/10
It is nice opaline but having in mind how artificial it is, the score is obvious.

AROMA 5/30
Thin aroma of lots of aniseed oil with typical smell of colourants, not fascinating.

MOUTH-FEEL 2/10
Taken neat it is sweet, taken avec sucre it is sweet, taken sans sucre it is sweet. For such a sweetness I prefer Prado. There is anise, maybe fennel, if hyssop then little of and wormwood but in such an amount that it is not even at the back but somewhere off the main line. Sad, id est.

TASTE 6/20
It is drinkable and goes well but is not absinthe or anything I would love to sip long hours.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 2/10
Harsh to say it but I am ashamed that this comes from Poland. None at Toorank has read S.Falimierz' opus, haven't they?

PERSONAL NOTES
Still there is hope, remove sugar, be more generous with wormwood and for God's sake better leave it uncoloured and it will be just fine, if not the best choice.

absinthist scores Apsinthion de luxe 21 out of 100

Reviewed by Hartsmar 4/23/2007

COLOR BEFORE WATER 3/10
Overly artificially green, however with a slightly less nuclear glow than some and with less of a blue hue than others. Hence, not hitting rock bottom score.

LOUCHE ACTION 4/10
A rather instant louche but it builds up nice from the bottom. No drama though and certainly "enhanced".

COLOR AFTER WATER 2/10
Even more artificially looking than before! It looks more like the color of a birthday cake than an absinthe.

AROMA 10/30
Before water: Very candy-like and more licorice than anise. A very clear smell of wormwood oil and with no balance at all. Not very well mixed here.
After water: More licorice, more wormwood bitterness and nothing more.

MOUTH-FEEL 3/10
At first it actually seems rather full and creamy and rich. That lasts for a fraction of a second and thenit start to numb the tongue and right after that the terrible dry feeling comes sneaking up. After swallowing you're left with a bitter dryness and a oily taste.

TASTE 5/20
I've had worse, that's for sure but I've definitely had much better also. There's a terrible bitter bite from the wormwood oil. Next to that is the chemical taste of licorice.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 3/10
There are so many absinthes like this one. Why bother making another one?

Hartsmar scores Apsinthion de luxe 30 out of 100
Oldlestat

Country of Origin: Poland
Type: Mixed & Macerated
Rating: Average Score 51
Price (if known): 12-15 euro (in Poland)
Vendors: ??

IPB Image
IPB Image
zachM
Seems much better than I would have expected.
Wild Bill Turkey
They offer an unusual sppon, as a giveaway. It's got the shortest distance I've ever seen between the edge of the glass and the drip holes. This makes it ideal for using on small glasses. The metal is also three or four times thicker than any other spoon I've ever seen. It feels like plate armour. Their logo is etch-printed in black, like the eye on the La Fée spoon.
IPB Image
Oldlestat
Vendors:eAbsinthe.com

But the price is extremely high, in Poland 0.5l bottle of Apsinthion costs a 12 euro.
absinthist
Actually, it has dropped to 10 euro per 0.5 and several per 0.2.

Yeah, the spoon is weird but from what I am seeing they have stopped offering it, it is usually sold in a set: 0.2, spoon and glass which is quite expensive. When it was introduced as 0.5 version only it was not that bargain price it is now.

In bars and restaurants it is sold 50g for 2.25 euro but you have to ask for water and what is more, pay for it as well (1 euro approximately). The stuff is not worth that money, it is too sweet, too sugared (hence I treat it as creme d'absinthe) and the wormwood profile is very faintly pronounced.

hartsmar
Updated...
hartsmar
A friend of min travels a lot to Poland. He bought a bottle of this and gave it to me. So, had a try this weekend. It's chemical!

Much like a combination of Trenet "Premium" and Pere Kermann.

I'll review it soon.
absinthist
I am terribly sorry to announce but this has appeared as well:

http://www.alandia.de/absinthe/product_inf...92f8f2f8283ebea

Fortunately, I have not seen it yet in Rzeszow, but AFAIK, it has swamped warsaw.

Because it is "grand" it might suggest it is worse than "ordinaire" and so it is, the taste is a pure tragedy, 100% artificial, and the funniest thing it is more in the vein of czechsinth - it has the most "beautiful" no-louche ever. Still I cannot explain if it is at 68%, why these morons cannot at least colour it the natural way? Are they compelled to make it so chemical?

