Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to make Absinthe
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Voyages au Pays des Fées
Pages: 1, 2
Donnie Darko
I'm assuming it's OK to post this now, since it has gone out to the public in the Virtual Absinthe Museum newsletter and is a link on the main page of www.oxygenee.com. As far as I'm aware, this is the first time a detailed photographic description of the entire process of proper absinthe manufacture has been made available online.

http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-distillation

Thanks to Oxy, as I'm sure this will help clear up lots of misconceptions about the distillation process.
Jaded Prole
Thanks indeed and I look forward to the resulst of their efforts.
celticgent
chickawow.gif so proud of youse guys.
sremick
Wow, that's the coolest thing I've seen on here in a long time. Thanks!

What's the story behind this, though?
Fredie
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!! IT CAN'T BE?!?!?! blink.gif
http://www.oxygenee.com/images/Steaming-Balls-79KB.jpg
BLUE ABSINTHE!!! LARS!.gif
Absomphe
Purtier than Hills.
SoulShade
Yes, this is outstanding. Thanks to all involved. -s
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(sremick @ May 15 2006, 12:24 PM) *

What's the story behind this, though?

At this moment, the story is simply what you see. A didactic photographic prophylactic description of your favourite beverage being properly made.
Jack Batemaster
Where are the pics and notes from Ted's runs? Just goes to show you what a pompous cunt he is...
hartsmar
???
blink.gif
Jaded Prole
So how do you really feel about Ted?
jacal01
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ May 15 2006, 10:55 AM) *

Where are the pics and notes from Ted's runs?

You haven't the need to know. wink.gif
The Standard Deviant
That was a great description, and even answered a question I had about reflux.
Grim
. . .
Donnie Darko
Ditto.
KingofNothing
QUOTE(Fredie @ May 15 2006, 11:38 AM) *

BLUE ABSINTHE!!! LARS!.gif

For those who don't get the joke, the blue stuff in the picture is the water surrounding the coils to cool and condense the alocohol. The actual alcohol is in the tubes and it is not blue.
Ari
How do you know? Maybe they cool the good stuff with Hills.
shock.gif
traineraz
I'm still waiting til I get home so I can see it.

Alcohol and Tobacco is a topic filterated by WebSense.

Does it look like Smurf Squeezins?
wooperman
I was under the impression that Ted owned or was the exclusive user of that distillery. Is it a hired-gun set up there?
Jack Batemaster
He is a nobody who rents a still on occasion.
Jack Batemaster
He would lead you to believe that he owns the distillery and invented Absinthe, if he could.
Donnie Darko
Ted ted ted, ted ted, Ted Tedtedted, Ted ted.

This isn't a thread about Ted, dumbasses. It's a thread about a website documenting how absinthe is properly distilled. That's it and that's all.
Jack Batemaster
What this thread should be about is you bending over, Porkpie. cdog-plain.gif

In fact, this thread shouldn't be about Ted at all.
Absomphe
QUOTE(The Standard Deviant @ May 15 2006, 01:07 PM) *

That was a great description, and even answered a question I had about reflux.

Prilosec.

End of story.

Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ May 15 2006, 08:47 PM) *

What this thread should be about is you bending over, Porkpie. cdog-plain.gif

In fact, this thread shouldn't be about Ted at all.

This thread can't be about me bending over because this thread is all about you.
Jack Batemaster
It's more about me than you realize, I can guarantee that...
jacal01
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 15 2006, 06:10 PM) *

Prilosec.

End of story.

Au contraire. Aciphex.
Jack Batemaster
Xit, you guys are old.
Jaded Prole
I though this thread was about the first absinthe in over a century being distilled in France.
Donnie Darko
An absinthe was made in Pontarlier at the Emile Pernot distillery, and the pictures document that it was done in a traditional manner that paid careful attention to quality every step of the way. People can make up all the grandiose shit they want like "Ted eats babies" or "the god of all absinthes has been born" or "everyone has been brainwashed by the Absinthe Syndicate". The bottom line is the only people who know the truth are the people who were there. I wasn't there. I don't know the truth. Everyone should just be thankful that those there took pictures and shared them with you. I'm just a messenger. Any one of you could have also gone to Oxy's site, and clicked on the link for yourselves. I just posted it here because I thought it was interesting, not realizing I was throwing napalm on a campfire.
traineraz
I can see it now!!

I don't see any baby-eatin', tho. All the commentary was making me hungry.

Thanks for hosting it on your site, Oxy, and for bringing it to our attention, DD!

Say, does Kyle use whoreshair filteration, too?
Ari
Sure... you just don't want to know where his special whoreshair comes from.
KingofNothing
Which one of you is actually Ted. Dammit you're confusing the KOS out of me.
tristan
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia.
traineraz
We're all Ted, haven't you figured that out yet?
tristan
I think we should rename this site "Being Ted Breaux"

Everyone who enters it becomes Ted for twelve minutes, then gets dumped out along the New Jersey Turnpike.
Ari
I think Jack just wants to watch Ted dunk his giant tea bag.

