Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vendor Guide : absinth24.net
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > The Fee Verte Absinthe Buyers Guide > The Fee Verte Absinthe Vendors Guide
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Marc
https://www.absinth24.net/

Haven't ordered from them but heard some stories on this forum...
Breson
In the last 2 years I have used them more than any other vendor with no trouble whatsoever. Even though more than one shipping option is allowed, I would always choose courier shipping.
eric
This is the guy who has shills planted at every newbie absinthe forum on the net. He has a huge selection of really bad Absinthe, and his site looks like it is designed to get the uninformed novice addicted to porkchops. Three Strikes and you are out!

het.gif
jacal01
And who exactly is shilling this site? I've noticed no one unabashed endorsing his service except maybe Breson and me, and those are wholly based on our own personal experiences.

Andy has offered me personalized attention, great package pricing, and courier service that has the package arriving before I can even track it via internet. The only proviso I can see is the occasional hiatus he takes from immediately responding to emails because of attending to personal affairs, and I can't really fault him for keeping his priorities straight.

You don't have the order the Czechsinths, you know. He carries all the same inventory as the usual suspects, except for the Jades and maybe the Duplais. You, sir, may be guilty of offering opinion based on prejudicial perception rather than personal experience. And that would be shilling of another sort, wouldn't it?
sea_of_lament
QUOTE(jacal01 @ Dec 8 2005, 09:09 PM) *

Andy has offered me personalized attention, great package pricing, and courier service that has the package arriving before I can even track it via internet.

Ditto. People may not agree with his stock of absinth, but he does carry most of the quality absinthe on the market, except Jade. However, on his services he's been impeccable from my experience.
eric
I am so sorry, oops I was wrong ,wrong wrong, please forgive me.

NEW: 100 mg Absinthe "Century" 55° - 0.75 ltr. 99 US$

Wow, finally we got our own 100 mg absinthe !

Its made exclusively for absinth24.net, so you wont get it somewhere else.

As you might know these days King of Spirits GOLD is the only 100 mg absinth available. And you know what ? That cant really be called absinth. Its extreme, very,very,very bitter in taste and some say its undrinkable. And the price of 180 US$ for a bottle ? Ha, that not fair to our customers, to spend so much money for an nearly undrinkable "herb-mixture".

I stand corrected. Andy is indeed a Grate Man.

Ari
Good service, good selection if you know what you are looking for.

Wouldn't recommend him to newbies. Too much crap and thujone marketing.
On myspace he claims he send along a sample of better absinthe with each "century" absinth to try and get thujone people to understand real absinthe. If he does or not I don't know, but he only gets half points since he could have done this with other thujone absinth and not bother getting his own highest thujonez brand.

Jacal: I'm not sure he was talking about on feeverte but on other forums. On myspace there are a few people that spam groups with absinth24 links, for example.
eric
He does the same thing at yahoo groups as well. Call me old fashioned but, I just kind of find that to be a bit distasteful.
Head_prosthesis
He who is without sin,

is not a member of this here forum.
eric
Yes Head, It is true
eric
"And who exactly is shilling this site?"

I would hardly consider this to be a newbie site.
jacal01
I believe you got a similar attitude from La Fee via Alan Moss, and before it was all said and done, board consensus seemed to be fawning all over his benevolent responses. What he said was essentially that that is where the current market is, so that if the typical absinthe customer elects to stay ignorant of the subject matter, then they will pander to his misinformed taste and pocketbook. That doesn't necessarily make them immoral, only amorally pragmatic. I doubt that either distributor is guilty of originating the misinformation, only in helping perpetuate it. If the clientele becomes better informed, then I'm sure that their marketing priorities will reflect it. A paragon of idealistic virtue and role model defender of absinthium values, maybe not. Profit oriented, most assuredly. I'm not trying to defend his choices here, but I'm not going to pass judgement on him, either. My choice.

However, I think the issue in discussion is how good Andy's services are for the informed absintheur that uses this board resources, and I think that in that respect they are equal to any, better than most, and with certain advantages offered that make him a preferred vendor.

Besides, we're all grate in some respect, hmmmm?
Stroller
I don't think I've heard or read that there is an issue with service. The issue always seems to be the misinformation that is on his site. I guess if that's the only way he can sell a bottle, it's his business. I just choose not to support him.