Avoid at any rate and remember, it has nothing to do with Polish tradition of absinthe, wormwood and aniseed spirits whatsoever!
Zman
Yet another reason (as if you needed another one) to avoid Alandia at all costs.
hartsmar
QUOTE(absinthist @ Apr 24 2007, 01:26 PM) *
Polish tradition of absinthe

Huh? blink.gif

absinthist
I meant there are better products, not necessarily to be purchased in big shops wink.gif, respectively we can talk about piołunówka, dubelt annis, kontuszówka, stomach elixir, wrotyczówka, light cavalerie vodka, all fitting in the line and absinthe predecessors and numerous others discontinued which does not mean no longer available from somewhere else.
Artemis
why these morons cannot at least colour it the natural way? Are they compelled to make it so chemical?

It could be that they can't, or that they won't.

First there's the cost of the coloring herbs - it's cheaper to use green dye, probably cheaper to use chlorophyll.

Then there's the matter of getting it right. It's easy to ruin good absinthe by botching the coloration with herbs. Not to say they're starting with good absinthe in the first place, but using good (expensive, hard to source) coloring herbs will not improve bad absinthe much, and might not even make it green.
absinthist
Actually, none of their other products is coloured naturally if the prices they call for do not reflect the quality one would expect.
Their portfolio is vast but seems to be just a bad imitation of a certain brand they want to sell. Since they have taken over the absinth(e) thing, I was expecting not brilliant results, but "grand" simply killed me.
What is showing some improvement, people are not gullible to buy it so often, it stays on the shelves for a really long time.
Provenance
QUOTE(Zman @ Apr 24 2007, 01:36 PM) *

Yet another reason (as if you needed another one) to avoid Alandia at all costs.

Costs? Not shopping at Alandia should be considered as a savings.
Alice the absinthe eater
how come you all bash alandia so much yet this site holds a link to them on the list of suggested vendors?
(just wondering. not trying to be an ass)

also is there a post somewhere about what the best vendors are?
Provenance
In brief, along with absinthe, Alandia sells all manner of garbarge that they misrepresent as absinthe. They won't steal your money, but depending on what you order, you might be better off if they did.

The following vendors are completely reliable and sell quality products:
LdF
Absinthe Classics
Alice the absinthe eater
I see, but for a newbie like myself (also one with not so much money to spend) I can't afford to buy jade or any of the "high grade" absinthes.
Provenance
The Duplais products, which some people like, and Verte de Fougerolles are far more affordable than Jade absinthes. If you can't afford real absinthe now, save up your money rather than wasting it on crap marketed as absinthe. If you spend what you have on Czech products, you will end up with neither money nor absinthe.
absinthist
VdF is really tasty and exactly to the point if it is an assemblage and unfiltered (for me, these are not flaws, but for some might be).
Alice the absinthe eater
hey slow down I never said I was going to buy czech.
maybe later on I will order from one of those other sites, but right now that does not really fit what I want.

I think it would be pointless to start with some of the better brands anyway. I just need to work my way up.

all of those people who get corvettes as first cars don't even know how to use them.
have you ever noticed that a lot of wealthy people don't even really know how to dress themselves in a presentable manner. Yet they spend very large amounts of money on clothing.
Kirk
The brands just mentioned aren't necessarily the "better" brands, but they are some of the most affordable absinthes on the market. You could buy some Serpis, it's even more affordable, from what I understand. I think they were just trying to point out that some things aren't absinthe so "better" does not apply.
Alice the absinthe eater
I understand that.

I was not planing on going out and buying KoS or stkzekoplanzyerknejhrehjbreerjhka

are there any vendors that sell cheaper things such as: tabu and NS70, that are considered to be better than alandia?
The Standard Deviant
If you don't bother with the tabu or NS70, you can put the money towards something better.
Nurgle
Funny, the Apsinthion was one of my first absinthes (if you can really call it that way) after the Libertine 72. I saw it in a liquor shop on holiday in Poland and couldn't resist buying it. It cost about 60 zloty, which amounts to about 15 euros I think... I quite liked it when I first drank it, not knowing much about absinthe, but I know better know. Mostly an anise taste, and alcohol, but nothing else. Still, it remains a refreshing drink, but I wouldn't call it absinthe. One positive note: it's definately better than absinth or all the scary colored Czech drinks, and I prefer it to a regular La Fée (which is probably out of principle, since I hate the latter :)).

