Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CACHÉ
The Fée Verte Absinthe Forum - The Oldest, Largest, Most Authoritative Absinthe Forum. > The Monkey Hole > Entertainment
Stomp Brockmore
After meaning to see this film in the theatre when it was released and somehow never making it, I finally got to see it last night. It was worth the wait. It's incredible! I've been a fan of Michael Haneke's work since I saw Funny Games several years ago, but I think this might be his best work yet.

For anybody who might not know, it stars Juliette Binoche and Daniel Auteuil as a well off Parisian couple whose comfortable life is disturbing by the sudden appearance of mysterious surveillance videotapes that show them that they are being watched. It builds from there in brilliant ways. It's shocking.

I almost don't want to say anything else about it, because the film is probably best going in knowing as little as possible, but it plays with the conventions of the thriller genre in fascinating ways, and is completing unsettling and disturbing all the way through, right up to the final shot (which I have to say is one of the most brilliant final shots I've seen in a long time). Huge recommendation!

Donnie Darko
Thanks. I loved the Piano Teacher, so I'll probably see this one. Michael Haneke is one sick fuck.
traineraz
Added to my queue, tanx to you!
Donnie Darko
It finally reached the top of my queue and I saw it.

Ouch.

I don't want to say much about it to anyone who might see it either, but it will make you think about possible events in your life in a way you probably would rather not. It's scarier than most horror movies, but it's not a horror movie.

Here are some key things that make it great though. There's not one fucking note of music in the whole movie. Not one. Everything is shot in a voyeuristic hyper-realistic fashion where you feel like you're standing right in the room with the characters. It looks like it uses a lot of natural light too. Some shots are so dark you can barely see, but that's part of what makes it great. Plus the acting is outstanding. What he gets from his actors are things I generally think are impossible for actors prior to viewing his movies.

As for the last shot, it took me a few minutes after it ended to understand what he was trying to do with it, but it worked for me. It was just damned uncomfortable. In fact the whole movie was damned uncomfortable. Nobody does that better than Michael Haneke.
traineraz
Honestly, I found the lead grating at best in his senseless secrecy -- I wanted to punch him myself -- and the rest of the film was so uninspired and plodding that I don't even REMEMBER the final shot. The only emotion I felt throughout was the anger I kept picking up from every bitching, kvetching character.

Glad you all enjoyed it.
Marc
SPOILER

Call me slow, but I've watched "Caché" two days ago only and I think we can now talk freely about our own theories.

So here is mine : the videotaper is nobody, it's only Georges' guilty conscience.

I wanted to make sure of it so I've watched it a second time and analyzed the movie scene by scene.
1st & 2nd tape : it shows Georges' bourgeoisie
3rd tape : it shows Georges's childhood house, where the drama happened
3rd tape : it shows Majid's poverty
4th tape : it shows Majid's distress
5th tape : it could show Majid's son telling the truth to Georges' son, the story never ends

Some remarks I have in mind because of several theories about the videotaper being Georges or his son or Majid's son :
1 - nobody saw a camera in the street or in Majid's apartment
2 - videos are all of great quality (same as the movie itself), not from a small spy camera
3 - Haneke is spreading out false clues from time to time : anonymous call (could be anyone, some recognized Majid's son voice but even with a headphone it's impossible to tell), words said by Majid's son to Georges ("threaten, that's something you know very well" like if he had seen his father in the previous tape), final scene (where we can imagine both sons having a deal about the tapes)

Another theory I like is about Haneke himself, he could be the videotaper accusing Georges (same images color and quality).

My 2 cents, what's yours ?
Donnie Darko
Just read a great article on Haneke in the NY Times magazine, about him remaking Funny Games shot-for-shot for an American audience:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/23/magazine…amp;oref=slogin

The man is a genius. I'm actually looking forward to the US version of Funny Games, just to see how he revisits his own work.

As for Mthuilli's post (which I just now read), I think that's a very interesting idea that the filmer is Haneke himself, and after watching the movie again I think that makes the most sense, especially in the context of what he says in the NY Times article.

I was horrified to read, however, that Ron Howard is doing a remake of Caché.
Marc
A remake? it really doesn't make sense, that's just plain stupid.
Wild Bill Turkey
The Ron Howard version is also going to be in french, using many of the same actors, and even a few key locations, like the apartment seen in the opening shot. He's offered no explanation for why he's doing the film.
Donnie Darko
Huh. Maybe his intent is like Gus Van Sant's homage to Psycho, which was a shot-for-shot reproduction simply because he admired Hitchcock and wanted to see what it would be like to recreate the movie. I guess it's kind of like a well-known musician playing a cover of a song by another band they like.

Ron Howard doesn't seem the type to play with such discomfort-inducing cinema as a Michael Haneke film though. The guy turned ugly schizophrenia into a palatable sugar pill with that lame-o film "A Beautiful Mind", so I can't imagine him being able to get Caché to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2018 Invision Power Services, Inc.