Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hitler vs. Coulter
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > The Newgate Calendar
Pages: 1, 2
traineraz
Can you guess which quote came from whom?

Hitler vs. Coulter Quiz

BrSpiritus
QUOTE(traineraz @ Jun 22 2006, 08:21 PM) *

Can you guess which quote came from whom?

Hitler vs. Coulter Quiz

I got 12 right.
Absomphe
Ditto, for me.

It was actually fairly easy, since the more intelligently worded quotes were obviously Hitler's.
jacal01
Thereby illustrating the constancy of scapegoats and demagogues.
MrsAbsomphe
Thirteen correct for me.

blink.gif

---Tish looking-up.gif
Donnie Darko
I got all of them right.

Who is Ann Coulter?
traineraz
She's the one who writes at a high school level, so the majority of her audience will admire her sophisticated prose.

I got 13 right myself, and also based many of my choices on language more than content.
sixela
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 23 2006, 04:37 AM) *

I got all of them right.

So did I. It's easy to pick the greater orator of the two.

Although one Coulter quote is nearly perfectly Hitlerian, though:

"Here the liberal's procedure is as follows: He approaches the worker, simulates pity with his fate, or even indignation at his lot of misery and poverty, thus gaining his confidence...With infinite shrewdness he fans the need for social justice, somehow slumbering in every American man, into hatred against those who have been better favored by fortune..."

Translate that in German and you can almost hear how Hitler would have said that (and the proper tone of voice, and guess that he would have used this in the middle of his speeches, not at the end).
eric
It is easy to see the parallel. I guess that if Hitler had been an American, He prolly would also have been a Republican. A nice reassuring thought.
Donnie Darko
At that time period, yes. 60 years earlier and he probably would have been a bonafide Democrat.

I could totally see Fraülein Coulter in the role of Eva Braun. Ilsa Coulter, She-Wolf of the SS! I'd still pick her over Hitler though. Coulter is just an icy liar with little measurable influence. The only time people pay attention to her is when she gets a pie in the face or attacks 9/11 wives.
traineraz
Now, if someone got a pic of her face-down in some pie, THAT'D be news!
Absomphe
(M)Ann Coulter?

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
sixela
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 23 2006, 05:54 PM) *

Coulter is just an icy liar with little measurable influence.

Well, that's what they thought of Hitler even after he attempted a coup in 1923.

Jack Batemaster
Who the fuck is Xitler?
Wild Bill Turkey
"I knew Adolf Hitler. I served with Adolf Hitler. Adolf Hitler was a friend of mine.
Ms Coulter, you're no Adolf Hitler."
traineraz
Thank you, Herr Floyd Bunsen Burner.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(sixela @ Jun 23 2006, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 23 2006, 04:37 AM) *

I got all of them right.

So did I. It's easy to pick the greater orator of the two.

Although one Coulter quote is nearly perfectly Hitlerian, though:

"Here the liberal's procedure is as follows: He approaches the worker, simulates pity with his fate, or even indignation at his lot of misery and poverty, thus gaining his confidence...With infinite shrewdness he fans the need for social justice, somehow slumbering in every American man, into hatred against those who have been better favored by fortune..."

Translate that in German and you can almost hear how Hitler would have said that (and the proper tone of voice, and guess that he would have used this in the middle of his speeches, not at the end).

That quote is by Hitler.
Artemis
Here the liberal's procedure is as follows: He approaches the worker, simulates pity with his fate, or even indignation at his lot of misery and poverty, thus gaining his confidence...With infinite shrewdness he fans the need for social justice, somehow slumbering in every American man, into hatred against those who have been better favored by fortune...

With the possible exception of the word "hatred", it's dead on accurate no matter who said it. Substitute "envy" for "hatred" and I can find no fault with it. If Ted Kennedy threw good parades, who knows what could happen.
Nymphadora
But Ted Kennedy throws good parties......just be wary of his nephews.
Donnie Darko
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 24 2006, 02:24 PM) *

Here the liberal's procedure is as follows: He approaches the worker, simulates pity with his fate, or even indignation at his lot of misery and poverty, thus gaining his confidence...With infinite shrewdness he fans the need for social justice, somehow slumbering in every American man, into hatred against those who have been better favored by fortune...

