Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-ban pre-release pre-announcement
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Oxygenee
Those interested in a new batch of pre-ban tasting samples (for a top quality brand never offered as samples before), might want to make certain that they've signed up for the monthly newsletter of the Virtual Absinthe Museum, which you can do about halfway down the page here.

Just some advice….use it….don't use it….
Deluge
I'm game!

abs-cheers.gif
Stroller
I'm in!

This better be all that Fredie!
Fredie
Well…. I have no idea what he's offering…..
Pernod Fils…. Ed…. or…..?

also were it's come from or even what bottle…..

a bottle from the same cache I tasted could possibly taste very different….
all I know is what I had was fantastic…..

worth every penny….
Donnie Darko
Given that he said from a brand never offered as samples before, it's definitely neither Pernod Fils or Edouard.

I'm excited to say the least.
Fredie
This may be a stupid (& obvious to some)question….
but what does a vintage bottle of Pernod Fils (ie: like the Cannes Cache stuff)
go for price wise vs. a Bottle of Terragona Pernod?
Greenmeanie
I'm in!
Lord Stanley
QUOTE(Fredie @ Nov 8 2005, 04:34 PM) *

what does a vintage bottle of Pernod Fils (ie: like the Cannes Cache stuff)
go for price wise vs. a Bottle of Terragona Pernod?

Pre-ban $3000+

Tarragona $700-$1200 (?)

I was offered a bottle of Tarragona within the past year for 500 Euros. The exchange rate at the time coupled with the delivery charges would have cost me upwards of $700. Given the cost and my unfamiliarity with the seller, I decided to pass. I do know who eventually bought the bottle (someone who wasn't affected by the high Euro to USD exchange rate) and the sale went fine.
hartsmar
If this is what I think it might be, this is one fine brand.
crosby
This is just like talking about an active ebay auction. Some of us might not be able to be near a computer when the event occurs. frusty.gif
crosby
BTW, this isn’t aimed at Oxy for giving a heads up. I’m being critical of the cheerleaders with the “once in a lifetime” attitude. I think that kind of hype is just as bad as what people oppose in the discussion of active auctions.
hartsmar
Maybe so. I have no idea what you're talking about.

QUOTE(crosby @ Nov 9 2005, 01:04 AM) *

This is just like talking about an active ebay auction. Some of us might not be able to be near a computer when the event occurs. frusty.gif

I could program an "Oxy sample sale sniper" for you. You could pay me in pre-ban samples…
Fredie
QUOTE(crosby @ Nov 9 2005, 01:17 AM) *

BTW, this isn’t aimed at Oxy for giving a heads up. I’m being critical of the cheerleaders with the “once in a lifetime” attitude. I think that kind of hype is just as bad as what people oppose in the discussion of active auctions.

You could just Email him and ask him about it….. frusty.gif
crosby
I thought about it, but decided that would be asking for an unfair advantage.
Fredie
Go ahead…… live dangeriously….. fireworks.gif
crosby
Icarus

(just wanted to be kewl)…
sea_of_lament
Check oxygenee.com

It's sold out already!!!
Deluge
Gotta' be quick!
Donnie Darko
DAMN YOU OVERAGRESSIVE JUNK MAIL FILTER!!! It put oxy's email right into my junkmail box, in spite of having dozens of other messages from Oxygenee.com without a problem. Of course I didn't notice it till 20 minutes ago.
The piece of shit was still in "learning" mode, so apparently it thought info@oxygenee.com was junk even though everything else from oxygenee.com isn't recognized as junk.

While my mail filter just saved me $185, I'm still livid. GRRRRRRRRRR….
Gertz
A sudden attack of financial responsibility saved me $185.

