Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > General Absinthe Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
toulouse
Hello all,

What music do you prefer to listen to (if any) when under the inebriation of this libation?
Jade Kiss
Ultra Chicks volume 1 through 6
Molly
I don't know how open you are to music, I really do listen to everything, this is somewhat differant to anything you may have heard. It's brilliant, if you're open to it, and not neccesarily what it may appear at first.

Kleptones Downloads

Each album is completely differant.

A Night at the Hip-Hopera is a legendary album that has had an enourmous impact, even though it may never given radio-time for reasons that will become apparent if you hear it.

From Detroit to J.A. is great ,as is Yoshimi, and the largely instrumental album Never Trust Originality. The newest one, 24 Hours, could have been better.

If you download by Bittorrent use µTorrent. An elegant solution to torrents.
ncusa
I like blues and such, and something like Stevie Ray Vaughn works for me, and I also like Al Green.
tristan
Music is such a personal thing, it's hard to suggest anything with out really knowing the other person. That being said, here is what I play:

1) Satie, Debussy, Chopin - When I'm drinking alone to relax, this stuff is beautiful.

2) Davis, Monk, Ellington - When drinking with friends, Jazz is great. It doesn't send people to sleep, but doesn't start any fights, either.

3) Portishead, Lamb, Massive Attack - When entertaining, I go trip-hop. It's a great mix of beats and harmonics.

4) Cocteau Twins, Lush, Miranda Sex Garden - When I need the inspiration, Absinthe and ethereal pop never fail me.

Things not to listen to whilst drinking Absinthe:

1) Black Metal - Screaming Norwegian Satanists and Absinthe don't mix.
2) Gangsta - Sometimes I think a lot fewer people would be shot and killed if everyone drank absinthe.
3) Drum 'n' Bass - Way too fast and frantic for absinthe.
4) Gloom Cookies (Chris Isaac, Morrisey, Nick Cave) - Sorry guys, I drink absinthe to stop feeling depressed.

But like I said, it's all very personal.

Hope that helps.
Steyr850
I'm a long time Martin Sexton freak, absinthe or no.

A little bit of everything from there on excluding country and rap/hip-hop
KingofNothing
i agree with porsitshead and massive attack. trip-hop is a great way to go for a different kind of...thing. personally, i would recommend the secret machines. they have some really heavy stuff, but its never too fast. maybe some dj mark farina and some mushroom jazz thrown in there too. blink.gif
hartsmar
QUOTE(Jade Kiss @ Apr 26 2006, 04:16 PM) *

I agree. And I also like to watch "College Girls Gone Wild" volumes 1-23.
KingofNothing
portishead** sorry i just have a thing with spelling. benevento russo duo is good, flaming lips, awesome, beck, awesome. this is all music that might not fit your immediate idea of "absinthe music" though. st. germain is good. but most of all...Digable Planets. try it. youll like it. maybe. im attempting to suggest something new aside from the obvious great ones already stated above like miles davis and whatnot.
Jade Kiss
QUOTE(hartsmar @ Apr 27 2006, 10:17 AM) *

The Ultra Chicks series is actually fucking awesome music.

Don't know what soundtrack they use for Girls Gone Wild, though.
badger
1.) Trance-Tomcraft, Chris Liebling, Paul Van Dyk, etc. live sets from Einslive. Must be live sets.
2.) Rap- Ludacris ("if you think of lighting it on fire...blow it out yo Plain2.gif ")
3.) Punk-The souls, Ramones, Sex Pistols etc.
4.) Hardcore-Commin' Correct, Hatebreed, Darkest Hour, Bad Luck 13, etc.
5.) Lastly the radio if none of the above are obtainable
Steve
Speaking of Debussy, I really like Art of Noise: The Seduction of Claude Debussy.
hartsmar
QUOTE(Jade Kiss @ Apr 27 2006, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(hartsmar @ Apr 27 2006, 10:17 AM) *

The Ultra Chicks series is actually fucking awesome music.

Don't know what soundtrack they use for Girls Gone Wild, though.

Soundtrack!? People actually buy moans and groans on CD?!

abs-cheers.gif
Jade Kiss
You'd be surprised!
tristan
King - Good call on St. Germain. Especially tourist. Okay, so it's become a bit of a cliche, but it's still a good record.

