Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sets
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
toulouse
Salut, tout le monde,

I am in the market for a set. I am looking for just a single glass, spoon, and bottle. I have searched the net and have come up with the most economical set varieties distinguishing between price (with and without shipping (live in US)), asthetics, and absinthe (or 'paa,' as I call it).

Alandia has nice sets, but with the price for US shipping so high, I have been forced to piece together my own set from individial components. Time consuming but rather satisfying. The Frenchman has a small selection of absinthes, but a large number of spoons. With the shipping only $20 more added to the total it has been the best vendor for a poor college student. Peanut butter for dinner anyone?

I open this topic in order to gain a wider vista of interpretation on various "set" preferences. What sets have you found to be the most economical in terms of shipping, prices before shipping, and / or quality of absinthe experience?

absintheglass-glow2.gif ,
toulouse
Wild Bill Turkey
If I'm understanding you right, you want to buy your absinthe with a glass and spoon all at once as a set? Is it just for you, or as a gift? Because if it's just for your own enjoyment, I'd say pick your absinthe all by itself, and decide which vendor has the best price with shipping for that. Glasses and spoons are easy to come by, from just about any vendor, and good deals can even be found on ebay, if you don't want to pay for european shipping on them.
toulouse
Yes, the set is for me and the absinthe is the most important. Pontarlier glasses have always struck me as the most beautiful glassware. I hope to become a collector of things absinthe.
tristan
I agree with Bill. Certainly with glasses, which are very heavy and fragile, therefore expensive to ship.

If it's just for you, don't rule out regular stores for things like glasses, either. Whilst they may not be of a traditional design, a lot of stores sell glasses that make great absinthe vessels. I have six glasses I bought as a set for ten bucks from a department store and I'll be darned if they don't look almost identical to the Pontarlier Glasses. If you're a collector, this might not be a good solution, but if you just want to be able to enjoy a fine drink, it's practical and functional. Sure, maybe it's cheating, but I prefer to put that extra money towards a nice bottle of Jade or something, because at the end of the day, a $2000 dollar vintage fountain, spoon and glass won't be much good to you if you're just going to fill it with Schulz.
Wild Bill Turkey
When you say Pontarlier glass, are you talking about the hand-blown glasses, with the smooth, bulb-shaped reservoir, or the "Pontarlier II" glass, which is heavier molded glass, but has a much smaller, cut-crystal design to the reservoir? Between these two glasses, I feel there's no comparison.

The reservoir of the handblown glass holds a better dose size, and is easier to measure with, because it's easier to see into the glass. The molded facets of the other glass make it harder to see into the reservoir, and enjoy the firerworks as the louche begins.
tristan
Oh, don't get me wrong, these glasses I picked up are a pale imitation of the real Pontarlier designs (either versions), but for less than two bucks a piece, they're reasonably attractive.

The reservoir is not actually a reservoir, but just a bulbous part of the stem. Like I said, it's technically cheating, and not nearly as beautiful, but it's better than drinking it from the bottle tongue.gif
toulouse
I do speak (or write rather) of that particular glass. I feel that the ritual is just as important as the brew itself. Of course absinthe shots are performed; and the "bohemian" style ritual seems to me to be a atrocious play on the ritual. But I do not consider myself an authority on the subject. I think that the hardware should reflect the attempt to perform the most traditional ritual. offtopic2.gif Granted, a professional Chess player can still win his / her games using pennies and dimes.

I have found the ritual to be extremely fascinating in my studies on absinthe. I can't think of any other spirit that has as much of an impact of the experiencer.

toulouse.
ncusa
EBAY has reasonable glass sets for about 20 bucks for a Pontarlier II, and a spoon. They also have expanded sets with extra glasses, and spoons for about 37. Shipping also isn't significant within the states.