With the possible exception of the word "hatred", it's dead on accurate no matter who said it. Substitute "envy" for "hatred" and I can find no fault with it.

I don't presume to speak for every Liberal on the planet as Ms. Coulter/Mr. Hitler laughably do (funny how they posture knowing everything about Liberalism, never having been one), but it's not even a remotely accurate description of this Liberal.
sixela
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 24 2006, 07:24 PM) *

With the possible exception of the word "hatred", it's dead on accurate no matter who said it.

It all depends, obviously, how you define "liberal". Not everyone in the world defines that word as an insult, you know.

sixela
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 24 2006, 08:12 AM) *

That quote is by Hitler.

Ah. That explains a lot. So it means that Ann Coulter is even more inept an orator than I would have thought.

Thank God. I like my misguided people inept - shrewd misguided people do a lot more damage (just witness that Bavarian painter).
Donnie Darko
Here's my personal favourite Ann Coulter quote from her book:

"Liberals seek to destroy sexual orientation in order to destroy morality".

She's such the Master of the Obvious. Once I get my Mangina, the world's morals will be obliterated, mwahahahaha!
Fredie
Hey,Hitler did give Germany the Autobahn...
which would be perfect for dragging Coulter's body over at 180 Km until she's a dead lifeless corpse...yes.gif
So maybe he wasn't such a bad guy after all!!! wacko.gif
Donnie Darko
Um, being a reasonable Liberal, I draw the fun line at Ann Coulter getting a pie in the face.

If you want to spew hate speech on the same level Ms. Coulter operates on, that's your business, but it's about the furthest thing from sane discourse I've seen here in awhile.
Fredie
You're absolutely right Donnie... but you must excuse me, I just spent 3 weeks in europe and had to return to the redneck parallel universe that is Florida...... and tit for tat (or tat for tit in her case) response to the overwhelming stupidity that exists in the country was merely an immediate solution to the problem as much as it was wishful thinking on my part....
I do admire your fight the good fight perspective however....
though with the likes of Republicans and the fanatical right it's a bit like trying to put out a gasoline fire with a waterpik at times. frusty.gif
Artemis
"Not everyone in the world defines that word as an insult, you know."

"Liberal" is the other problematic word in the quote, but it seemed pointless to dwell on that one. She knew who she was talking about, and so do I: Ted and his ilk. Ann Coulter is just another of the many writers, radio hosts, etc. taking advantage of a trend - Conservative books, Conservative radio shows, etc. They're not all of the same quality. She has her audience, as does George Will - it's not the same audience, is my guess. Comparing any of them to Hitler seems extreme, as is the comparison to Kennedy, but at least Coulter isn't actually in politics.
traineraz
I'm not sure I'd say someone isn't in politics simply because she isn't running for or currently occupying an elected office. Coulter certainly makes her living in politics, and is influential among a certain audience in regard to politics.

I'd be more likely to compare her to Atlanta Hope than Adolf Hitler, though.
Artemis
I should have said she's not actually passing laws or setting policy. She's political, but what influence she has on politics I can't say. I tried reading one of her books, but it was too pablumistic and kneejerky for me.
Donnie Darko
"Pablumistic". What a great use of that word!

Nearly all political books serve the same purpose: to reinforce already held preconceptions. Every now and then you might get some illuminating information from them, or perhaps find some humour in it, but usually the books don't have much of a message beyond bashing the shit out of their opponents. Some do it well, others poorly. Coulter is a lousy writer with a lousy research team. Christopher Hitchens on the other hand is sharp witted, a gifted contrarian and well researched, even though I tend to disagree with the drunk bastard.

A long time ago somebody must have said something bad about either a Liberal or a Conservative, and since then it seems each new book is a "rebuttal" against the previous one. Most political book money is made off books that "rebut" the previous attacks, which were intended as "rebuttals" of the previous attacks from the other side, ad infinitum. It's kind of like the Israel Palestine conflict except in print instead of blood.

I prefer reading history books, and figuring out the politics behind both sides on my own. That usually tells you more about our current situation than current political commentary.
Nymphadora
I agree that history books give incredible insight with regards to modern politics. I see the centuries' old debates / philosophy of the Romans Cicero vs. Epicurus on a daily basis.
Oxygenee
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 27 2006, 01:33 AM) *

Took me a moment to realise what it meant, but Artemis has just created history - "pablumistic" has never been used on the internet before. A Google search returns zero results.