Call andy for the Trip Balz™ 800mg chop.gif super dupper flamming czechsinthe.
Ari
Jacal I agree, except that few people here really need a vendors guide. It will be the newbies who will use it most and a site that doesn't offer a huge amount of thujone and czech junk that can provide a confusing experience for a newbie while still providing good service is ranked higher on my list than one which does.
sea_of_lament
QUOTE(Ari @ Dec 8 2005, 11:02 PM) *

Jacal I agree, except that few people here really need a vendors guide. It will be the newbies who will use it most and a site that doesn't offer a huge amount of chop.gif and czech junk that can provide a confusing experience for a newbie while still providing good service is ranked higher on my list than one which does.

I agree as well, except that after reading a number of 'testimonials' from andy's site and from other places, it seems some people are looking for these products. And as long as people are looking for these products there will be someone out there to make them and market them. Go figure, there are people out there that want to drink absinthe but don't like anise wacko.gif just so they can say that they drink "absinthe" and so there are "absinths" in the market to target those people. There are also people that seem to be unwilling in learning or hearing otherwise; we've had those people here before. In fact, just head over to the "chernobl" thread...
eric
Thank you Stroller!

Now it is time to go to sleep.
jacal01
QUOTE(eric @ Dec 8 2005, 10:13 PM) *

I would hardly consider this to be a newbie site.

Have you looked around lately?
Absomphe
:::checks name:::

You got that right, Jacal!
eric
Have you looked around lately?

Point taken
Breson
QUOTE(eric @ Dec 8 2005, 11:55 AM) *

He has a huge selection of really bad Absinthe, and his site looks like it is designed to get the uninformed novice addicted to porkchops. Three Strikes and you are out!

het.gif

Are you confused as to what to order and thinking you might order Czechsinthe? If not why do you care?
I don't drink the czechsinthe because it is crap, but he has most premium brands as well. The liquor store I buy my single barrell bourbon at has Jack Daniels and Pikesville Rye right down the shelf from what I want. Should I not shop there, because they have a sale ad for Soutern Comfort in the window?

I am curious as to why Alandia (I have nothing at all against them), with their burning sugar on the ad makes the vendors list here, with their impressive selection of Czechsinthe and thujon notations.

Markus (Who I have nothing against as well) sells Ulex and Elixier, are you afraid you might buy those when you order from him?

The fact of the matter is business is business. Many successful businesses, have a wide selection products available for a diverse customer base. Is this wrong? Not as far as I can see.

It is easy to assertain what brands a vendor carries by browsing their web page. Order the ones you like and avoid the ones you don't.

I think this forum would be better served by focusing on service experiences with vendors rather than getting your panties in a bunch over a brand or two you don't care for.
Ari
To speak for myself Alandia probably wouldn't rate super high on my list of what to put on the vendor guide because of their fire and thujone. (you might notice that the current list hasn't really been updated in awhile, I'm going to assume it will be replaced similar to the buyers guide).

The fact of the matter is that Absinth24.net contains a large amount of czech and highest thujone products and business may be business but people here don't have to recommend them if they don't think they should.
To repeat myself I think the vendor guide is more for newbies than the experienced here. Because of that I wouldn't recommend Absinth24.net over some of the equally reliable vendors that don't hype thujone or sell as much crap.
Grim
Support crap today, you'll buy crap tomorrow.

Those of you that support (and receive "support" -- be it reduced costs, free samples, etc.) would do everyone a favor by encouraging him to offer a better selection, rather than ignoring the excess of shit he has on stock for a ruby or two in the pile.
grey boy
Plus newbies that don't know know shit from their own shit,
will see good reviews and figure that it's OK to order whatever they stock.
They would be wrong, but HEY! He's a good vendor heart.gif !
eric
What you recommend, you promote.
Stroller
Breson Dec 10 2005, 07:57 PM
I am curious as to why Alandia (I have nothing at all against them), with their burning sugar on the ad makes the vendors list here, with their impressive selection of Czechsinthe and thujon notations.

I don't support Alandia for the same reasons, the foundation of the sale is based on a lie. I hear they provide good service, but all that means to me is that they are good at delivering the shitsinthe they carry.

