Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay item of the month (bis)
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Absinthiana & Collectibles
Pages: 1, 2
Marc
The best I've seen so far : http://cgi.ebay.fr/CUILLERE-ABSINTHE-GOMSA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Prepare your drill viking_emoticon.gif
hartsmar
HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Well, you got to hand it to the seller, it IS rare.
Absomphe
Holey Cow!
Steyr850
Worth more before he fucked it up.

'Tard
jacal01
Looks authentic, albeit homemade, to me.

Think our fountains will be worth anything a century from now?
Stroller
What size drill bit did you use Jacal?
jacal01
Actually, with the raised lip around the hole, it looks punched out.

Notice the stamped dimple in the handle to hold the spoon on the glass rim. Looks like a functional spoon; the question is when was it made.

The fact that the hole is punched and not drilled speaks toward its possible manufacture before the advent of the hand drill. The relative aged appearance of the hole wall would be telling.

One could speculate that a number of these were made by an enterprising machinist for sale to the local bistros, or maybe just for friends and personal use.

I’m just saying.
Donnie Darko
I have a rare silver 3-slotted absinthe spoon for sale too, if anyone is interested.
jacal01
Pffft. Not so rare.
hartsmar
It's perfect for picking up large chunks of sediment!
traineraz
Donnie, that's an absinthe spork. They were most popular in Kentucky, and first created by a gentleman named Sanders.

You may or may not recall my vintage absinthe spork collection, so I will post the photo again.

IPB Image

When using an absinthe spork, you set the cube in the bowl, drip a little water in, and actually let the sugar dissolve slightly. Then you tilt the spork so the liquid drains through the tines, which keep the remaining sugar from falling into your drink.

Once the cube is largely dissolved, you just drip normally and let the overflow do its thing.

The two-tined sporks serve double duty as defensive weapons, should someone reach for your glass without permission.
Jane Avril
This looks like a Bohemian ritual spoon on eBay. It seems more and more that eBay is for things you can't even give away.

The stroon they give away with slurpies could be used as a makeshift fountain and sugar cube holder in one. abs-cheers.gif
traineraz
Only if you're making a Slerpis.
Wild Bill Turkey
You see guys on west-Texas cattle drives wearing These hats all the time.
jacal01
Yeppers. Also part of their ensemble.

QUOTE(mthuilli @ Jun 14 2006, 01:00 AM) *

The best I've seen so far...Prepare your drill

Bought the thing though, didn't you? Bet it's authentic.

Pablo hisself.
The Standard Deviant
mthuilli won it!
traineraz
Ouch. Thems look painful.

Had a look through, they do make some ugly shooz.
Jack Batemaster
I cunt b'lieve MToolie "beat" me to these:

IPB Image
traineraz
More Fluevogs?

Ain't you got enuff?
Marc
Yes I finally bought this spoon for 1€, I'm just curious, I will study it closely.

Mr Jacky (ask Sixela what a 'Jacky' is over here), I also have a wife and a 4 years old daughter, so I'm not using eBay only for myself.
But if you really like them, I can try to find the same pair for you depending on your shoe size.
Amdusias
And in the new e-bay auction catagory we have a bottle cap...yep, a modern bottle cap from a bottle of TRUL 1792 ABSINTHIUM. The auction states you get the cap exactly as shown in the pic. In the pic it is still attached to an unopened bottle of Trul 1792. Is this merely an attempt to get around the ebay ban on selling booze or is someone in for a nasty surprise at the end of the auction when they recieve only a bottle cap...starting price is $65.00!

here it is.
traineraz
I imagine it'd be a nastier surprise if the cap WERE still attached to the unopened bottle.
Amdusias
Only if they tried drinking it...

I just noticed it is a fellow Hoosier selling it...I feel shame frusty.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
BTW, Amdusias, That link doesn't work. When I pulled your quote apart and ran the item number, it links to a Pernod "cowboy hat".

Edit: Here we go...
Steve
I'd rather have the hat than the bottle (or bottle cap) but that is NOT a cowboy hat. I grew up with cowboys. That is some silly beach hat.
Wild Bill Turkey
You misspelled "silly biatch".
Steve
Sorry, my mistake!
Jack Batemaster
QUOTE(mtoolie @ Jun 24 2006, 02:22 AM) *

...Mr Jacky (ask Sixela what a 'Jacky' is over here)...

Whatever Jacky means, I'm sure it applies...
Amdusias
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Jul 19 2006, 09:46 PM) *

BTW, Amdusias, That link doesn't work. When I pulled your quote apart and ran the item number, it links to a Pernod "cowboy hat".

