Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: topette use
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
wooperman
I have seen topettes for sale. Descriptions usually say something about it measuring doses of absinthe. I can see that using the lines you can tell how many doses are in it, but is there a mechanism for the topette to pour the perfect dose ? Or is it just the name given to decanters used for absinthe?
Oxygenee
They were used for all kinds of drinks, not just absinthe: vermouth, cordials, eau de vie's etc. Each segment (they get wider as their diameter shrinks) represented one unit of liquor. At the end of the evening, the waiter could immediately see how much the customer had drunk, and could bill him accordingly. They're no easier, or more difficult to pour with, than any other small carafe.
Wild Bill Turkey
Is it still common in France, or anywhere, for that matter, for self-service decanters of liquor to be left on a customer's table? I'm accustomed to buying a bottle or pitcher of something for the table. But I can't recall ever having the waiter leave a decanter of anything on the table and then charge me later for how much I actually used. Sounds almost impossible to police, and an invitation to your waiters to filter as much money as they'd like from your operation. But what a convenience to the customer!
Steve
We went to an Italian restaurant in Paris, and after the meal they brought us a bottle of grappa and left it on the table, but they didn't measure how much we drank. It seemed to be common practice at this place. The bottle was moving from table to table.
traineraz
Macaroni Grill does it with wine.

Of course, it's the house wine, which probably runs them about $1.50 a bottle.
Absomphe
Probably equivalent to what they would have charged for a bottle of Belle Epoque absinthe, back in the day.
Rabelais
QUOTE(Spoon @ May 17 2006, 03:01 PM) *

We went to an Italian restaurant in Paris, and after the meal they brought us a bottle of grappa and left it on the table, but they didn't measure how much we drank. It seemed to be common practice at this place. The bottle was moving from table to table.

Leaving a assortment of grappa, amaro and lemoncello after the meal is standard procedure in better - non tourist restaurants in Italy. For the really good stuff you still must ask. Like Absinthe not all grappa's are created equally.
abs-cheers.gif
Heure Verte
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ May 17 2006, 12:53 PM) *

Is it still common in France, or anywhere, for that matter, for self-service decanters of liquor to be left on a customer's table? I'm accustomed to buying a bottle or pitcher of something for the table. But I can't recall ever having the waiter leave a decanter of anything on the table and then charge me later for how much I actually used. Sounds almost impossible to police, and an invitation to your waiters to filter as much money as they'd like from your operation. But what a convenience to the customer!

No : today the waiter brings you your drink and that's all. Using topettes disappeared with the topettes !
It would be nice to have replica for topettes, it could interest cafes and bars perhaps ....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.