When it comes down to it, if you're really in tune with music, you should be able to tell what will work. My best advice is to have a couple of glasses and then see where the mood takes you. Chances are you'll know exactly what you're looking for.
hartsmar
QUOTE(badger @ Apr 27 2006, 03:45 AM) *

5.) Lastly the radio if none of the above are obtainable

??? <---- that is a link, ok?
Fredie
My own quite frankly...... tongue.gif
http://www.myspace.com/winonasalibi
Nymphadora
"The Last Temptation of Christ" soundtrack by Peter Gabriel or Kate Bush.
Fredie
KT's latest, Ariel is wonderful louching music....
So is V.A.S.T. , Lenoard Cohen, Al Stewart, Warren Zevon, Rush & David Gilmour's latest.
whizz
QUOTE(Steyr850 @ Apr 27 2006, 04:28 AM) *

A little bit of everything from there on excluding country and rap/hip-hop

Totally agree
Fredie
Actually I've found that when I drink very poor quality crapsinthe with an ultra high T-count I get flashbacks of episodes of Saved by the Bell! wacko.gif
http://www.smithappens.com/video_kapow3.php
lightsdownlow
Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven is one of my favorite albums to listen to, intoxicated or otherwise. Not good for big parties, as it's often very quiet. It reaches all ends of the emotional spectrum, balancing musical and emotional expression as delicately and as naturally as breathing. The first track, "Storm," builds slowly to an amazing crescendo that will knock you off your feet. Absinthe's influence makes this song one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.
MarKoPoLo
Einsturzende Neubauten.
shinsain
+1 for Trip Hop...

Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky (can't forget that if you're talking about trip hop), Bowery Electric is another good trip hop group and St. Germain for that Trip-Hop/Acid Jazz feel.

I would have to say that other than that, almost anything is good.

I listen to VAST as well, good stuff.

Also, a little Led Zepplin if I'm drinking during the day, Miranda Sex Garden, Leather Strip, Front 242 in the evening. Drumb and Bass is good if you know which artists to pick. I like Goldie, LTJ Bukem, John B, Square Pusher, Polar, Matrix, older Roni Size...more "drumb and bass" as opposed to two-step Jungle. Ragga Jungle is also good. Old Mickey Finn and old, old Aphrodite.
Gertz
QUOTE(tristan @ Apr 27 2006, 04:26 AM) *

Black Metal - Screaming Norwegian Satanists and Absinthe don't mix.

On the other hand, medieval norwegian folk-rockers make a perfect soundtrack for a sipping session.
Fredie
I hear their veal is pretty good too!!
IPB Image
Long as you don't mention the war that is.... ironchef-1.gif
Selmac
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Maybe not the most mellow jazz, but I love to drink to it.
Molly
Now I know why the music at Absinthe partys is always low and very much in the background. At least the conversation is always good.
Bruno Rygseck
Boards of Canada : Music Has the Right to Children

Perfect while watching a good verte louche.

Cheers /// BR
MarKoPoLo
QUOTE(Molly @ Apr 28 2006, 08:40 AM) *

Now I know why the music at Absinthe partys is always low and very much in the background. At least the conversation is always good.

Apparently you've never been to any of my parties.
Absinthesizer
Nothing evokes that Belle Epoch feeling for me like Faure nocturnes - refined, subtle, endlessly nuanced. But Debussy is great, too. (Avatar is "Reflets dans l'eau.")

That's if it's just my wife and me. If there's a group, it doesn't matter. I won't be listening anyway.
Brett
Never really listened to music while drinking absinthe.

But, should the opportunity ever present itself, I'd probably not listen to anything different than what I listen to regularly.
Fredie
QUOTE(Brett @ May 7 2006, 09:50 PM) *

Never really listened to music while drinking absinthe.

Wait, WHAT? not even mine?! Damn you kids today!!! viking_emoticon.gif
traineraz
The KLF, what else?
Patlow
Serge Gainsbourg

he bought a rolls royce in cash even though he didn't have a driver's license to drive it. he simply kept it in a garage so he could have an $______ ashray. now that is a man after my own heart. i think bridget bardot drove it around for him once or twice. M-A-N MAN.
Brett
How would not having a driver's licence stop you?

