Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wine Spirit
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
CourteJester
I have been searching through the forums for a couple of days hoping this was not a repeat post. I was just wondering if anyone knew what type of wine spirits were used for the preban absinthe.
Donnie Darko
Most of it was made from fermented and distilled grape pomace, which is basically all parts of the grape plant, including some leftovers from winemaking. It's usually called Marc in France, and is basically France's version of Italy's Grappa, although they have their differences in taste and aroma.
Selmac
Is it available in the US?
CourteJester
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Dec 7 2005, 08:24 AM) *

Most of it was made from fermented and distilled grape pomace, which is basically all parts of the grape plant, including some leftovers from winemaking. It's usually called Marc in France, and is basically France's version of Italy's Grappa, although they have their differences in taste and aroma.

Thank you for the info! Do you know what type of grapes made the best spirits(i am assuming it would be the same type that wine makers use for thier "best"). Also what kind is it dirived from i.e. Merlot types, pinot nior, etc..

Thank you
Greytail
QUOTE(Selmac @ Dec 7 2005, 08:37 AM) *

Is it available in the US?

Yes, I have seen marc in the local liquor mart. Don't know anything else about it really.
turangalila
Marc can be quite tasty. As I recall, they serve Marc de Provence with Charentais melons in France, and the two go together very nicely, especially when the melons are perfect.

Spiritscorner and Bevmo both seem to carry various forms of Marc, although none of them resemble exactly what I remember drinking.
Donnie Darko
Good Marc seems to have a fruity character to it that is mellower than the gritty bite Grappa can have. It's probably just due to differences between French and Italian grapes, since as far as I know, the process for making Grappa and Marc is pretty much the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.