Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question concerning books.
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Absinthe Library
Morgoth
Hello everyone

I heard from absinth about 8 months ago, so i started to look for more info about the fairy-like drink. Going over tons forums and sites , i read different things about its history and everything concerning it. Untill i bumped on to this one. It made me already a bit wiser about the drink, i've almost read al the texts that are in here (still a few to go dev.gif ), but i want to know more. I've heard the book by Barnaby Conrad the third is a very good one about the drink and i finally found me a bookstore that is willing to help me search for it. So that one is ordered now :-).
My question to you people is, is there any other book that i must read, to know all about absinth?(or at least the most necessary).
I also got another question. I've seen some people post here that czech absinth is basicly crap. Why? My first absinth (and only one up till now) was a Staroplzenecky, wich i enjoyed (and still am enjoying). Is it such a difference?

Thanks in advance
Absomphe
Bottom line is...one likes what one likes...but Czech "absinthe" is NOT absinthe. You can call a pig a goat...guess what...it's still a pig!
Czech "absinthe" doesn't louche because the Czehs are not fond of anise. They simply capitalized on the ability to create what they hoped would be a trendy market. They lucked out. But regarding traditional absinthe versus the Czech...there is absolutely NO relation whatsoever, except alcohol content! Nevermind the literature available about absinthe, try some Emile. Experience, like a picture, is worth a thousand words!
Morgoth
Well, you are probably right. I got no clue. All i ever had was a Staroplzenecky. I've been looking for the Emile for over a week now, it ain't really easy for me. I can't get a visa, and it's hard over here to find someone that is willing to help me with it (crappy Belgium). But i'll keep on searching of course. Everyone says Un Emile is great, so i will find out some time soon pirate2.gif .
Anyway, I won't leave the books tongue.gif. I'm too interested in the history of the drink for that. La Fée Verte cast a spell on me, and I seem to like it biggrin.gif.

fairy.gif
Kirk
Da brudder has spoken .
May I recomend a Francois Guy? Also a very nice absinthE. Absinth is what they call what is not absinthe. Spelling it that way could generate a contract on your life around here,This is a quiet neighborhood , the family likes it like dat.
Sorry just kidding.
Morgoth
you sure may, kirk. I heard many positive things about it too. There are many others i'd like to taste too, like the Segarra, all Emile's, Kubler, etc. All i managed to get so far was that bottle of Staroplzenecky, 'cause a friend of mine visited Czech Republic and brought me a bottle. But i still got many years ahead of me (i hope sp_ike.gif ), and i will taste alot of them biggrin.gif. I'm just not good at having patience wink.gif.
Kirk
Quick some one help this lad out !!! Where can you get a decent bottle in Belgium?
Morgoth
Unfortunatly, nowhere. Luckily possession is already legal because of the european laws, but selling the drink is still as illegal as can be as far as i'm concerned. Anyway, i know a guy that is a few years older of me, and can get hold of a visa card. Hopefully i can convince him. You guys really made me curious about that Emile smile.gif.
I_B_Puffin
Barnaby Conrads book is popular here because it's in English. You might want to read some of Madam Delahayes, and Benoit Noels books.
Kallisti
For books in English, check my Book Whores Absinthe page:

http://www.bookwhores.com/absinthe-idx.html

And for the harder to find Delahaye books in french, here are some links:

http://www.feeverte.net/absinthiana/vendors.html
Morgoth
Thank you for the help gentlemen.
Wolfgang
If you'r Belgian, not only should you read Delahaye's books but you should also do the trip down to her museum in Auvers sur Oise (near Paris) as soon as you can !
Nolamour
Thank you for the help gentlemen.

Kal? Does he know something we don't? I'm concerned.
boobs.gif
Kallisti
boobs.gif Oh, I wasn't gonna say nuthin'... he bein' new and all. boobs.gif
Morgoth
Kal? Does he know something we don't? I'm concerned.

Did I miss anything?

Wolfgang, visiting the museum is also a trip i'm planning for next summer wink.gif . But i have much to learn yet tongue.gif guillotine.gif .

Edit:
I already found my mistake, sorry Kallisti, didn't knew you were female.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.