They might as well give away a free bottle of miracle diet pills with every order because that is the caliber of vendor they choose to be.
Breson
QUOTE(grey boy @ Dec 11 2005, 02:13 AM) *

Plus newbies that don't know know shit from their own shit,
will see good reviews and figure that it's OK to order whatever they stock.
They would be wrong, but HEY! He's a good vendor heart.gif !

Only if they choose to read the vendors list without reading the FAQ.

But if that indeed is the case the reccomended vendors list should contain only 2 vendors.
grey boy
Good point,
hopefully they'll read all this give and take
and know what what to do.
Donnie Darko
We're just being selective, and prefer to reward quality, while not recommending vendors that specialize in mediocre products.

I'll come right out and say it: We're snobby about absinthe. Most enthusiasts are snobby about whatever it is they're enthusiastic about.

Nothing wrong with that.
grey boy
Agreed.

Also,
can someone kill one of those "what" s in my post.
Breson
I truly believe that absinthe, as in most every other type of alcoholic beverage, has a learning curve, so to speak. As drinkers become more mature, with more refined tastes, they gravitate towards better brands. There was a time, in my much much younger days, that Budweiser and Jack Daniels were the beverages of choice. Now I would do without drinking, should they be my only choices. Most people I know in my age group have similar taste evolution. As I mentioned earlier, you would be hard pressed to find even a high end liquor retailer (in the States) that doesn't have both Bud and Jack in stock. I can easily walk right past them to the items I need.

I have ordered for a number of vendors and know what service those vendors provided to me. I am curious as to the service experiences with other vendors I have yet to order from. I can see what they stock, by visiting their web page.
Oxygenee
The type of products a vendor carries, and even more importantly, the language he uses in describing them, are definitely relevant.

The comparison to beer or whiskey isn't a fair one btw: Jack Daniels is not an ersatz whiskey, and it's not marketed in a way intended to cynically mislead uneducated consumers. JD is a perfectly acceptable introduction to whiskey, King of Spirits isn't a good introduction to absinthe at any level.
Absomphe
QUOTE(grey boy @ Dec 11 2005, 09:12 PM) *

Agreed.

Also,
can someone kill one of those "what" s in my post.

Which what, and why?

They sound sound so wonderfully British upper-crusty together.
Breson
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 12 2005, 09:11 AM) *

The type of products a vendor carries, and even more importantly, the language he uses in describing them, are definitely relevant.

If this is the case, I again suggest you consider shortening the list to 2 vendors.
Ari
Well I think the entire point of the vendor guide section here is to update the list.

I think more than two can be added. Andy has great service but I would still recommend people who have some Czech products over someone who has the entire Czech republic of absinth and has his own line of 100mg pork chip absinth. I just can't recommend someone who goes out of his way to get his own line of high thujone absinth. It seems a bit hypocritical to say thujone is marketing crap and czech absinth is crap and not absinth but put someone who markets thujone and czech absinth high on the vendor list. Maybe if he had service that was insanely greater than anyone else.
jacal01
Can’t beat his service and price. End of story. Define insane.

In this current environment of scrambling to find affordable and suitable commercial absinthe choices on a limited budget, like Doubs or Serpis or substitutes like arak, ouzo, pastis, etc., I think package deal pricing is a real consideration for most of us, newbies and absinthe enthusiasts alike. Those here who insist on maintaining loftier ideals with our business usually have alternative options at their disposal, or perhaps deeper pockets. And in that respect Absinth.24 is a viable and noteworthy vendor. A knowledgeable buyer is realistically the only conditional requisite to utilizing his services.

If product and shipping costs were truly subject to the forces of fair market pricing and equitable competition among distributors, then maybe Andy can be schooled on his marketing techniques and priorities by withholding of our discretionary funds. Otherwise, I question the existence of collusive pricing in today’s absinthe market relative to manufacturing and/or distribution costs as perhaps an equally potential moral issue.
Grim
I'd like Andreas to permanently attach your e-mail address to the next bottle of «« Absinthe King of Spirits GOLD »» that he sells, or any of the other 25 Czech labels that he offers.
Grim
For those new to the board, tread carefully. Stick to the Swiss absinthes like those produced by Kübler, Bugnon; and a few of the French absinthes: I can't honestly say what mileage you'll get out of the VdF/BdF, as my tastes have changed; the Guy is uni-dimensional and easy on a new palate, much as the Kübler; some would also suggest the Austrian Montmartre, I haven't been sold on it yet.

