Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-ban Pernod Fils review and photos
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Marc
If you're interested, Heure Verte has updated his website with a Pernod Fils review : http://www.heureverte.com/index.php?option...=145&Itemid=184

It's all in french, but you can still look at the photos (click to enlarge).
Fredie
Mine wasn't quite that brown.... still lovely though.
Patlow
yeah, i still need to open/sample/review that... maybe this weekend... i'll take photos as well. waiting for new glasses to come in.
Deluge
I would really like to see more reviews of pre-ban absinthes on this site. I know that there are a few members on this forum that have also sampled some pretty impressive vintage labels so… get the reviews in! Ahem… Ted! OXY! Hartsmar! Simon! Donnie! Grim! Get em' up!
Heure Verte
Yes, last thuesday was one of the most important day in my life as I had (at last !) the chance to get a vintage Pernod Fils, after months of research, meetings, askings, promesses and so.
It was so hard to get. Not impossible to find in France by the way, but the guys who possess these bottles are hard to convince and plus, they have several vintage bottles !
I had to take some pics and describe the feeling of enjoying this piece of history.
The color is very brown indeed and I was very surprised. The absinthe is of course very good ; and with it, I had the strange feeling of a monster asleep, "une main de fer dans un gant de velours" as we say in french, don't know how to translate it, but could be an iron hand in a velvet glove. Sort of a powerful softness.
The thing with that sort of sacred absinthe is that we feel it, it's not about drinking, there's something else, it's beyond the taste and the smell !
But I have to say that I had the pleasure of drinking Pernod Fils Tarragona also : the vintage one is obviously most fine and soft, but I was surprised : the two are close. The recipes must be similar.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Deluge @ Dec 7 2005, 01:08 PM) *

I would really like to see more reviews of pre-ban absinthes on this site. I know that there are a few members on this forum that have also sampled some pretty impressive vintage labels so… get the reviews in! Ahem… Ted! OXY! Hartsmar! Simon! Donnie! Grim! Get em' up!

Haven't found the right moment when I've had no distractions yet. I'll drink it before Xmas though.

I'm hopefully going to extract a sample from my sealed Tarragona bottle too for the sake of contrast. Just gotta get the syringe.

Never had Pre-Ban PF. At this point the only Pre-Ban I've had is Edouard.
tabreaux
One thing to note when evaluating vintage samples is one can expect some variability from bottle to bottle with respect to aging, which can significantly impact the intensity of flavors, as well as certain aspects of the flavor profile itself. This being the case, I've sampled some very strong examples as well as very weathered ones, with little apparent aesthetic difference and seemingly little rhyme or reason as to why.
Fredie
Ted, Have you had any of the 'Cannes cache' Pernod?
And if so, how would you rate it as far as vintage stuff goes?
tabreaux
I don't believe I have a bottle from that cache unless it was removed prior to the cache being announced/sold, so I cannot comment. I would expect however that the contents from a single cache should be relatively consistent from bottle to bottle.
Fredie

cool, thanks.
absintheglass-glow2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.