Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage Samplemania
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Oxygenee
I have three different vintage bottles shortly to be available in sample bottle format:

1. A 1930's Pernod S.A. Tarragona. This is the Edouard Pernod clone, not the much more commonly found Pernod Fils version.

2. A circa 1910 pre-ban bottle of H.Bazinet - a major high quality producer.

3. Perhaps most interestingly of all: a 1930's bottle of Cuban absinthe, the only intact bottle discovered so far. This is likely the absinthe Hemingway drank on his fishing expeditions.

None of them will be cheap, but they're all fascinating bottles, in extremely good condition.

I'll be taking advance orders from tonight. Full details will be in the May issue of the Virtual Absinthe Museum's newsletter - if you're not already a subscriber, and are interested in the samples, please sign up by clicking the box on www.oxygenee.com. It's a double opt-in system, so you need to enter your details, and then respond to the automatic confirmatory email as well.

For those interested, I will also have samples of the 1870-1890's Fine Jamaican Rum shown on my Finest & Rarest site. Details in the newsletter.
Marc
Very interesting finds Oxy !
I'm really intrigued about how a Cuban absinthe tastes like...

H.Bazinet... intriguing too, are you aware of any bottle discovered before yours ?

I really can't wait to read your feelings after the very first degustations, enjoy !
Oxygenee
QUOTE(mthuilli @ May 12 2006, 02:43 PM) *

H.Bazinet... intriguing too, are you aware of any bottle discovered before yours ?

No, this is the only intact full size bottle I've ever seen.
Oxygenee
Updated photos and tasting notes for all 3 absinthes are now online.

There are still one or two samples left of the Bazinet and of the Tarragona (I was able to get 17 samples out of each bottle rather than the 15 initially expected). There are 6 samples of the Albado Cuban absinthe left.
Fredie
Wow....it looks like there is hardly any color change between the dose/louched photos of the Cuban.
Was it just the lighting or did it just not louche much at all?
Grim
Guess.
Gertz
Or read.
Oxygenee
Would be very interested in comments on the Bazinet, Tarragona and Albado from those who ordered samples. A set of reviews in the Tasting Sheet format would be particularly valuable, because then Markus could include them in the Buyers Guide.

Anyone?
Donnie Darko
I haven't tried the Pernod SA yet due to a persistent sinus infection, but as soon as it clears up I'll post a review. I did take a little sniff though, and even through my severe congestion I could still smell the wine alcohol.
sixela
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 13 2006, 07:46 PM) *

Would be very interested in comments on the Bazinet, Tarragona and Albado from those who ordered samples. A set of reviews in the Tasting Sheet format would be particularly valuable, because then Markus could include them in the Buyers Guide.

I've tried a bit of the Albado the Bazinet, but I couldn't possibly score the Bazinet - the Bazinet sample had too much of a smoked wood aftertaste (like Segarra butterscotch, but more "smoked ham") obscuring the actual recipe (and certainly any fragrant notes it would have had at the end) to do it justice.

I'll just say one thing, though, for people tasting vintage absinthes: sometimes, you need to let them breathe for a while, especially when they have a butterscotchy or smoked wood aftertaste and you can't taste the absinthe and main herbs. When we started drinking it, there was only a tiny note of absinthe and then the overpowering smokiness, but the flavours do start to develop if you are a bit more patient; don't drink it all in one gulp!

As for the recipe, suffice it to say that the first thing that reared its head was (very good) absinthe, and a lot of it, only later some fennel, and only then some anise.

Young or perfectly preserved, it must've been pretty darn close to a young sample of a "1797 recipe" absinthe about which I'm sure Oxy knows more wink.gif, though it was less bitter (the young sample I'm comparing it with really needed some sugar and the Bazinet did not, but perhaps the absinthe flavours do mellow over time). Must've been pretty darn different from Berger and Pernod Fils.

As for the Albado, I'd say it tastes a lot like Sebor would taste aged well (bitter and herbal), but I'll try to drink it with others so that others can corroborate my findings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.