Mike Skinner allegedly drove a rented Ferrari around Vegas with no licence.
OKKVLTA
I drink absinthe usually alone in my room, lights off and maybe some francincense oil on my shoulders and incense burning. Music would be something very silent and deep, hypnotic music. For me, absinthe is very deep and meditative experinece. I would love to try more social absinthe drinking but all my friends hate absinthe and prefer cheap moonshine or Koskenkorva (horrible Finnish spirit). Damn drunks.... :(

Arcana, Der Blutharsch, Deutsch Nepal, Dead Can Dance, Current 93, Coil.....
All neo-folk, dark ambient, martial and neo-classical music are fine.

Blood Axis & Les Joyeaux De La Princesse - Absinthia Taetra!
A record entirely dedicated to absinthe, mostly just soundscapes that picture absinthe and it's history in all it's artistic decadence wink.gif
Alltime favourite absinthe cd :)

Peace
tristan
Serge is the man... or should I say, Serge est l'homme? I don't think it translates that well.

Neo-classical stuff can be good, but it's a fine line between moody and depressing. A lot of the stuff on the Cold Meat Industry label is really innovative and interesting, but some of it sounds a bit too much like Viking War Marches which probably don't quite set the right mood. Ditto for Projekt Label, but replace Viking War Marches with Nail-Biting Mechanical Goblins having Sex (actually, CMI have plenty of that too... Brighter Death Now, anyone?). DCD are a good reference point.

I listened through the new Cocteau Twins CD set 'Lullabies For Violaine' which went down very well... as did the Blanchette.

PS - Welcome OKKVLTA. Cheers!
grazer
Try 'Paris Midnight' featuring Liane with the Boheme Bar Trio. It's a 2 CD set from Vanguard Classics (OVC 6017/18) including 50 french hits. Seems to complement the experience..
hartsmar
QUOTE(OKKVLTA @ May 31 2006, 12:29 PM) *

I would love to try more social absinthe drinking but all my friends hate absinthe and prefer cheap moonshine or Koskenkorva (horrible Finnish spirit). Damn drunks.... :(

Given that your profile states you've only had the Pere Kermann, I understand your friends, and I wonder how the hell you can put up with drinking it! Damn well better be under heavy hypnosis to cope with that.

Give your credit card a good spanking and order some good stuff.

Welcome.
Pataphysician
dub DUB DUB!!

King Tubby, Niney The Observer, Errol Brown, Lee Scratch Perry, Bunny Lee, Keith Hudson, Augustus Pablo, Prince Jammy...
traineraz
ummmm . . . The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu?
The Greenman
Hi everyone, I thought I'd contribute something people might enjoy with my first post here.

www.pandora.com

I've heard alot of the music mentioned here come up on pandora. Basically it's like "training" your own radio station. It has probably expanded my appreciation and awareness for new music 100 fold since I found it in November. It's part of the Music Genome Project, and it's free.
crosby
QUOTE(OKKVLTA @ May 31 2006, 12:29 PM) *

Damn drunks.... :(

Easy there, I resemble that statement.
wooperman
I am actually having a hard time finding some music, for that matter not sure what it's called.

So back in the belle epoch, there was classical and can-can dance music that I imagine was played at the moulin rouge. But what were the other types? Like, there must have been some other pop/folk music that poor people listened to. If you went to a cafe or where ever absinthe was served, and there was a person in the corner playing music, what was the name of that style? What were the instruments? Was there sining?
Dude, like what was Van Gogh's favorite jam?
I have searched all over the internet for belle epoch/folk/music etc. but no mention of good melodic folk/pop cafe' music.
Provenance
This may be what you are thinking of.
Alyssa Dyane
Have you listened to this Provenance? It looks pretty groovy.
jmark
I always move towards longer instrumental pieces when I drink absinthe, either in Classical (Takemitsu, Schoenberg, Bartok String Quartets) or long pieces of electronic (Biosphere, Fennesz, Eliane Radigue) or free structured acoustic. John Fahey and Robbie Basho acoustic guitar compositions are really nice, too. I don't tend to listen to vocal music, as I like my own thoughts to have room.
rogue_designer
I have a CD of Satie piano works performed by Patrick Cohen that I find to be really nice if I'm feeling like I want to go period.

but usually I just drop in some classic jazz - maybe the Gershwin songbook performed by Ella, or some Dexter Gordon...

I like my green hour to be relaxed.
Alyssa Dyane
I usually listen to a lot of old jazz, which I know isn't period - but I like it.

There is a good online radio station I like, Absinthe radio, and they play some great old jazzy stuff. I just don't like all of the commercials, but they play great tunes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.