Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pernod Tarragona
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Sambeau
Something for the high rollers. I think the last one I saw sold for around $1500. Ebay

AutarchicFlux
Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but I'm still relatively new around here.

I assume that the bottle we're talking about here is very old, which is the draw....but what makes it so desirable? Is it not commercially produced? How much of a resemblance does it bare tio genuine absinthe? My understanding is that pernod is much sweeter and less complex in flavor.
absinthoman
tarragona was made around 1950. That's what makes it wanted by a lot of poeple!!The industry of pernod absinthe moved to tarragona after the prohibition in 1910 in france.So this type of bottle is very rare. Some hg today are better than this stuff so it's not worth 1500$. You're just paying for the rarity!!!
lysistrata
If that doesn't get too many bids it would be a nice purchase. The problem is, the seller has no previous ratings so it's hard to know if the buyer would really receive a vintage Tarragona, or what. Maybe I'm paranoid (actually I KNOW I am) but I would never bid that kind of money on an un-rated seller who isn't even in the same continent as I am! sleepy.gif
I_B_Puffin
QUOTE (AutarchicFlux @ Dec 4 2003, 10:13 AM)
Is it not commercially produced? How much of a resemblance does it bare tio genuine absinthe? My understanding is that pernod is much sweeter and less complex in flavor.

Pernod is still commercially produced, but it bears no resemblence to the stuff they used to make. The new Pernod sucks ass.

The old stuff was the best that was available at the time.
Absomphe
Unfortunately you can be pretty damn sure that it WILL go too many bids...bottles like that never go cheaply...except that this one doesn't appear to be full...either it has been opened, or there has been a lot of evaporation, which means the cork shrunk and the contents would suffer from acute oxidation, and be undrinkable. So maybe it will ONLY go to like six or seven hundred shock.gif
lysistrata
QUOTE (Absomphe @ Dec 4 2003, 02:09 PM)
except that this one doesn't appear to be full...either it has been opened, or there has been a lot of evaporation, which means the cork shrunk and the contents would suffer from acute oxidation, and be undrinkable.

Good eye, Absomphe! I didn't even notice that detail. Like I said about the seller....
I_B_Puffin
The seller said that there's been evaporation and that the cork leaks.
Absomphe
Thanks Lysistrata! I spy with my little eye........ pirate2.gif
Absomphe
Evaporation AND the cork leaks...are you listening Frenchman (lol)...we might be down to 500 bucks!!! w00t1.gif
Donnie Darko
What makes that bottle suspicious is the label looks brand new. I've seen many vintage bottles of absinthe (and own 2 that were correctly stored), and exactly zero of them have a label that's so pristenely white. The other curious thing is the bottom of the bottle is inverted (not sure of the proper glass term), and I've never seen a post ban bottle w/ the bottom being inverted instead of flat. This does not indicate that it is fake, but certainly unusual.

That amount of ullage (evaporation) is not uncommon in sealed Tarragona bottles, and the seal looks authentic.

Absomphe
$350 and dropping!!! guillotine.gif
Pataphysician
Going, going, withdrawn.
Absomphe
Man, we're so cruel...does this count as auction interference...Bwahahaha!! dev.gif
simon
All Pernod Tarragona bottles prior to the 1950's where punted (with a kick up the bottom). All bottles made later had flat bottoms. This is a good indicator when dating them. I havn't been able to view the bottle in question so i wouldn't like to assume authenticity, however i hear that the label is still in pristine condition and this should not deter someone. I've had several bottles of PF tarragona with good as new labels and this is not uncommon, especially in the later bottles produced before J.M. Banus Tarragona ceased production in 1969.
Absomphe
I just checked the item and it is listed as invalid. Of course that comes up once an auction is concluded, and I never checked the end of auction date originally. Does anyone know what the bottle in question sold for?
Donnie Darko
QUOTE (simon @ Dec 9 2003, 02:51 AM)
however i hear that the label is still in pristine condition and this should not deter someone.

I agree, I was just surprised to see a label that wasn't even slightly faded, especially if the bottle is pre-1950s. I doubt the bottle was a fake, the seal certainly looked real enough. Looks like the item was withdrawn though. I wonder why. Perhaps since Oxys bottle was already up he thought it would be a bad idea to compete.

(thanks for the info on the shape of the bottle bottom BTW, I was curious if the kickup was any indicator of the relative date).

Absomphe said "Of course that comes up once an auction is concluded, and I never checked the end of auction date originally."

That's not true. Items can still be viewed at least 30 days after the auction has ended. If a recently listed item is "Invalid" that means either the seller or eBay removed it.
simon
You're welcome Donnie. Another interesting fact regarding PF Tarragona, is that some of the early bottles produced under the J.M Banus directive (from when the distillery took over the production franchised by Pernod Fils in 1918) is that between this and around 1925 all the bottles also had a swiss cross as oposed to the later bottles with 'pernod' written in it's place. These bottles are quite similar to post 1913 French, however there are two differences:

1. French bottles dating pre- 1915 are blown and early PF are moulded but with an added blob seal. Although they are both heavy and of the same glass tint, the Spanish has a vague seam running around it.

2. Secondly all early Spanish with the cross also had the back label explaining how to dilute the drink ('Makes an ideal drink diluted with 1 to5 parts water' etc...), whereas none of the French pre- 1915 had this.

N.B. -Obviously this doesn't go for all the bottles, but it's a good guide which applies to 90% of bottles, making it a good parameter for dating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.