Edit: Here we go...

my mistake...I beg your forgiveness, I know better than to multitask when copy pasting stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-TRUL-1792-ABSINTHI...1QQcmdZViewItem
Kirk
The fact that the hole is punched and not drilled speaks toward its possible manufacture before the advent of the hand drill

When would that be?
brucer
11,000 BC is the normal answer. but I believe some paleaolithic teeth have been found that were drilled with a (presumably) flint hand-drill.

Bruce
Kirk
Yes, tiny holes were found drilled from the back side of rear molars in Paleolithic skulls.
While we don't know how they did the drilling we believe the purpose of the small holes was to insert clove oil or other medicines, the hole acts as a reservoir.
So this spoon could be as old as 25,000 years.
Absomphe
And, as we are surely all aware, the hole puncher ante-dated the hand drill by countless millennia.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Kirk @ Jul 21 2006, 06:11 AM) *

this spoon could be as old as 25,000 years.

Are there any Gombault catalouge illustrations that might show what they were making at that time?
Marc
Seriously, I still can't find what it was used for, Oxy neither but it's certainly not an absinthe spoon.
The hole and the notch both look authentic though, this is weird...

The only problem is the length of the spoon : 21.2cm long & 13.8cm between the hole and the notch blink.gif You need a large absinthe glass !

Here is the picture again, have a laugh :
IPB Image
traineraz
Is it April 1 already?
Absomphe
Wassamater, can't you read directly above your own post?

It's today, dumass.
Amdusias
I think this was the forerunner of the classic practical joke, the dribble glass. While the dribble spoon was not as successful as the glass it was the first of the practical joke dinner wares.
Marc
Or maybe the first Cormenier fake, when he was a young young boy playing with his first tool box.
crosby
I have to re-post this from time to time. Head being helpful during one of my early chats with Oxy.
Marc
Is it the plexiglass spoon from Pernod Tarragona ?
I can't find the picture from Phil to compare but the Pernod one is real, a must have wink.gif
Amdusias
I do believe that plexiglass spoon should be offered to everyone who practices the equally vintage "burning" method of drinking absinthe. biggrin.gif
Wild Bill Turkey
I love Louchey.
Amdusias
[after many takes - and many spoonfuls of Vitameatavegamin (containing alcohol)]
Lucy Ricardo: Well, I'm your Vitavigavegivat Girl. Are you tired, run down, listless? Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular?
[pause]
Lucy Ricardo: Well, are you? The answer to all your problems is in this little ol' bottle, Vitameatavegamin.
[Checks the bottle label]
Lucy Ricardo: That's it. Vitameatavegamin contains vitamins, meat, megetables and vinerals. So why don't you join the thousands of happy peppy people and get a great big bottle of Vitaveatyvemeanyminimoe. I'll tell you what you have to do. You have to take a whole tablespoonful after every meal. It's so tasty too. It's just like candy.
[Takes a bit of time, if not too much, trying to sample the liquid. Finally... ]
Lucy Ricardo: So everybody get a bottle of...
[pointing at the bottle]
Lucy Ricardo: this stuff.

mmmm....I wonder if it was a green liquid....
traineraz
If she were taking absinthe straight, she'd be sounding like Ralph Wiggum:

"It tastes like burning."
Wild Bill Turkey
¡¡¡ WTF ???
Jaded Prole
It's the Holy Grail!
traineraz
It's an absinthe flamefountain.

You fill it to just below the holes, and put it on a turntable set to 78 RPM. Light the absinthe on fire, then turn on the turntable. You may continue to add absinthe if you want more flinging of fire.
Artemis
Not long ago I and some other men helped a defenseless widow clean out the woods behind her house. Much sawing and dragging of tree limbs and deadfalls to a BIGASS burn pile, which we then set afire. Some little girls were playing with a Frisbee. One of my coworkers, after a case or so of Iron City beer, attempted to intercept the Frisbee on its way to the fire, and almost fell in head first himself. The Frisbee landed at the edge of the flames and quickly started to melt. Thinking even more quickly, Mr. Iron City snatched it and flung it backwards over his shoulder. The frisbee cut a perfect path through the air, spewing fire all the way, right into the chest of one of the little girls, setting her on fire for a second or two. Let's see the Czechs top that!
Stroller
QUOTE(Wild Bill Turkey @ Aug 16 2006, 12:44 PM) *

Early version of a Dribbleglass ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.