Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pre-ban question
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Spinner
Ok, if this is frowned upon, please forgive me, but this question has been haunting me for quite some time. Does pre-ban absinthe give more of the secondary feeling? I'm just curious if some of this modern absinthe is of the same stature. I mean, how close is it? I assume the taste is very close, but what about the feel? I'll probably never get the chance to try a pre-ban, and I figure some of you have, so can anyone enlighten me? How close are we?
Jaded Prole
I have not had the good fortune to sample pre-ban but I would think the knowledge that you are tasting history and have the luck to sample someting so limited in availability would provide a different feeling.

Zman
Any "effects" are highly subjective to the individual drinker. Some feel them and some don't, as it has been explained ad nauseum here and elsewhere. For those that do get them, it would be best described as a feeling of clarity while becoming slightly intoxicated from the alcohol. Once you get past a certain point, it is just a drunk like any other. It would be my guess that the Jades, and other premium absinthes (Duplais, Montmartre, some of the Swiss La Bleus) are pretty much on the spot as to following pre-ban recipes and processes. In essence, if you stay with a quality absinthe from a reputable producer and reseller, you are going to be getting the real deal.
Kirk
That's true and Z-man knows his absinthe.
From what little I've tried in vintage the "effects" are the same,
except for the real exciting part Prol was talking about.
Steyr850
QUOTE(Spinner @ Mar 11 2006, 09:42 AM) *

I assume the taste is very close

Tastes and smells very different compared to anything available.

At least to me
Kirk
Hardly anything available
tastes like anything available
to me.
Steyr850
offtopic2.gif very nice work by the way
hartsmar
Never had "secondaries" from any absinthe. Pre-ban or modern.
Wild Bill Turkey
Me either, though I'm not really addressing the thread question, because I've never had a pre-ban.
My own opinion on secondaries is that it's just the unique quality of the drunk, taken for something more by people who want it to be so.

For me, and maybe not everybody, each family of drinks has a different quality to the drunk. Red wine makes me feel a certain way, almost every time. Brown liquors make me feel a different sort of drunk altogether. Rum is it's own category, sort of a wild card. Vodka, gin, beer, etc, each gives me a distinctly different drunk, and drink them at different times for different reasons.

Absinthe has it's own, very distinct effect on me, and I prize that. But it's really no more than a different quality to the drunk, not like a separate drug. People describe it as clear-headed, and I guess that kind of fits, but it's not like I'd want to drive a car. Active, maybe. I want to do something, make something, accomplish something, go bowling. It isn't a couch-potato drunk. Maybe that's why artists used it, because it's damned near impossible for me to stay up all night painting and drinking bourbon. But absinthe...
traineraz
Probably why it's considered an aphrodisiac, too.

You can get a good buzz going without feeling all sleepy or . . . um . . . limp.

Calling Sixer, your LAGN services are required! The apostrophe balance is all out of whack!
Spinner
Well, I definitely get something besides just drunk, for a little while anyway...only if I haven't eaten, though.
I've just always wondered if it's at all close. I imagine pre-bans were as different, flavor and effect wise, as the modern brands. It would be wonderful if that clarity type buzz was accentuated just a bit more. Maybe more sugar? w00t2.gif
justabob
dead-horse.gif
atb376
Like Wild Bill, I can't respond to pre-ban either. I did unknowingly discover a heightened clarity following my first taste of the present though. It was Amer 72. I'd heard wind of absinthe here and there, but was never in its midst until it was literally placed in my hand. It could've been luck of the draw, but it was definitely something new and unexperienced.

Summation of the past? Back then laws allowed a more "clandestine" brew, (if there were laws at all). I suppose only the chosen few could know for sure....
Patlow
Ok, if this is frowned upon, please forgive me, but this question has been haunting me for quite some time. Does pre-ban absinthe give more of the secondary feeling?

NO NO NO NO NO!

buy some... you'll see... i put splenda in my last glass of vintage pernod b/c it tasted like ______ (crowd wincing). it's the same game. like drinking champagne from 1978 or a great french bordeaux from the 50's, or a hundred year old scotch.

it is what it is. absinthe is absinthe (unless dr. crow chimes in). it's the same, plain jane, on the brain. no secondaries... take e, smoke coke, shoot up, or for fucks sake or shut up...

sorry, mom, sorry god.
Spinner
Don't apologize to god. There isn't one, and even if there was, he's a prick. And I doubt your mom is a member here anyway. harhar.gif
Patlow
god is a prick and it's mine. the universe revolves around it, didn't you know??? :)
hartsmar
QUOTE(atb376 @ Mar 11 2006, 07:42 PM) *
Back then laws allowed a more "clandestine" brew, (if there were laws at all).