Latin: pabulum = foodstuff
1930: three Canadian pediatricians invent an infant cereal, later marketed by the Mead Johnson corporation as Pablum.
Pablum becomes a generic word for infant cereal, especially in Canada. Over time, in lower case, the word comes to signify anything bland or oversimplified, especially a work of literature or speech.
26th June 2006: Artemis use "pablumistic" on the Fee Verte forum. Lexicographers around the world update their records.
27th June 2006: Artemis' Fee Verte tag line changed to reflect this momentous event.
27th June 2006: New site logo under development: Feeverte.net - Neologisms “Я” Us.
Wild Bill Turkey
QUOTE(Artemis @ Jun 26 2006, 01:02 PM) *

I tried reading one of her books, but it was too pablumistic and kneejerky for me.

I really hope that the word "kneejerky" doesn't also come from a food product.
Donnie Darko
HA!
Fredie
QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 26 2006, 02:33 PM) *

Coulter is a lousy writer with a lousy research team. .

She has a research team? I'll bet her next book will be translating Mein Kampf into "New-South" Speak for her inbred legions....
Or has she already done that? viking_emoticon.gif
She's nothing more than hack with a niche.... hatemongering. It gets her a paycheck and keeps her supplied with Cosmos.... I don't think anyone on the political right even takes her seriously. But they love that she's out there doing what she does, which is basically being the first one in the mob to yell "Burn the Witch!" torch.gif
Absomphe
...When s(h)e's not standing in front of a mirror asking "Who's the fairest of them all"? lee.gif
Fredie
True that.
Wild Bill Turkey
That's dat.
Donnie Darko
Here's another incredibly accurate quote by our favourite warm and fuzzy Coulter bunny:

--"Even Islamic terrorists don't hate America like liberals do."

Yeah, you know me. When 9/11 happened, I was so bummed because I had all these plans to hijack a plane from Newark and fly it into the Twin Towers, but I had booked my ticket for September 12th! So not only did the terrorists steal my America-hating thunder and beat me to the punch, but I was out a $250 one way plane ticket! But I'm tenacious, I'm not giving up. I'll get you yet, America!

You just wait. Donnie Darko's name will be up in lights alongside such Liberal terrorist masterminds as Timothy McVeigh, Eric Rudolph and Ted "freedombomber" Kaczynski.
celticgent
donnie, you don't have to keep proving that you're WITH the terrorists.

shut your liberal facehole.
eric
The thing I hate about those pesky liberals is all the pleasure they took when the US soccer team gots its ass whupped at the world cup.
Donnie Darko
Well duh, the world cup is in Germany. We Liberals are still furious about winning WWII, which is why we're rooting for the Nazis this time around.
alanmoss
QUOTE(Oxygenee @ Jun 26 2006, 10:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Donnie Darko @ Jun 27 2006, 01:33 AM) *

Took me a moment to realise what it meant, but Artemis has just created history - "pablumistic" has never been used on the internet before. A Google search returns zero results.

Sorry, Oxy: you're wrong. See this search of Google Groups.
Fredie
QUOTE(celticgent @ Jun 28 2006, 08:56 AM) *

donnie, you don't have to keep proving that you're WITH the terrorists.

shut your liberal facehole.

Congraduations Celt!
You've just won our "Win a date with Ann Coulter" contest
The Standard Deviant
I think Oxy meant web when he said Internet, but while we're nitpicking, 'pabulumistic' does reveal some results on a web search, but not 'pablumistic'.
Donnie Darko
Al Franken uses "Pabulumistic" in his book. Is Artemis sleeping with the enemy?
Kirk
I always liked Morton Downey's "Pablum puker".
Pataphysician
Whoo-hoo! Morton Downey! I haven't heard that name in a long time. Ya know, public discourse has actually improved since Morton Downey.
Fredie
Ah Morty..... who else could beat himself up in a restroom and blame it on neo-nazis all in an attempt to get media coverage..... well, Ann Coulter I suppose.

Too bad he died..... at least he was entertaining.... in a can't look away from a trainwreck sorta way.
Artemis
I drew a complete blank when I tried to come up with just the right word. So I made one up. I had never seen or heard it before I wrote it. I've made up better ones, to be sure, but such is life for the undeservedly famous.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.