Damn those attacks. I wonder if there is some kind of medication that will cure them.
Lord Stanley
I probably had the link in time to order a sample.
I didn't feel the need to try it badly enough to spend $185 on a single glass.
That's awfully steep even for a chance at such a unique experience.
Grim
'Zactly. You badass, you.
sunsetbrew
It did seem steep for me, but what do i know. I went for it, thinking "what the hell, you only live once". If it sucks, i may never do it again. Part of me wants its to just so I will save future expenses while another part just wants to savor the experience. Which side will win?
The Standard Deviant
QUOTE(Gertz @ Nov 10 2005, 11:20 PM) *

A sudden attack of financial responsibility saved me $185.

Damn those attacks. I wonder if there is some kind of medication that will cure them.

Thujone IV?

Has the duty already been paid on samples like this? I mean a hundred years ago.
Fredie
QUOTE(sunsetbrew @ Nov 10 2005, 08:56 PM) *

It did seem steep for me, but what do i know. I went for it, thinking "what the hell, you only live once". If it sucks, i may never do it again. Part of me wants its to just so I will save future expenses while another part just wants to savor the experience. Which side will win?

if it's anywhere near as good as the cannes cache pernod it wont suck….
abs-cheers.gif
Artemis
It's not going to suck. I've heard it was a product aimed at the femmes, that alone should make it interesting.
Donnie Darko
I received mine. Oxy was kind enough to forgive my idiocy in not flagging info@oxygenee.com as a non-spam address and part with the only sample he had left.

I probably won't have a proper glass till the holidays, but I took a very tiny taste neat and it is seems to me they used Marc (or some incarnation of distilled grape pomace) as a base alcohol. It smells completely different than any other old absinthe I've tried. Exciting.
Kirk
A real sweetheart of a guy sent me a shot of it on his birthday.
I should probably be polite and drink it right away and give him my appreciation.
It's so special though I told him I was going to be a dog and save it for a moment when I can really enjoy it.
It smells like candy.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Nov 18 2005, 11:07 PM) *

I received mine. Oxy was kind enough to forgive my idiocy in not flagging info@oxygenee.com as a non-spam address

Actually, the initial idiocy was mine. In my newsletter, I regularly highlight new additions to the Virtual Absinthe Museum. In describing one such addition in this month's newsletter I used - quite innocently - the phrases 'Playboy and Penthouse', 'scantily clad models', 'sexual promiscuity' and 'marital aids'. Unsurprisingly -with the benefit of hindsight - this caused the mail to be blocked by a number of spam-filters.
sea_of_lament
Got mine today as well abs-cheers.gif

Now I have to get a better glass for this; if you're going to drink pre-ban then do it right. I really wanted two samples but was only able to fetch one. Now I have a constant bickering inside my head "should I? should'nt I?"
frusty.gif
Deluge
Looks like I'll get mine Monday.
Oxygenee
I'd recommend paying particular attention to using ice-cold water, and to adding the water very, very slowly with this absinthe.
Deluge
Is the thin louche common with the Premeir Fils brand?
Deluge
I received my sample today!

Thanks Oxy once again for such a great opportunity!
I will have pics up soon as well as a review.

I did take a wiff off the bottle and I agree that this is a much different absinthe compared to vintage Pernod Fils.

Oh, I wish it were 5:00pm!

Anyone try their sample yet? Thoughts?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Nov 18 2005, 02:18 PM) *

'Playboy and Penthouse', 'scantily clad models', 'sexual promiscuity' and 'marital aids'.

I thought that was what I was ordering, but I was disappointed to find that all I received was some tiny bottle of herbal body oil that didn't even get the job done. What a ripoff. Next time I'm ordering from Betty.
brucer
I used - quite innocently - the phrases 'Playboy and Penthouse', 'scantily clad models', 'sexual promiscuity' and 'marital aids'. Unsurprisingly -with the benefit of hindsight - this caused the mail to be blocked by a number of spam-filters.

Imagine if your business was based in Scunthorpe. blink.gif

Bruce
Absomphe
Or Blueballs, or Intercourse, Pa.
Stroller
Knob Lick, Kentucky

blink.gif
sunsetbrew
I got mine today. Now to find a special moment to focus on it. i can't wait. Thanks Oxy!
sunsetbrew
Anybody tried theirs yet? I am still awaiting the right time.
Deluge
I finished my sample a week or so ago.
To tell you the truth it was not quite what I was expecting.