What?
traineraz
You might wanna apologize for taking Fuck's name in vain, tho.

If you make something with the exact same recipe and methods today as was made 100 years ago, you'll get the same product, less 100 years of aging. frusty.gif

Now, if you'd like to add antimony chloride or other toxics to your booze and see if you get a great high, please feel free, and report your findings to us. However, if you just want to get a buzz, smoke some pot. It's cheaper, and people will then EXPECT you to ask questions which have already been answered.

(I hear the CLANDESTINE brews of old included Red Bull.)
Gertz
QUOTE(Spinner @ Mar 12 2006, 04:08 AM) *

Well, I definitely get something besides just drunk, for a little while anyway...only if I haven't eaten, though.

A well-known phenomenon. It's called "hungry".
Spinner
QUOTE(Gertz @ Mar 12 2006, 04:05 AM) *

A well-known phenomenon. It's called "hungry".

Oh yeah, I think you're right. abs-cheers.gif
atb376
QUOTE(traineraz @ Mar 12 2006, 12:59 AM) *

(I hear the CLANDESTINE brews of old included Red Bull.)

Click to view attachment

Ah, that was the secret! shock.gif
Fredie
I got a little bit off the Pre Ban Pernod I bought off of Oxy....
But nothing any different "FX" wise than I've gotten off of any other modern brand.
For me I can get secondaries from one brand at one setting and none from the same bottle at another.
It seems to be similar to a lot of alchohol (at least for me) in that sense.....
What really is different is the taste and the nose (bouquet).....
The pre ban I had smelled and tasted absolutely wonderful abs-cheers.gif
I still keep the bottles they came it just for the smell..... to remind me....
Sort of like the perfume of a great woman you once knew.
Spinner
QUOTE(Fredie @ Mar 12 2006, 08:11 PM) *

For me I can get secondaries from one brand at one setting and none from the same bottle at another.

See, I was contributing that to how much I've had to eat. I have the same thing, but I think it really depends on whether or not I've eaten, mostly.
Fredie
Never really thought about how food would "affect the effect".....
I have found that for some reason if I eat salty foods like crackers or a particularly salty type of cheese that I tend to get worst of a hangover.....
Not really sure if there's an "ideal" food to eat while tasting/drinking Absinthe....
I'd be curious to hear what other's eat/serve though. abs-cheers.gif
Jade Kiss
QUOTE(Fredie @ Mar 13 2006, 08:48 AM) *

Never really thought about how food would "affect the effect".....
I have found that for some reason if I eat salty foods like crackers or a particularly salty type of cheese that I tend to get worst of a hangover.....
Not really sure if there's an "ideal" food to eat while tasting/drinking Absinthe....
I'd be curious to hear what other's eat/serve though. abs-cheers.gif

Salt and alcohol both take with them more water on the way out than they do on the way in, and not drinking enough water before you go to bed after a hard night of drinking is a good way to get an apocalyptic hangover (I speak from experience). I had more than a few glasses of Un Emile this last saturday together with some salty snacks, however my hangover was fairly mild.

That said, I like having salty snacks to go with an absinthe sipping session. I feel it "neutralises" (for lack of a better word) the taste in your mouth in between sips. I have no idea if it's kosher or not, though. Doesn't wine-tasters have white bread to chew on in between wines?
hartsmar
White bread works wonders if you want to rid a certain taste or spicyness in a tasting or meal.
Deluge
My wallet has noticed definite secondaries after a few vintage absinthes!

Other than that, the top shelf commercials that are available today are really on par with the pre-bans that I have sampled.

I believe the only differences stem from the aging process.
sixela
QUOTE(Spinner @ Mar 11 2006, 03:42 PM) *

Ok, if this is frowned upon, please forgive me, but this question has been haunting me for quite some time. Does pre-ban absinthe give more of the secondary feeling?

No, but just smelling a *good* sample makes you lyrical (even if you don't drink it).

If you enjoy absinthe for its perfume, that is.

Secondfairies are identical to those you get when consuming modern absinthe.

You do feel different, but that's because of the thrill you get from doing something that takes you back almost a century.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.