Anything else you buy, you're sure to open it up and be pissed the rest of the time that bottle stays on the shelf -- but please be pissed at jacal and especially Andreas.
Breson
huh.gif
Ari
A new buyer? No fear, absinth24 has a "first time buyers" section. Now all you have to choose is if you want anise, no anise or high chop.gif.

I find it hypocritical to criticize manufactuers for chop.gif marketing but recommend vendors who do the same.
Head_prosthesis
You'd think there was only one way to obtain "Absinthe".
Ari
You're right, my vodka and store bought herb mix is so much better than all that fake crap.
I also add a bit of lighter fluid so it will burn better, like traditional absinthe. The lighter fluid brings out the thujone so I can watch the walls turn green. It's like a coming out party for thujone.
Grim
QUOTE(Breson @ Dec 12 2005, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Dec 12 2005, 09:11 AM) *

If this is the case, I again suggest you consider shortening the list to 2 vendors.

You'd be satisfied with a list that long?
Head_prosthesis
Sounds like Ari's hosting the next Louchedfest!

Steve
Sausage fest at Ari's! cdog-plain.gif I'm in.
jacal01
QUOTE(Grim @ Dec 12 2005, 06:53 PM) *

Anything else you buy, you're sure to open it up and be pissed the rest of the time that bottle stays on the shelf -- but please be pissed at jacal and especially Andreas.

That’s right. Blame me for all your own wrong personal choices.

They call the suppression of available opportunities for your own good paternalism. Helmet laws are a good example of this. But if unimpeachable credentials are prerequisite and conditional warnings are not adequate, then a list of two is exactly appropriate for this forum.

But I’m merely touting a bargain here. If that’s not an important consideration for acquiring your absinthe, then by all means choose one of the forthright benchmark distributors of CO. Or some other means, as the case may be.

BTW, what commercials are you sold on these days? Clandestine and...? You know, some say at first blush Clandestine and Kübler are indistinguishable.
Donnie Darko
I don't really care what they sell, I just care HOW they sell it. If they were to only say "Czech absinth is a very different beverage from traditionally distilled French and Swiss absinthe, and appeals most to people who dislike anise", that would be OK with me.

I have no problem with people selling Czech absinth, as long as they're honest about what it is and don't spread BS about absinthe. However, reading the rubbish on Absinth24.net, they speak about absinthe in almost the same way prohibitionists did, and that slanders the beverage.

My favourite wine/liquor store in NYC, Astor Wines, puts all the shit wine in the back, and all the shit liquor on the very bottom shelf where you don't notice it, meanwhile the high quality stuff is prominently displayed in large well-marked aisles or in museum-like glass cases. That's all Absinth24.net would have to do to get my seal of approval, but instead chop.gif, flaming and balz tripping are #1, and quality beverages aren't given nearly the prominence they deserve.

If all you're interested in is cheap absinthe and don't mind wading through all the crap on that site to get it, and don't mind supporting a distributor who furthers the absinthe myth rather than demolishing it, go ahead, but they're not getting any of my money.
Steve
QUOTE(jacal01 @ Dec 13 2005, 09:03 AM) *

You know, some say at first blush Clandestine and Kübler are indistinguishable.

That is soooo not true.
jacal01
QUOTE(Breson @ Apr 3 2005, 01:55 AM) *

I think that is true, but they taste frighteningly similar. Side by side it would be hard to tell the new Clandestine and the Kubler 53 apart IMO.

QUOTE(Lord Stanley @ Apr 3 2005, 07:40 AM) *

I initially thought that the Kubler 53 was almost identical to the Clandestine. It's certainly better than their old 45 and 57 versions. After trying each a few times, the Clandestine seems to have a smoother, more floral quality to it than the Kubler which has a slight licorice-y taste. At least they seem to have fixed the funky tails problem.

Steve
OK, it's true that "some say" but it ain't true that they are indistinguishable. If that were the case, I'd be buying a lot more Kübler.
Head_prosthesis
Some would insinuate that:

The discerning Absinthusiast has no commercial
resource to go to for good, authentic Absinthe.
Other than a bathtub still.

*snort!*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.