Use LDF if your on a budget as his courier prices are easily the most friendly, and a bottle of Jade absinthe is 1st class stuff, plus shipping will be around 135 bucks courier or so if I'm not mistaken. Some other vendors shipping costs will add 30 or more dollars depending on the vendor for the same weight. Fountains were all very expensive, and not in my budget for now. Right now my extra cash is going for trying different absinthe's, I'll pour ice water the old fashioned way.

sixela
I'll just add my two cents.

My most practical replica:

http://www.absinthefrenchmanspoon.com/produit/1060

My most beautfiul replica:

http://www.absinthefrenchmanspoon.com/produit/1151

As for the glasses, I like Frenchman's Pontarliers, though his earlier run of thinner Pomtarliers were a lot nicer (I have tzo of those, though I've recently chipped one of them). I also like the LDF 'Cordon' glass.

Kommienezuspadt
I know it's not inclusive of spoons or Absinthe but I thought I's share anyhow;
I got a set of the 'swirl' absinthe glasses (6) which I thought were very affordable.

Here:
www.maisoui.net

Under the section titled 'Absinthe' (funnily enough), it's at the top of the menu on the left of the screen.
jacal01
QUOTE(sixela @ Apr 3 2006, 05:10 AM) *

I have tzo of those, though I've recently chipped one of them.

You've been drinking tzipouri in your absinthe glasses again, six?
sixela
Yez.

The Standard Deviant
I accidentally got the "hot with fire" version.

Hopefully this is on the way to me now. (Look at the price!)
tristan
QUOTE(Ravenshaw @ Apr 3 2006, 07:04 AM) *

I know it's not inclusive of spoons or Absinthe but I thought I's share anyhow;
I got a set of the 'swirl' absinthe glasses (6) which I thought were very affordable.

Here:
www.maisoui.net

Under the section titled 'Absinthe' (funnily enough), it's at the top of the menu on the left of the screen.

Thanks for that link... they have some nice stuff.

I find it amusing that they sell absinthe spoons for use as tea spoons, sugar servers, iced tea and coctail stirrers and even as just a curious conversation starter. They never actually suggest you could use it for drinking absinthe.

Which is funny because, other than preparing absinthe, there's not much you can do with an absinthe spoon...
Hectma
I use them as throwing knives. The Croix Suisse hurts like a mofo.
As for the original question, I usually like to tack on a glass to any order I put in with LdF. I just got a pair of Cordon glasses from them, and they are beautiful (though a little too delicate). Also, as Bill said, deals can be found on ebay.

If you end up later wanting a bigger set that includes a fountain, but don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on one, I'd suggest making your own. It's fun and easy. A simple search here will lead you to all the information you'd need.
tristan
Well... after all my "you don't need real absinthe glasses" talk, I just ordered a set of 6 handblown glasses from the Frenchman.

I guess, if you're going to do something, do it right... right?

As for throwing knifes, well, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of an Eifel Tower spoon either.
Fredie
Here's a nice set....
IPB Image
...although it's probably too expensive. chickawow.gif
Absomphe
I don't know about that, Fredie.

Looks to me like she got those for free, or perhaps they were just very well done, in which case, you're absolutely right.
Fredie
Really? I thought she was born with them? sleepy.gif
Absomphe
In that case, she was one precocious baby, and since I'm not one of those child molester types, I think I'll just wipe that image right out of my head now! wacko.gif
ncusa
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Apr 3 2006, 12:02 AM) *

When you say Pontarlier glass, are you talking about the hand-blown glasses, with the smooth, bulb-shaped reservoir, or the "Pontarlier II" glass, which is heavier molded glass, but has a much smaller, cut-crystal design to the reservoir? Between these two glasses, I feel there's no comparison.

The reservoir of the handblown glass holds a better dose size, and is easier to measure with, because it's easier to see into the glass. The molded facets of the other glass make it harder to see into the reservoir, and enjoy the firerworks as the louche begins.

I bought this glass on your recommendation, because what I was using wasn't really satisfactory. I was leaning to the II, because I liked it's look, but the points you made for the I seemed practical. I'll try it out tonight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.