I am curious about this new Apsinthion 68 though, even though I know it will be far from good.
grey boy
I've tried the Tabu, it is nasty.
eric
Tabu and NS70 are both pretty crappy. You would be better served with a bottle of Herbsaint or Arak from your local liquor store. Specs here in Austin sells Pontarlier Anis at $29 for a litre.
MrsAbsomphe
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ Apr 25 2007, 11:26 AM) *

If you don't bother with the tabu or NS70, you can put the money towards something better.
'Zactly!

Simple solution: Save your funds and purchase better absinthe.

QUOTE(eric @ Apr 25 2007, 11:48 AM)

...Arak from your local liquor store.
Quality arak is wonderful.

---Tish looking-up.gif
grey boy
Sav-Mor liquors and Kappy's usually have a couple decent Araks available.
G&C
If you spend what you have on Czech products, you will end up with neither money nor absinthe.

INDEED™

This is not the first time this has been posted, nor the first time I have agreed with it.

Read & learn.
absinthist
QUOTE(Nurgle @ Apr 25 2007, 10:27 AM) *

It cost about 60 zloty, which amounts to about 15 euros I think...

Now you can get it for half of the price, the price has dropped but the quality has not risen, either.
hartsmar
Sorry to interupt but... Reviews for Apsinthion (remember, that's what this thread is actually about) are updated.

viking_emoticon.gif
Absomphe

"I was not planing on going out and buying... stkzekoplanzyerknejhrehjbreerjhka"

At last, a noob who can spell! LARS!.gif
MrsAbsomphe
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Apr 25 2007, 05:12 PM) *
"I was not planing on going out and buying..."
...a noob who can spell!

Unfortunately, a husband who cannot, unless the noob is some sort of woodworker. (PLEASE spare us any 'wood' jokes!)

---Tish looking-up.gif
Absomphe
Aw, gee whiz, he did such a magnificent job spelling the name of that absinth, though. chickawow.gif

And isn't that what this place is really about?

Besides, maybe he was talking about not flying across the pond to get his absinthe.

Yeah, that's the ticket... unsure.gif
Alice the absinthe eater
is Staroplznecky even worth spelling right? frusty.gif
Marc
QUOTE(Absomphe @ Apr 26 2007, 01:43 AM) *

Besides, maybe he was talking about not flying across the pond to get his absinthe.

He was about to order xitsinths from Alandia though.
sixela
QUOTE(Alice the absinthe eater @ Apr 25 2007, 05:46 PM) *

I see, but for a newbie like myself (also one with not so much money to spend) I can't afford to buy jade or any of the "high grade" absinthes.

Then you can go to Markus Lion's www.absinthe-distribution.com site. He also sells some garbage, but at least he tries to misrepresent it. And there's a link on the left labelled "Authentic absinthe" that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Duplais balance is cheap and good (though a bit feminine and light on wormwood).
Absomphe
QUOTE(Alice the absinthe eater @ Apr 25 2007, 10:07 PM) *

is Staroplznecky even worth spelling right? frusty.gif

No, of course not, and your creative spelling was the best I'd seen yet.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(sixela @ Apr 26 2007, 01:35 AM) *

Duplais balance is cheap and good...though a bit feminine...

You keep saying this. How are you defining "feminine" with regard to absinthe? It seems you mean it as a flaw, but can you be more specific?
G&C
He must mean it to bee too strong and overpowering.
Absomphe
I think good, cheap, and feminine is a rare, and much sought after combination. chickawow.gif
Provenance

He also sells some garbage, but at least he tries to to misrepresent it.

As opposed to misrepresenting it in a tutu?
absinthist
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Apr 26 2007, 06:11 AM) *

You keep saying this. How are you defining "feminine" with regard to absinthe? It seems you mean it as a flaw, but can you be more specific?

In the heyday, La Parisienne, Premier fils were thought to be feminine, whereas Duval, Berger, or Vichet were masculine AFAIK.
sixela
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Apr 26 2007, 03:11 PM) *

You keep saying this. How are you defining "feminine" with regard to absinthe?