I was able to sit down and write a review about my experience but I am waiting till I get my photos before posting the review.

I've chatted with another forum member who had come to a similar conclusion about their sample in contrast to the contents of another bottle of Premier Fils. I am interested to see what others think of it.

Take care!

celticgent
maybe you didn't carmelize the sugar long enough
Deluge
Well, I put the glass in the microwave, you know, to burn off all the alcohol first. Then I kept lighting that little lump of sugar till my spoon was black.

Hmmm. I think it was long enough?

Maybe eating that bag of salsa fries with my sample was a bad idea?
celticgent
i like to use a crème brûlée torch.
Deluge
I use oxy-acetylene!
celticgent
no need to be a name dropper.
Oxygenee
I'm very interested to hear comments on these Premier Fils samples, especially from anyone who has tasted it from another bottle as well. I found it very different from other vintage absinthes I've tasted - lighter and more subtle (with perhaps a hint of violets on the nose), with a lightly translucent rather than an opaque louche. It doesn't have the blockbuster quality of say Pernod or Berger, but it's subtlety and elegance grows on you.

I compared notes with someone in France who has a bottle from a completely different source, and his impressions were broadly in line with my own.

The samples originated from a wel stored bottle, with - as you can see in the photos on my Oxy site - a good level and a fully intact tin seal still covering the cork, so my feeling is that, while there are always variations from bottle to bottle when you're dealing with century old liquor, these samples are likely to represent the basic taste profile of the brand pretty fairly.
hartsmar
Here's what I prefer to use. Portable yet powerful. Caramelizes anything in no-time.

Deluge
Vintage Premier Fils 1910-1915

COLOR BEFORE WATER 6/10
The color of this sample seemed to have been preserved fairly well. The bottle made note that the coloring process was entirely natural so it’s pretty amazing that the color was still a bit green. I gave it a six because I felt that even though it had been naturally colored, visually it seemed rather unimpressive. It was similar in color to Un Emile with a slightly greener hue. Perhaps originally it was much more vibrant?

LOUCHE ACTION 5/10
Slowly adding ice-cold water from an absinthe fountain brought forth a louche that was particularly slow and weak. The swirl of gradient lines gradually twirled about the glass before the contents became semi opaque.

COLOR AFTER WATER 5/10
The color of this absinthe after water was a slightly cloudy yellow green. Again it seemed similar to the louched quality of the older Un Emile’s.

AROMA 20/30
The nose of this sample neat reveals a nice wine spirit. It was a bit heady and in my opinion it masked a lot of the other fragrances. Its bouquet was indeed more floral than it was spicy. I could smell a hint of that aged hyssop “baby powder” scent but it was far less pronounced than it was in vintage Pernod Fils or Edouard Pernod. All in all the aroma was very nice.

MOUTHFEEL 5/10
The Premier Fils was just not a very full-bodied absinthe. It was however very smooth and pleasant to drink, it just did not have the incredible silkiness of the Pernods.

TASTE 14/20
Wine spirit. A lot of wine spirit! Behind the wine sprit, the flavor like the aroma had more of a floral nuance. The taste was pretty simple, not as complex or spicy as other absinthes. The bottle notes that it was in fact flavored with alpine flowers and other natural herbal aromatics. I have a feeling that over time the flowers used to flavor the Premier Fils had mellowed considerably behind the flavor of the wine spirits. Almost fading their essence’s away.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 6/10
Although age has not had a major effect on the color of this absinthe I believe that it has mellowed the aroma and flavor to a point where the alcohol base overpowers the floral nuances that I believe once set this brand apart from some of the other absinthes of its day. The wine spirit was of good quality but I feel that it was a bit stronger than the other flavors and aromas. I am not disappointed in this absinthe by any means. The low score reflects the louche and the way I “think” age has effected this absinthes taste and aroma. I can’t wait to see what others thought of this rare spirit!

Total: 61/100

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.