Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pernod SA Tarragona circa 1930
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > Absinthe & Absinthiana > Vintage Absinthe
Donnie Darko
Finally got over my sinus infection and found a very precious dog the wife and I rescued that had escaped and been missing for 4 days, so I decided it was time to celebrate, and poured a glass of the 1930 Pernod SA Oxy had for sale. This is descended from Edouard Pernod as opposed to Pernod Fils, so I'm expecting a noticeable difference from the Tarragonnas most are familiar with.

The basics:

COLOUR BEFORE WATER 8/10
Light amber, and slightly hazy

LOUCHE ACTION 9/10
Not as thick as Pernod Fils or preban Edouard, but thicker than any Tarragona I've seen.

COLOUR AFTER WATER 8/10
whitish amber with the slightest green touches, kind of murky

AROMA 27/30
smells like smooth buttery alcohol neat, thick with honey, anise and wood, but not dank musty wood. When louched, there is a semi room filling lemony boquet with surprisingly little alcohol heat when you sniff close to the glass. There's a creaminess to the louched aroma which almost smells like dairy.

MOUTH-FEEL 9/10
I'm giving this a 9 because of a distinct dryness present on the tongue that is really amazing. It's not as creamy as some preban brands, but creamy enough. This sort of dryness is something I've never tasted in an absinthe before and is really awe inspiring. One point was subtracted for it not being as creamy as the best.

TASTE 17/20

The absinthe has a LONG taste that evolves so I'm going to describe it in terms of time.
>10 seconds: Nice smooth alcohol reminiscent of very clean old brandy followed by a short wallop of bitterness mixed with a lemony/minty perfume.
>20 seconds: The alcohol heat dissipates, the bitterness evaporates and a lemon butter taste is accompanied by some surprisingly fresh tasting mint, backed up all the way with creamy anise with some woody nuances.
>30 seconds: Lemon and wormwood flowers. No bitterness whatsoever. Here's what's particularly strange: it's dry AND sweet. It FEELS dry, but TASTES sweet. I don't even know how that is possible, but that's what my mouth says. I guess the best way to put it is dry on the roof of the mouth but sweet on the sides and tip of the tongue?
>45 seconds: This is when it is most delicious. Wormwood, mint, anise and fennel with a persistent lemon undertone all seem to fuse into a big fruity whole. This is the one point where I can see similarities to Jade Edouard, except it is much dryer on the palate, and the alcohol base is far less obtrusive than Edouard (I'm sure age contributes). I've never tasted an absinthe this dry. But the minty/fennel component is definitely similar to JEdouard.
>90 seconds: Still very dry, with the right kind of fennel subtly keeping this long aftertaste going, and every now and then good wormwood peeks in to say hello.

OVERALL IMPRESSION 8/10
This is the best post-ban commercial absinthe I've had, it's delicately balanced, and the dryness has an effect on your mouth reminiscent of a nice mild cigar. Did I mention it was dry? Strangely, I taste none of the Coriander Edouard is famous for featuring, but I'm convinced the distinct dryness is directly due to Coriander. Perhaps the peppery Coriander nuances simply deteriorated with age and all that was left was the drying effect it has on the palate. To be honest it only vaguely resembles a sample of Pre ban Edouard Pernod I had back around 2001. The pre ban Edouard was more bitter, and much denser in the glass, to the point of seeming almost chewy and smoky, with hints of maple people have mentioned before. The Tarragonna distillery must have changed the recipe or process, and certainly the herb sources from the Couvet/Pontarlier Edouard. This one is more floral and not as dense or full flavoured, but still a better drink than most.

TOTAL 86/100

Anybody else try it? I'm surprised no one else has commented on it yet, I'd be curious to hear everyone else's thoughts.
Oxygenee
Great review!

Can I ask you to put it quickly in Buyers Guide format ? You really just need to give scores, the text can more-or-less be used as is.
Donnie Darko
Done.
hartsmar
Thank you!
I will be updating the guide during the afternoon/evening.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 20 2006, 05:51 PM) *

Done.

Perfect.

Now we need a volunteer to do the Bazinet. Anyone?
Jack Batemaster
Send me sum.
hartsmar
I'll add the Cuban Albado later on this week. Actually, I think I'm with Jack on this one. biggrin.gif
sixela
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 20 2006, 04:51 PM) *

Done.

Perfect.

You mean you want me to translate my review on the Heure Verte forum?
Absomphe
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 20 2006, 08:51 AM) *

Done.

Sorry, I have two left feet, so I don't dance.
hartsmar
Review has been added to the Buyer's Guide forum.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.