Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage C.F. Berger ca. 1890-1900
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Deluge
Vintage C.F. Berger 1890-1900

COLOR BEFORE WATER 9/10
The color of the Berger sample was lovely! It was a pleasant shade of amber and although it did not contain any trace of the original green it still looked quite stunning. I did find the color to be rather different compared to the various samples of Edouard Pernod and Pernod Fils that I have had in the past. The Berger was in contrast to the Pernod much lighter and had a charming warm glow to it. I would love to see what shade of green this was before the original color faded!

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
After placing my glass under the fountain the louche began slowly. Gradually as more water was added, a small cloud formed at the bottom of the glass and was soon lifted to the top revealing a thick louche crowned by a beautiful translucent amber band. Watching the Berger louche alongside the Jade Verte Suisse I was impressed to see that they louched almost identically to one another, which leads me to believe that Mr. Breaux is in fact using the same recipe. I noticed the same thing while louching Edouard Pernod along side Jade Edouard.

COLOR AFTER WATER 8/10
The final stage of the louche was very thick and it became a nice shade of foggy amber.

AROMA 29/30
To quote Mr. Hartsmar…“this Is the garden!” I believe his every word. The scent of the Berger was wonderful! The bouquet was impressive and it did in fact fill the room with its fragrant floral aroma. I could definitely detect the unique scent of aged hyssop in this sample. This scent has been described as a dusky aroma similar to talc or baby powder. To me it seems similar to the sent of a light cinnamon. There were lovely notes of aged anis and wormwood that had come out boldly along with other warm spices. Absolutely brilliant! The Berger had a rich musky/spicy character that I have not witnessed in any other modern absinthe!

MOUTH-FEEL 9/10
Not as thick as the Pernod Fils, but still nice and creamy!

TASTE 18/20
This was a damn good absinthe! I would drink this and Pernod Fils exclusively if I could! They are both amazing and quite a bit different when compared to one another. The Berger was, spicy, herbal, and very floral. All in all it was very complex yet it was so well balanced. After water had been added there were absolutely no overpowering flavors. The unification of flavors made it difficult to pick out any ingredients that are not commonly used in Swiss or French absinthe. The anise and fennel were paired well with good wormwood and I could detect notes that reminded me of cinnamon, pepper, coriander, along with hints of citrus. Although I found that the Berger was definitely on par with Pernod Fils I did notice very distinct differences in the way that their flavors were balanced. I found the Berger to be a bit spicier than the Pernod. Perhaps the Berger used a little more star anise and a little less fennel? All in all I felt that the Berger was amazing! The lingering quality on the palate lasted forever! Much longer than any commercial or clandestine out there, an hour after having a glass of Berger, the flavor still lingered on my palate!

OVERALL IMPRESSION 10/10
I am glad that I had the chance to sample vintage Berger. It was interesting doing a side-by-side comparison with its modern counterpart. I found them to be similar in many ways in regard to quality but the flavor and aroma were a little different. I think that the major differences were due to the age of the sample. I believe that if they were both bottled on the same date and stored well they would in fact taste nearly identical. One difference that set them apart to me would have to be the base alcohol. I think that the process used in making the base alcohol for the Berger is quite different than the process used for the Verte Suisse. The Berger does have over a hundred years of age on the Verte Suisse so I guess it is hard to make such speculations!

Total 92/100

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
jmfranc
Very interesting to see the side by side comparison.

I like the Berger the best of the four prebans I've had.

There's a thread going on about how people didn't really enjoy the taste back in the day. After drinking this Berger I have to say they were nuts! How could you not fall in love with this one, Pernod Fils, or the Edouard?
justabob
You should keep that martin in its case!

abs-cheers.gif
Deluge
I always keep it in its case! The only time that it sits on a stand is when I am playing it and need to set it down for a moment! You have a Golden Era D-18 right? They sound great! I have a plain old D-18 and an HD-28. They make me very happy!

Wild Bill Turkey
And the banjo is a Gibson?
Deluge
The Banjo is a Bart Reiter open back! It is great for Old Time music played in the clawhammer style.
Absomphe
"The anise and fennel were paired well with good wormwood and I could detect notes that reminded me of cinnamon, pepper, coriander, along with hints of citrus."

This tells me that Tuivel is really on the right track, as he continues to refine his Montmartre recipe.

Thanks for some nice pics, and yet another fine review, Deluge. abs-cheers.gif
Lord Stanley
QUOTE(Deluge @ Jan 12 2006, 03:26 PM) *

Vintage C.F. Berger 1890-1900

I would drink this and Pernod Fils exclusively if I could!

That's funny.

Absomphe
Not if you're Bill Gates.
Lord Stanley
It's not just about the money though.

How much of that stuff actually still exists?
Absomphe
Certainly not much, indeed.

However, if you were Bill Gates, you could be pretty certain of securing a nearly indefinite supply, providing you weren't some refugee from a Marie Corelli wormwood soap opera.
Lord Stanley
Damn, there's always a catch. frusty.gif
Absomphe
There you go again, makin' with the fish jokes...

I know...it's good to be the fisher king, isn't it? vagina.gif
grey boy
QUOTE(jmfranc @ Jan 12 2006, 03:34 PM) *

Very interesting to see the side by side comparison.

Yea,
it's easier to color it now.
justabob
QUOTE(Deluge @ Jan 12 2006, 01:47 PM) *

I always keep it in its case! The only time that it sits on a stand is when I am playing it and need to set it down for a moment! You have a Golden Era D-18 right? They sound great! I have a plain old D-18 and an HD-28. They make me very happy!

Yes, you have a great memory my friend. The ge d-18 sounds like heaven. I recently put a k+k pure country pickup in it combined with an akg wireless mike so as to compete with drums and bass on stage. Don't mean to hijack you thread, congrats on the Berger, it also sounds like heaven.
hartsmar
Deluge: I'm glad you got to try it and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. The Berger is by far the most unique and lovely taste of absinthe I can think of.
Absomphe
Ratings may be subjective, but that seems to be the one constant regarding pre-ban absinthe, and I would have to agree, wholeheartedly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.