Less emphasis on the wormwood (and in some respect the fennel) and more "light" fragrant aromas in the finish. Less mild bitterness. Nothing that assails you.

The opposite of the 1797, to put it another way.

Wild Bill Turkey
They were certainly marketed that way, at least.

I understand that:
a) certain absinthes can seem to have an inherent feminine quality, at least to some palates.

b) certain absinthes, not always the "feminine" ones, enjoy an observable appeal to larger numbers of women than others.

Blanchette, a notorious wormwood bomb, is one of the chick-magnet absinthes, and nobody seems to like sugar with the Blanchette, either. So for me it casts doubt on wormwwod bite and sweetness as "feminine" qualifiers.
I think maybe it's lighter star anise content. Star anise makes the drink more robust, thickening the mouth feel and adding more of a licorice note that women almost universally recoil from.

But maybe Sixela is thinking of the perfumey quality of the coriander. The coriander is what you like about the Balance, if you like the Balance, right?

I've always thought of the Nouvelle Orleans as the most "feminine" of the Jades, but I've always attributed that feeling to the spritz of melissa (I assume) in the nose that makes it feel more citrusy, lighter, more "tangy".

EDIT: Sixer added his response while I was typing.
absinthist
I agree with a) and b) and would like to add that many an extrait's target audience were actually ladies (La Parisienne, Blanqui, Vichet, Rosinette, Ducros, Premier), whereas others concentrated on appealing to gentlemen. On the other hand, absinthes marketed as "for the ladies" were not that ladylike.

IMO, absinthe masculine is rich in the mouthfeel, has a definitive louche and might be striving towards the wormwood bomb, respectively, whilst the feminine should be more douce, with delicate (hence feminine) louche and good balance of wormwood and aniseed (from contemporaries I would vote for the Balance to fit that line in terms of the latter).

And I am for that star anise addition may contribute to absinthe masculinization, however since no one markets their absinthes as either fem or masc, it remains the personal matter of one's taste which characteristics shall be applied to and non omnibus unum est, quod placet. abs-cheers.gif
crosby
Just a note to WBT, just ‘cuz they wear woman’s clothes, doesn’t make them women. The transgender scene you nonunion folks(read fucks) live in, has nothing to do with reality
Wild Bill Turkey
Just as there's nobody more obnoxious than a reformed smoker, there's nobody more intolerant of others' excesses than an aging drag-queen gone "straight". Just because the transgender scene chewed you up and spit you out, Cros, doesn't mean it isn't still valid for those who can handle it.

Maybe if you'd taken a little better care of yourself, you wouldn't have looked so awful in makeup those last few years, and wouldn't have been humiliated so badly by the young lovers who can be so cruel with their rejection.
Nurgle
My first review, here it is spoon.gif (this is the right place to post it, isn't it?)

COLOR BEFORE WATER 3/10

Definitely artificial, dark green color, created by colorants. Nothing natural about it. I've seen worse, however, especially in the range of fluorescent Czech or Spanish liquids, so I'm still inclined to give it a score of 3/10.

LOUCHE ACTION 5/10

A fast, heavy louche, but it still doesn't seem natural to me.

COLOR AFTER WATER 5/10

A thick, greenish-white louche, still quite green. The dark greenish color remains very artificial, not to be compared with the louche of a quality verte. There is worse, however.

AROMA 11/30

Before water: Chemical, anise smell and alcohol. Nothing more. If other herbs are used in this brand, they are very well hidden.

After water: Very much the same. The anise smell becomes a bit more prominent. Still not much more.

MOUTH FEEL 3/10

Quite fresh in the very beginning, after which the tongue gets numb and very quickly a bitter taste remains. That's it. It's rather difficult to enjoy this drink...

TASTE 6/20

Refreshing, just good for one glass, but no more. A pale, anisy taste mixed with alcohol. I don't taste any other herbs. It is definitely not Absinth, I've had much worse, but it cannot be classified as a 'good' absinthe. The addition of sugar doesn't make it much better, although it sweetens it a bit.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 3/10

Refreshing and drinkable, but why waste you're time on this? There are worse, but also much much better drinks. Nice try, but there is nothing special at all about this.

In total, I'd give it a 36 wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.