Oh and back on point, great pictures.
petbottle
Wow, thanks for sharing that. Very interesting stuff.

QUOTE(Fredie @ May 15 2006, 08:38 AM) *

I've got to admit that I chuckled a bit when I saw the name of the image in question. tongue.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
The shots comparing samples of differing quality herbs just begins to give me the sense of the nightmare someone must face trying to produce anything of quality on a commercial scale.

Even if those had been vacation photos of people who never intended to be around absinthe again, they would have been really cool shots to look through and read about.

It turns out this is a good time to be alive, after all. I used to think I was born a hundred years too late. Now it's starting to look like I might have timed it pretty well...
Hectma
QUOTE(Fredie @ May 15 2006, 08:38 AM) *

I was expecting a COMPLETELY different picture when I clicked on that.
traineraz
Note the lack of antimony chloride, Wild Bill. het.gif
Gertz
QUOTE(prattwink @ May 16 2006, 02:33 AM) *

I was under the impression that Ted owned or was the exclusive user of that distillery. Is it a hired-gun set up there?

Ted uses the Combier distillery in Saumur in the Loire Valley. These pics are from the Emile Pernot distillery in Pontarlier.
tristan
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ May 15 2006, 09:59 PM) *

The shots comparing samples of differing quality herbs just begins to give me the sense of the nightmare someone must face trying to produce anything of quality on a commercial scale.

Let alone some twat trying to make absinthe in their laundry with a bottle of everclear and a bag of mulch. I think those pages should be mandatory reading for anyone ordering DIY Absinthe Kits.

And it should be titled "Dude... Seriously."
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ May 16 2006, 08:59 AM) *

It's one of the biggest problems. All the commercially sourced herbs shown were from the best (and most expensive) suppliers in France. Despite this "money's no object" sourcing policy, some were unacceptable - even though previous batches from the same people had been of good quality. So there's no guarantee that if supplier X had, say, great melissa the last time you ordered, this time it wouldn't arrive full of stalks, or faulty in some other way. The only way around this - as was done at the distillery - is to order batches from different suppliers, and hope that at least one of them will be of the standard required. The cost implications of this are obvious.

The top Belle Epoque manufacturers paid an enormous amount of attention to herb quality, and wherever possibly either grew themselves, or used growers working to their precise specifications. Their huge reserve stocks in barrel meant that each distillation run was absorbed into a much larger whole, thus ironing out any variations in plant quality from batch to batch. So in short, they likely had, on average, better quality herbs to start with, and the solera system they used made them better able to equalize such quality variances as there were. Modern manufacturers are only now beginning to really address these issues, both by increasing their reserve stocks and by having herbs grown specifically for them.
sixela
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ May 16 2006, 01:36 AM) *

If he's a nobody, ignore him - you're almost making him sound like the very Antichrist.

Absomphe
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ May 15 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Xit, you guys are old.

No xit, Sheerluck. shock.gif
hartsmar
QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ May 15 2006, 04:36 PM) *

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

This has nothing to do with Ted or you... Imagine that.
jacal01
QUOTE(Absomphe @ May 16 2006, 06:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Jack Batemaster @ May 15 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Xit, you guys are old.

No xit, Sheerluck. shock.gif

It ain't for the faint of heart.

Axtually, those streaming balls are at the crux of the biscuit for technique, aren't they now.
tabreaux
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ May 16 2006, 12:51 AM) *

It's one of the biggest problems. All the commercially sourced herbs shown were from the best (and most expensive) suppliers in France. Despite this "money's no object" sourcing policy, some were unacceptable - even though previous batches from the same people had been of good quality.

This is a stark realization for those aspiring to make a better quality product in commercially viable quantities. The aggravation is compounded by the fact that suppliers keep only limited stocks on hand, and therefore larger volume orders must be placed well in advance (sometimes a year or more) - or one may get nothing. If an arriving order is of insufficient quality, one could be SOL - unless of course redundant orders are placed elsewhere. The result is always sharply increased costs and little guarantee in the way of quality and/or consistency.

The top Belle Epoque manufacturers paid an enormous amount of attention to herb quality, and wherever possibly either grew themselves, or used growers working to their precise specifications. Their huge reserve stocks in barrel meant that each distillation run was absorbed into a much larger whole, thus ironing out any variations in plant quality from batch to batch. . . .

Being located in largely rural areas, the top Belle Epoque makers were situated with immediate access to land and climate suitable for growing at least a portion of the required herbs. They enjoyed the threefold advantage of quality control, price, and volume, not to mention the political bonus of supporting local farmers.

Modern manufacturers are only now beginning to really address these issues, both by increasing their reserve stocks and by having herbs grown specifically for them.

At this point, we have progressed to a point whereby several herbs are grown specifically for us by private parties. It's increased our costs measurably, but we feel the improvement and consistency in quality is worth it.
Jack Batemaster
Where you been Ted? I missed you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.